Author Topic: Let's Compare Street Fighter 2  (Read 2347 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Let's Compare Street Fighter 2
« on: August 31, 2013, 05:52:13 AM »
We've looked at the original Street Fighter, so let's take a look now at it sequel - Street Fighter 2. 

[align=center:1yall0f4]Let's Compare ( Street Fighter 2 )[/align:1yall0f4]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
Re: Let's Compare Street Fighter 2
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 08:11:29 AM »
Has to be the Snes for the original and CE editions, though the 3do had a cracking port of Super SF2.

Nowadays I just play the originals through mame  :113:
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »
Of the 16-bit versions I have always thought the Mega Drive version was the best, it controls much better than the other versions thanks to the superior joypad and is also the fastest version too.

PC Engine port is also pretty impressive too given the hardware.

I have to admit though I have never seen what all the fuss is about regarding this game.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 13:56:56 PM »
It was interesting to see the difference between the NES and SMS in terms of graphics for this game.  The Mega Drive and SNES versions are the two I liked the most, though.

Offline Fin

• View Profile
    • http://www.finthegeek.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 20:40:58 PM »
The C64 version deserves a special award....

I especially like the enhanced experience. waiting 2 hours for it to load to only have to turn the c64 off and reload the software every time you lose the game.

C64 - Street Fighter 2

Offline Crusto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 21:02:44 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
Of the 16-bit versions I have always thought the Mega Drive version was the best, it controls much better than the other versions thanks to the superior joypad and is also the fastest version too.

PC Engine port is also pretty impressive too given the hardware.

I have to admit though I have never seen what all the fuss is about regarding this game.

Me too, I loved it back in the day but I have no interest whatsoever anymore. I prefer the likes of best of the best nowadays.
Bitches leave

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 22:38:35 PM »
Shame they didn't cover the DOS version of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. It's probably the best version you can get on for a computer. It also minorly edges out over the 3DO version, since you're not limited to five buttons.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo (MS-DOS CD)

Compared to pretty much every other computer version of this game out there, it's pretty much arcade perfect. I mean, look at the Amiga version.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 22:45:20 PM »
That really looks great! 

Offline tomwaits

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 23:09:03 PM »
A little off topic, but I've got a SF2:CE arcade PCB with the Rainbow Edition hack. The Rainbow hack is available in MAME also.

It's hilarious to play against unsuspecting opponents. Looks and sounds like the original game but: you can fire multiple fireballs/sonic booms/etc in a row, some characters have fireballs added to their non-projectile special attacks, you can change characters at any time by pressing the start button, repeating some special moves let you 'fly' higher and higher until you're off the top of the screen, etc.  It's chaos.

There's also the excellent Super Street Fighter Turbo HD Remix update for PS360, with new graphics and online play.

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 23:49:20 PM »
Quote from: "Bobinator"
Shame they didn't cover the DOS version of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. It's probably the best version you can get on for a computer. It also minorly edges out over the 3DO version, since you're not limited to five buttons.

Compared to pretty much every other computer version of this game out there, it's pretty much arcade perfect. I mean, look at the Amiga version.
Nah the X68000 is the best computer version of Super SF2, ok it's not the turbo version but I prefer the speed of the originals anyway.
I've no idea why they bothered to port to the Amiga, unless it was programmed for upgraded machines, like PCs were it was always gonna struggle to run it.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Offline Alberto 2K

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 11:01:40 AM »
Quote from: "tomwaits"
A little off topic, but I've got a SF2:CE arcade PCB with the Rainbow Edition hack. The Rainbow hack is available in MAME also.

It's hilarious to play against unsuspecting opponents. Looks and sounds like the original game but: you can fire multiple fireballs/sonic booms/etc in a row, some characters have fireballs added to their non-projectile special attacks, you can change characters at any time by pressing the start button, repeating some special moves let you 'fly' higher and higher until you're off the top of the screen, etc.  It's chaos.

There's also the excellent Super Street Fighter Turbo HD Remix update for PS360, with new graphics and online play.
I played that Rainbow Hack at the arcades, it's chaos as you say but it was fun! :)
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

Offline SnakeEyes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 00:03:56 AM »
As much as I love the Megadrive, The Snes versions are easily better.

Offline Fin

• View Profile
    • http://www.finthegeek.com
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 20:37:22 PM »
Have spent way too many hours on the 3DO version over the last few nights and its bloody good!

Its a bit trickier than any version i have played before, even on easy.

The animation is beautiful and the sound track and effects great. The CD load are decent enough and its just a great arcade port.

My only complaint is the 3DO controller, specifically the D-Pad. The right hand side is a lot more springy making it more trick to do the typical hadouken move if your facing right. But this is easily sorted by using a different pad.