The Nintendo Game Boy Discussion Thread

Started by TrekMD, September 22, 2013, 03:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Sounds interesting, but will depend on the quality of it.

TrekMD

It's only available for preoder now, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what people who get it think about it.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TrekMD

The guys from Game Sack have released a video discussing the Gameboy!  Enjoy!

[align=center:1uearwe1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzuuU9PU9-c&feature=em-subs_digest[/align:1uearwe1]

zapiy

I got my Lynx out today and found an old Gameboy in a box next to it.. This is an original Gameboy, never knew i had this but it got in there somehow lol..

My lad could not believe the size of it, we had a bash on the few games i have including Tetris.. I have this at work now, might as well use it more and show my love of retro of lol..

In fact a few guys at work said "oh wow, not seen one of them for years" and a few said "what the hell is that" lol.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Shadowrunner

Nice find! It's primitive looking today for sure, but Tetris is still great on it :113:

MadCommodore

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"

Now that's all the great GameBoy games covered the thread may as well be locked...

:24:

Haha!!

The screen on the original Gameboy is absolutely useless for playing arcade games, people who owned old LCD hand helds like Galaxy Invader etc would be disappointed because it blurred any moving pixels as well as being pasty green and pasty yellow low contrast colour combination. It's a bit like an early 80s electronic typewriter green and yellow LCD and with a refresh rate measured in minutes.

Tetris is one of the few games you can put up with the horrible screen, horrible D-pad (terrible for diagonals) and shiny plastic useless domed fire buttons I think.  The only reason it even ended up on the Gameboy is because Robert Maxwell's idiot son fudged up the negotiations otherwise Andromeda Software UK would hae got the rights from the Kremlin. Yeah the whole thing is an amazing story.

Then again Nintendo never made anything cutting edge technically, from Famicom to Wii U they have a history of using the bare minimum technically to get by and make massive profits (whilst 3rd parties make huge losses as their conversions suffer due to terrible hardware compared to their other conversions sold on rival systems from Sega/Sony etc)

TrekMD

wyldephang

Pokemon Go for Android and iPhone has reminded me of another classic in the Game Boy library: Pokemon Red and Blue. The game was truly a milestone in handheld RPGs. I still have my Game Boy Color, but the screen has faded over time and it's not quite as enjoyable to play. Luckily, I own a Super Game Boy and can play all my cartridges through my Super Nintendo to experience it on the big screen. The Super Game Boy really does open up the entire Game Boy library. Some of those indie games look pretty good, Trek. I wonder if they'd be compatible.
- Ryan

TrekMD

Many times the games are compatible for play through Super Game Boy so it may be worth a try.  :)

TrekMD

Wow, 30 years since the release of the GameBoy. Where has time gone?  Here are various video commentaries celebrating the anniversary...

TrekMD

This thread has not had any posted in a while.  Just watched this and wanted to share it...

onthinice

The Nintendo Game Boy seems to still be full of surprises.

TrekMD