New Atari 2600 Homebrew- Assembloids

Started by TrekMD, September 08, 2013, 21:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Atari Age user enthusi is working on a new homebrew game for the Atari 2600 - Assembloids.  You can find the original thread here:  New Game: Assembloids 2600

Here is an excerpt from his post:

[font=arial black:26qo3rba]It is a fast paced reaction puzzler in 4k for the wonderful Atari 2600.  Restricting myself to 4k was very important to me, since I consider it the original spirit of the machine and indeed, I am now increasingly nervous about the ROM size limit and fight for concepts and bytes already. Some space is left, but sound fx and a few other things are still missing as well.   I am very confident, however, that it will see the light soonish.

Your screen shows 5 windows. One central and one in each of the four neighboring sides.  A quarter of a face in a particular color is given in the central window and you can place it via joystick up, right, down, left if the corresponding tile is still empty - otherwise you're losing one of your precious lives. During all that the timer bar
decreases faster and faster...

Once a full face is complete, the window is cleared again and you score points.  The amount of points depends on the colors as you probably have guessed by now.  A full face of the same color gains you 300 points.
Having 3 face parts in the same color, still results in 100 points.  Only 2 parts of equal color give 40 points and a fully mixed face a mere 10 points.  In case you were able to clear ALL windows, a whopping extra 500 points and an extra life are added as well![/font:26qo3rba]

[align=center:26qo3rba] 
  [/align:26qo3rba]

[align=center:26qo3rba][size=80]Posted with permission from enthusi.[/size][/align:26qo3rba]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Really nice looking game!

Seems like it has potential to be very addictive too!  :16:

TrekMD

Yes it does.  He said he'll be posting a video soon of the gameplay.  One he does, I'll post it here as well.  :)

TrekMD

Here's a video of the game in action.  No audio yet, sorry...

[align=center:19jqydo9]Assembloids 2600 - preview[/align:19jqydo9]

onthinice

Nice!

I did hear that Skeletor is not happy, something about using his likeness :78:

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"I did hear that Skeletor is not happy, something about using his likeness :21:

onthinice

TrekMD

Here's an updated video of the game.  There is no sound on the video because of an issue with how it is being recorded.

[align=center:3g8oq6dr]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSmD2HUTm6Q&feature=player_embedded#t=0[/align:3g8oq6dr]

TrekMD

Here is another video of what is pretty much the completed version of the game.  This time, with sound!  :)

[align=center:3jyp7ch5]Assembloids 2600 - preview 4 (video capture)[/align:3jyp7ch5]

TL

TrekMD

In case you're curious, here is the C64 version, which I think is the original....

[align=center:3i10gx0g]Assembloids (16KB C64 Cartridge Version) (8580 SID)[/align:3i10gx0g]