Author Topic: Underappreciated Megadrive/Genesis Games  (Read 10831 times)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Underappreciated Megadrive/Genesis Games
« on: September 08, 2013, 19:38:39 PM »
Continuing my theme of threads for underappreciated games, this one is for the Megadrive/Genesis..

Mine are starting with Whip Rush

Tinhead is a platforming run-and-gun game that was published by Ballistic, You control a robot named Tinhead, who has to rescue the stars of the galaxy scattered about the planets by Grim Squidge while answering a distress call picked up by a space station. Its a fun game and another one i played for many hours once i picked it up.

There must be loads of games that never get appreciated like they should so whats yours.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TL

• View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Megadrive/Genesis Games
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 20:08:49 PM »
I agree with you on Whip Rush actually, it's a pretty decent game. But a very similar game that is also overlooked, and in my opinion a better game, is Arrow Flash:

Mega Drive Longplay [118] Arrow Flash

Interesting fact about Tinhead - A Jaguar version of this game was actually programmed and fully finished but never released. Somebody in the Jag community even tracked it down many years ago but couldn't get hold of the actual code/game.

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 21:31:01 PM »
Great call on Whip Rush, zapiy. A quality side scrolling shmup and no mistake.  :1:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Offline Alberto 2K

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 11:15:20 AM »
Need to try these games, I never played them and look great. :)
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

Offline Crusto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 18:47:58 PM »
I'll take this as an opportunity to plug Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday. For what it lacks graphically and sonically it more than makes up for in gameplay. It's really absorbing and will eat up hours of your life if you aren't careful. One of the best titles for the MD in my opinion

buck rogers countdown to doomsday megadrive/genesis review
Bitches leave

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 18:59:11 PM »
Quote from: "Crusto"
I'll take this as an opportunity to plug Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday. For what it lacks graphically and sonically it more than makes up for in gameplay. It's really absorbing and will eat up hours of your life if you aren't careful. One of the best titles for the MD in my opinion

http://youtu.be/PesQcZsm3mA

I second that and add Centurion: Defender of Rome.

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 21:03:30 PM »
So here's Scooby-Doo Mysteries, not to be confused with the SNES version, which is an entirely different game. If you don't like Scooby... well, don't be expecting too much. If you do, however, there's a surprisingly good LucasArts style adventure game in here. It's probably not as long or as difficult as your average Monkey Island, but there are two different cases to solve.

Scooby Doo Mysteries (Gens) Blake's Hotel - Part 2 of 5

This is Trouble Shooter, a horizontally scrolling SHMUP. Oh, sure, there's plenty of those already, but this one's fun all the same. It's a little like Forgotten Worlds, since you control a character on a jetpack instead of a ship, but you can also rotate her partner to make her fire forward or behind you. The sequel is even better, but you'll need a translation patch.

Trouble Shooter Game Sample - Genesis/MD

Zero Tolerance is one of the very few first pen shooters for Genesis. It's not quite as pretty as Duke 3D's port, but it does run a lot smoother. I haven't actually played this one in a while, but I do remember it being a lot of fun than the other two FPSes on the Genesis I can currently remember.

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 22:39:28 PM »
Good call on Scooby Doo, Bobinator!

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 22:57:12 PM »
Quote from: "Bobinator"
Zero Tolerance is one of the very few first pen shooters for Genesis. It's not quite as pretty as Duke 3D's port, but it does run a lot smoother. I haven't actually played this one in a while, but I do remember it being a lot of fun than the other two FPSes on the Genesis I can currently remember.

Most definitely!!!!

I love Zero Tolerance  :8:

Zero Tolerance Mega Drive / Genesis Intro and Gameplay

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 00:04:08 AM »
Quote from: "Bobinator"
So here's Scooby-Doo Mysteries, not to be confused with the SNES version, which is an entirely different game. If you don't like Scooby... well, don't be expecting too much. If you do, however, there's a surprisingly good LucasArts style adventure game in here. It's probably not as long or as difficult as your average Monkey Island, but there are two different cases to solve.

Scooby Doo Mysteries (Gens) Blake's Hotel - Part 2 of 5

This is Trouble Shooter, a horizontally scrolling SHMUP. Oh, sure, there's plenty of those already, but this one's fun all the same. It's a little like Forgotten Worlds, since you control a character on a jetpack instead of a ship, but you can also rotate her partner to make her fire forward or behind you. The sequel is even better, but you'll need a translation patch.

Trouble Shooter Game Sample - Genesis/MD

Very good call on both of these..

Scooby is actually a vey very good game.. M
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline triverse

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 01:23:32 AM »
Curse was a pretty good side scrolling shooter.

Blades of Vengeance was a fun "American" 2D hack and slash platformer.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 20:16:59 PM »
Granada really needs a mention, an outstanding game from Renovation that uses some very clever sprite scaling and rotation effects that really show the power of the Mega Drive:

[align=center:20bgqctz]Mega Drive Longplay [253] Granada[/align:20bgqctz]

Online TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 21:13:11 PM »
Now that I have a Genesis, I need to check out these titles.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 23:01:58 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
Granada really needs a mention, an outstanding game from Renovation that uses some very clever sprite scaling and rotation effects that really show the power of the Mega Drive:

[align=center:1be3xr2g]Mega Drive Longplay [253] Granada[/align:1be3xr2g]

Did this get released in the UK mate?

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 23:21:27 PM »
Sadly not, I have the Genesis version, which is fairly common and works perfectly on PAL consoles!  :16: