Who are your favourite video game bosses?

Started by TL, September 13, 2013, 20:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

So boss characters have become a staple of video games ever since Centuri's Phoenix was released in 1980 (the first game to feature a boss).

Over the years we have always had our favourites, so what are yours?

Here is my first nomination, Barbon from Streets Of Rage 2 on the Mega Drive

Streets of Rage 2/Bare Knuckle II Boss 1: Barbon

He is the first boss on the game and there is just something about him that gets me really hyped up! The first time you see him is behind the bar when he runs away from you. Then when you step outside into the rain he there waiting for you! I just love the way the music goes quiet and all you can here is the rain for a moment, then he utters the immortal taunt "C'mon!" and it's time to go! Something about the way he utters that just makes me want to beat the shit out of him. Hitting that last fireball as Blaze to take him out just feels so amazingly satisfying.

DreamcastRIP

Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Minerals

The boss battle at the end of Sonic 2 was always a memorable one for me, mainly because it took me so many bloody attempts before completing it. As if the Robo-Sonic that kept spin-attacking you wasnt hard enough, you then have to defeat a massive robotic Egg-Man.
I felt a massive sense of achievement when i finally beat this and still do to this day. Behold:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2, megadrive, Final Boss

DreamcastRIP

Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TL

Another favourite of mine is the final boss from Double Dragon, Machine Gun Willy!

He has a special place in my heart as Double Dragon was the first arcade game I ever completed and after beating him I turned round to see a crowd had gathered behind me and was cheering as I won, very special moment.

DreamcastRIP

AmigaJay

All the bosses from Wonderboy III The Dragons Trap on the Master System, I love dragons so the first time I saw them here blew me away!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

onthinice

The bosses from Golden Axe will always be tops for me. Revenge of Shinobi would be next.

Bobinator

I would nominate the end of Sonic 3 & Knuckles for basically being the best possible way to end the quadrillogy. It's pretty much one of the most epic (in the old sense of a term) endings to any game series I've seen, for a variety of reasons I'll wait on explaining for now.

But, to be less obvious, there's Namco's The Outfoxies. The whole game is sort of a proto Smash Brothers, mixed in with a bit of Rolling Thunder and Elevator Action Returns. You play as an assassin trying to kill a bunch of other assassins on places like a flooding aquarium and atop a train, so that this guy named Mr. Acme will pay you. There's no way this will backfire on you, right? (Spoilers: Yes, there is.) See 5:03.

THE OUTFOXIES (BETTY DOE 2/2) game play

And so, your employers decide it'd be a great idea to piss off the assassin who's just killed six or so other assassins in mortal combat. It's a great setpiece that has some great music attached to it, and it's a great end for what's basically an interactive action movie. I think my favorite part is how much of an understatement "Betty Doe Won" is at the end.

guest4826

Good Lord, there are so many over the years. I think that to this day, Dracula in the Castlevania games has always been a favorite, especially at the end of the original PC Engine CD version of Dracula X. It was really an awesome way to bring him back, freshen him up, and prove that Dracula is still a viable adversary. Awesome stuff.

The first time I got the the Queen Alien in Alien Trilogy for the Saturn it freaked me the Hell out too. Insanely hard boss battle and well woth the time to beat it if you get the time.

Mother Brain from the original Metroid was awesome too the first time you play against her. Just awesome stuff for it's time.

I too have to vote for Doctor Robotnik as well, long before he was Eggman. Just some really awesome ideas for the machines he would ride in and whatnot. Very cool.

TL

Another amazing boss that I have great memories of beating, the Spider Of Zendocon!

guest4826

Quote from: "The Laird"Another amazing boss that I have great memories of beating, the Spider Of Zendocon!

BWAHHH! Forgot about that one. I remember think that was so Damn cool the first time I saw it on the Lynx. Still kicks ass today too!