RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine

Started by zapiy, October 19, 2013, 16:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Well, I finally had a chance to sit and read issue 5.  One of the nicest reads was the article that focused on the Flashback systems for the Atari 2600, Intellivision, and ColecoVision systems.  The article discusses the original console wars and h as sidebar interviews with Keith Robinson (Intellivision Productions) and Mark Thomann (River West Brands, owner of Coleco).  Both of those are rather short but they are still nice.  There's a nice review of all the Flashbacks along with a listing of games for each one. 

The other cool article is the one that talks about collecting Castlevania, which spans from retro to modern!

I'm hoping that there is more retro content and interviews with folks like Keith and Mark on the second year of the magazine, though.  I'm also hoping they watermark the magazine PDF in some other spot!  Having a watermark within the text is quite annoying!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Greyfox

Ohh dear that old gremlin still hanging about? , sounds like a good issue :)

guest5080

Quote from: "Greyfox"Ohh dear that old gremlin still hanging about? , sounds like a good issue :)

We are still working hard to make everyone happy.  It is rather difficult in 68 pages, but now we are at 76 for issue 7 I think that will help.  We have some great stuff coming from Warren Davis and SCORPIA :)  Oh, we are also bringing on Graeme Mason for some UK perspective. 

TrekMD

Cool to see thee Grame is joining!  The watermark was still there on Issue 5 or, least, my issue 5.  If you're permanently removing it, that's great.  Thanks!

zapiy

How's things looking guys?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Banshee

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Banshee

TrekMD

It does look more generic but I think I like it better.  At least, the classic/retro content (at least the reviews) seems to have a larger spotlight.

Banshee

Looks like this thing is out of money. They are putting out a Mike Kennedy interview only issue, which no one has any interest in reading.

zapiy

Shame if that's correct, i guess the retro bubble has burst (a little).

AmigaJay

No surprise no one wants to fund a fraudulent person anymore to be blunt about it!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

He certainly is feeling the effects of some silly decisions.

TrekMD

I know the Kickstarter was very important for this to get started and for the second year.  I wonder how many subscriptions it got outside of Kickstarter.  If it was mostly funded by Kickstarter money then I can see it running out of steam. 

Shadowrunner

Yeah, not surprising. I don't see anyone buying an interview issue!