New Vectrex Homebrew - Boxorz!

Started by TrekMD, July 30, 2013, 04:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Here's a new puzzle game for the Vectrex from Frank Buss, Boxorz!  It is available to download for free here:  Vectrex Game Project.  Here is a video of the game in action...

[align=center:2cezcc5c]Bloxorz[/align:2cezcc5c]

The game is a port of the game with the same name by Damien Clarke.  Check out the original here:  Bloxorz.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

Very clever game! Thanks for posting!

zapiy

That really is a great idea for a game..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

tomwaits

Neat!

There's a similar game on PSN/iOS called Cuboid. Lots of levels, obstacles, and a level editor.

Gorf

And to think I sold my two Vectrex's to Trek for a ridiculous low price with all seven games.
Deal of the century Trek!

truth is, I'm glad you have them as I just never had the time to play the damn thing anyway.
I always liked what the homebrew scene was doing for this machine. At least it will get good
use and a home with you.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Gorf"And to think I sold my two Vectrex's to Trek for a ridiculous low price with all seven games.
Deal of the century Trek!

truth is, I'm glad you have them as I just never had the time to play the damn thing anyway.
I always liked what the homebrew scene was doing for this machine. At least it will get good
use and a home with you.

Yes, and I'm very thankful!  :)  I've really enjoyed having the Vectrex. 

Gorf

Yeah....it's really a nice machine. I'd like to re-create one one day and make it in color with a larger screen.
Just another one of my long time hobbyist dreams. Glad you dig it. I know I did when I got it.

TrekMD

I think it would be great of someone created a modern vector video gaming machine in color and all.  The Vectrex is so unique as a system even today because no one else has made another vector home system.  It is rather peculiar, I think.

Gorf

Sourcing color glass CRT tubes, which would be required, would be quite
expensive. Probably just better to make a LCD compliant HDMI version
and do vector graphics on that.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Gorf"Sourcing color glass CRT tubes, which would be required, would be quite

If that's the only way for it to happen, then I guess that's how it has to be.  But a system with color vector graphics would definitely be cool.

Gorf

Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "Gorf"Sourcing color glass CRT tubes, which would be required, would be quite

If that's the only way for it to happen, then I guess that's how it has to be.  But a system with color vector graphics would definitely be cool.

Quite honestly, I think just using something like the OUYA and writing games in vector fashion for that would be the best bet. The rez is really high so the vectors would be rather smooth looking. What I should consider is porting one of the vectrex emulators over and modify it for color and then modify the games to make good use of it.

Gorf

Aha! looks like someone already did most of the work for me!

http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/index.php?/archives/519-Android-Vectrex-Vectrex-Emulator-for-Android-JXD-consoles.html

The source code is there also, so I can alter it for OUYA....possibly.

TrekMD

Ah yes, the VecX emulator!  That would definitely be cool to see on OUYA and even better if in color!

Gorf

LOL! I'd like to get ANYTHING running on OUYA at this point...now I can't even get the bloody thing to connect to the internet....and an OUYA that can't connect to the internet is an OUYA that is useless. Yet another thing I can
complain about concerning it's design.

Alberto 2K

Very nice and simple game, I bet is addicting!
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!