Let's Compare Arkanoid

Started by TrekMD, June 17, 2013, 20:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Havantgottaclue

Quote from: "The Laird"I never said the A8 version looked more like the arcade, just that I preferred it :3:

No, you didn't. You said that the C64 version just didn't look like Arkanoid. Which originated in the arcades. The C64 version looks more like the arcade version than the A8 version does.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"But then I hate the look of most C64 games because of the awful colour palette it has.

Bit harsh to say it's awful IMO, sure it's less than the A8 range, but this is the machine that delivered 3 stunning looking Last Ninja games (high res and colourful), Mayhem, 2 Creatures games, Stormlord 1+2, Rainbow Islands, Dan Dare 2, Hunters Moon, Traz, Cal.Games, Delta, Cybernoid 1+2, Predator etc etc.When it's colours used well, fantastic results.Plus even the murky colours  came into their own when used properly, Platoon had a superb atmosphere thanks to great choice of colour selection.

It seems to be a myth that ALL C64 games were blocky, used lot of browns or murky colours.  Least on C64 we did'nt see Daley Thompson as a white sprite, lol.....

TL

One of the very best Breakout/Arkanoid clones out there, Batty on the Spectrum:

Batty Walkthrough, ZX Spectrum

TrekMD

Another system that has a ton of different clones of this game is the GBA.  I'm surprised none of them made it to the comparison video.  Here are a couple of examples:

[align=center:3rmmuexg]Arkanoid Advance
arkanoid advance for GameBoy Advance

Ar-Kan
ar-kan for GameBoy Advance[/align:3rmmuexg]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

That first one of the 2 is superb!  :16:

TrekMD

Most of the GBA clones are pretty close to the arcade and look like the first one I posted.  I still wanted to post the second one just to show the range.  :)

TL

Impact for the Atari ST is a really nice Arkanoid clone:

Impact - Atari ST [Longplay]

TrekMD

That look pretty good.  I like how rhythmic the sounds are.

TL

TrekMD

This looks like another one of those games that has had just about every possible clone out there!

Rogue Trooper

Zepplin's 'Ball Blasta' C64 been mentioned yet?

Psychedelic visuals, Adam Gilmore music and as well as power up's dropping in usual Arkanoid manner, you earnt credits to spend at a shop so you could buy features you wanted.Also  once you completed a level, you got to choose a new screen from a selection.

Coding was done by same team who did Zybex and Draconus.

TL

This is another Arkanoid clone on the Spectrum that I absolutely loved, I got it free on a Your Sinclair cover tape and was addicted to it for a while. The isometric 3D view adds something very different to the whole experience:

Ballbreaker (ZX Spectrum)

sloan

Many nice looking incantations of one of my favorite games on this thread. I just don't think any controller but a spinner does it justice, though. That is probably why NES Arkanoid is my favorite with the rotary Vaus controller.

Don't know if it counts, but SNES had its own Arkanoid, even compatible with the mouse controller if I recall:

Super Nintendo - Arkanoid - Doh It Again (1997)

TL

Arkanoid 3 - a hack for the Atari ST. There is also a very similar hack for the Atari XL/XE too.

ATARI ST ARKANOID 3 (HACK)

SnakeEyes

While probably not the best version, I remember losing hours to Arkanoid 2 : revenge of Doh on the CPC. something about the bat and ball games that drag you in and keep you there for hours.