New Commodore 64 Homebrew Game - Super Bread Box!

Started by TrekMD, October 19, 2013, 22:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

The folks from RGCD will be releasing a new, limited edition, game for the C64 called Super Bread Box... 

[align=center:37s5mzie]

[/align:37s5mzie]

Super Bread Box is an official conversion of the 2010 indie classic Super Crate Box for the C64 computer, developed by Commodore enthusiast Paul Koller and published on cartridge by Vlambeer and RGCD. A cut-down version of Super Bread Box was developed for the 2012 RGCD 16K C64 Game Development Competition, which it won. Since then it has grown to become a full game that includes almost all of the features of the original, as well as three new and exclusive levels and additional playable characters from the modern day C64 and indie gaming scene!

[align=center:37s5mzie]Super Bread Box Trailer on Vimeo[/align:37s5mzie]

[align=center:37s5mzie]Full details can be found here:
 [size=180]Super Bread Box (Commodore 64)[/size][/align:37s5mzie]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

I was actually going to post about this myself today, as RGCD themselves sent me this press release:

QuoteHi there! I'm James Monkman, the editor of indie/retro news site and retro publisher RGCD (www.rgcd.co.uk). I am sure that (like me) you receive press releases and review requests all the time, so I'll try to keep this super short and concise...

Remember Vlambeer's Super Crate Box? Well, at the GameCity festival in Nottingham (on the 22/10/2013) we'll be launching Super Bread Box, the official, fully-featured Commodore 64 port by Paul Koller and co-published by RGCD and Vlambeer.

I'll give you a second to compose yourself. OK?

I won't bore you with explaining what Super Crate Box is, nor why it shouldn't be even possible on the C64, and will instead list some of the main features of the 8-Bit port below:

•   EXPLOSIVE GENUINE 8-BIT ACTION! Running at full 50Hz on the 64KB RAM, 1MHz Commodore hardware, Super Bread Box pushes the machine to its very limits!
•   THREE NEW LEVELS! Super Bread Box features the original three levels from Super Crate Box, plus three new and exclusive levels inspired by the C64 scene!
•   16 PLAYABLE CHARACTERS! Including three exclusive cameos!
•   SID CHIP RENDITIONS OF EIRIK SUHRKE'S OST! Forget Famitracker - Goattracker is where the real party is at!
•   ALL THE WEAPONS FROM THE ORIGINAL! Yes, including the disc-gun.
•   ...AND ONLINE SCORES! What? Yep, Super Bread Box has its own website (www.superbreadbox.com) where you can enter codes generated by the game to upload your scores and keep a record of the total number of 'bread boxes' collected worldwide! When you register you can even opt to receive email notifications when your score is beaten(!)

The game will be available to buy in three flavours:

A REAL Commodore 64 cartridge, boxed with stickers, a poster, manual and other goodies (£30).
As an A2/A3 poster & download bundle (£5).
Or as a download (£1.99).

The download comes as a cartridge rom ready to run with the 32-Bit Windows version of the VICE emulator (tested on XP and Win7). VICE is also available to download for a wide variety other OS.

You can also download the limited 16KB version as a 'proof of concept demo' and the C64 soundtrack for FREE.

Alright then - I think that covers it. Check the official website for more info/screenshots/product photos/trailer.

LINKS:

http://www.superbreadbox.com/
(Official website, with downloads, shop links and trailer video)

http://rgcd.bigcartel.com/artist/vlambeer
(RGCD store page)

Ok! Thanks for taking time out from your busy schedules to read this, and please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss any other details. Please play the game and upload your scores!