Author Topic: RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine  (Read 18798 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2017, 00:14:02 AM »
This thread has not see any activity in a long time but there is an update that I wanted to post that I received on email.  The magazine is under new management...

Hello! From the New Ownership Team!

Hello!

This is Eli Galindo, and I just wanted to reach out to the full list of subscribers, backers, members, etc of the Magazine to give you a quick update of what is happening.

First off, we are slowly building relationships with new and previous writers. As I have told every one of them, the new RETRO Magazine will be very open to any professional writer that wants to come in and pitch articles of topics that they are passionate about (within the Retro Gaming spectrum). I hope that this way it will not feel like a shore, or topics will not be forced to writers and they would enjoy writing for the Magazine.

Second, the main concern of buying the magazine assets was all the people that were left hanging with pending subscriptions or issues when the business went burst. So we have been working on ways and coming up with ideas to do right by them. We've been talking with about 300 subscribers that have 1 issue pending to take care first, then we will move up to about 750 subscribers that have 2 or more issues left. We got a pallet full of back issues that some of these subscribers don't have so we'll be offering these plus other goodies.

Once all or most of the pending subscribers are taken care of, the Website and may be a patreon campaign will be open; here we will only charge you when a new issue is ready to print (digital version 100% ready) this way we do not commit the mistakes of the past. We would need a minimum of 1000 subs to make a physical print run.

We will re-launch the campaign with issue 13th which will be the last themed issue there will ever be due that we have to honor some dealings with some third parties. After this issue is available (digital only) we will stop doing themed issues, increase the amount of content pages to 100+ and reduce the magazine issues from quarterly to bi-yearly. This will ensure the magazine has the best content under the Retro Gaming spectrum and not so much filler content.

At the moment I am a bit busy finishing up the Iron Commando IndieGogo campaign and working on the new Wisdom Tree Kickstarter (Shameless plug, check it out if you are interested in new NES games or Sega Genesis games!). But we'll be shipping out all the pending subs issues in the next few weeks and working on the Issue 13th to have a release date of the last week of October.

Is you have any comments or questions, please let me know, I try to answer emails as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
The New RETRO Magazine Team

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Online zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 03, 2017, 12:02:39 PM »
Interesting update, thanks fella..

Look forward to where this goes.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2017, 12:17:05 PM »
That's what I told them.  I'm curious to see where he takes this. 

Online zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 03, 2017, 12:29:58 PM »
So i take it PIKO have full control of this mag?
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2017, 12:33:16 PM »
Apparently only Eli. Yes, he is from PIKO but looks like he's the one in charge of the magazine as well as the auction site (Game Gavel).  It has actually stirred some controversy.

Online zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 03, 2017, 12:34:58 PM »
Where mate?

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 03, 2017, 12:37:35 PM »
When he presented this at AA there was some discussion because some folks have a "lifetime" membership as sellers on Game Gavel and they expect that to be honored.  It became a heated issue.

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #172 on: August 03, 2017, 17:23:48 PM »
Because of the damage and rep done to the magazine from the previous owner, you can and have to take into consideration of the customer that it could go the same route, and also what experience is here in regards to running an auction site or a fully fledged commercial magazine?  Hiring freelancers and them making sure they'll be paid, shipping logistics, printing logistics, proof readers and finishing touches, requires a team of about 8-10 people working on this for days and weeks. I read a few issues, found some of it great and a large majority of it pants, in saying that a certain person we all know has written for it after countless times saying he'd never write for a bias American retro gaming magazine lol..what a bullshitter..HaHa. But I'm thinking have gaming magazine reached their perk? With a majority of company profiles and previous games covered and even lost games and other things covered now, where can new information be recovered from that we haven't already read or seen? It's getting very hard these days to come up with fresh content you can't obtain from the net?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 13:15:27 PM by zapiy »

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 03, 2017, 20:04:34 PM »
It seems their plan is to just do a digital version twice a year.  It will only see print if enough people are interested and preorder the printed version.  I suppose time will tell. 

Online zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 04, 2017, 13:15:53 PM »
I wish them luck, we shall see i guess.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 04, 2017, 17:10:15 PM »
Yeah, I wish them good luck too but I think it might be too little too late for the magazine and for Game Gavel.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2017, 23:25:50 PM »

Issue 13 has been released!  Remember this is the first issue under the new administration.  I got the issue already as a free issue.  I'll report once I read it.

You can look for it here:  RETRO Magazine Issue #13 Digital.

If you are interested in Physical format for this issue. We have launched a Patreon campaing for it, and for future physical issues. As soon as we hit the goal Issue 13th will go to the print shop. Yearly subscription will be only $8.50 and will entitle you to 2 issues a year; one targeted to be delivered during the Summer, and one during Holiday season.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2017, 23:38:33 PM »
I got the email but I haven't downloaded it yet. I am interested in seeing the new look.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2017, 23:45:54 PM »
I haven't read it yet but did a quick flip through.  I like it!  It is definitely a retro magazine now.