New Atari 2600 Homebrew - Brik

Started by TrekMD, September 12, 2013, 00:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Atari Age user RePixel8 has posted info about this very first game for the Atari 2600.  The original thread is here:  New 2600 game : "BRIK".  In his own words...

My first game, so I thought I'd share it in my first post  :)

I wanted to create an Arkanoid-style game for the 2600 that that improves on Breakout.  Key requirements were:

- Have many individually designed levels (unlike breakout which just has a solid wall).
 - Bricks should be displayed as individual blocks with horizontal division, not just solid rows.
 - Have bonus objects falling down the screen that can be collected.
 - Have an enemy that moves about the screen.
 - Fit into 4K for physical cartridge release.

It's been a bit of a challenge squeezing it all into 4K and within the available cycles.  However, after a lot of optimisation and many re-writes, it's done and *just* fits, although the sound had to be compromised.  It's been a bit of a learning experience I've have thoroughly enjoyed working within the limitations of the hardware and the programming environment.

4K rom is attached.  Hope you enjoy it.  Let me know what you think.

[align=center:16s4lrgy][/align:16s4lrgy]

[align=center:16s4lrgy][size=80]Posted with permission from RePixel8.[/size][/align:16s4lrgy]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

This is incredibly cool! I wish he would make a larger ROM version though and take full advantage of the hardware!

TrekMD

Seems like folks are trying to see just how much they can get out of the 4K space limit. 

Minerals

A simple game, but perfect for the 2600

zapiy

I love these type of games..

A must for the 2600

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

If anyone is interested, this game is going to be released in a cart.  In fact, it already was but the first run sold out immediately.  A second run is in the works.  Check out:  http://www.retro-reload.com/

sloan

Looks sweet, and I went to the Retro Reload site, but nowhere do I read if this game operates with paddle or stick controllers. Paddles: I am in. Stick: Maybe not.

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

I don't have it.  I missed the first wave of carts.  I signed up to be notified about the second wave.