Pioneer LaserActive

Started by TL, June 06, 2013, 21:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

[align=center:1yyqkr1r][/align:1yyqkr1r]

The Pioneer LaserActive is a converged device and fifth-generation game console capable of playing Laserdiscs, Compact Discs, console games, and LD-G karaoke discs. It was released by Pioneer Corporation in 1993. In addition to LaserActive games, separately sold add-on modules (called "PACs" by Pioneer) accepts Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis and PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 ROM cartridges and CD-ROMs.

Pioneer released the LaserActive model CLD-A100 in Japan on 20 August 1993 at a cost of ¥89,800, and in the United States on 13 September 1993 at a cost of US$970. NEC later released a cloned version of the system, the NEC PDE-LD1, which also accepted Pioneer's PAC modules. Due to its low value for money, the LaserActive was a commercial failure.

The LaserActive 3-D Goggles (model GOL-1) employ an active shutter 3D system compatible with at least four 3D-ready LD-ROM software titles: 3-D Museum (1994), Vajra 2 (1994), and Virtual Cameraman 2 (1994), and 3D Virtual Australia (1996). 3D Virtual Australia was the last software title published for the LaserActive.
The goggles are also compatible with the Sega Master System, and are interchangeable with the SegaScope 3-D Glasses. A goggle adapter (model ADP-1), packaged and sold separately from the 3-D Goggles, enables the user to connect one or two pairs of goggles to the CLD-A100.

The standard LaserActive games were on Laserdisc encoded as a LD-ROM. An LD-ROM had a capacity of 540 MB (where digital audio would have normally been stored) with 60 minutes of analog audio and video. There were just over 30 different games released for the console.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Laseractive

DreamcastRIP

I've long thought this, when including both add-on modules, to be the coolest console ever made. The cost of sourcing one in good working condition these days though? Don't ask! Oh, and let's not mention the shipping costs either!
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TrekMD

That's one expensive piece of gaming tech!  Pretty interesting and cool to see that they also had the notion of 3D gaming for it. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

An incredible machine. At the time it was considered the benchmark of gaming systems. Considering what all the parts go for that make up the system, if you can get a working one for under a Grand it would be worth it.

We used to watch Laserdisc movies at a friends years ago. The quality was amazing.

Shadowrunner

That is incredibly cool! I'd love to own one with all the add-on stuff but like everyone else is saying these must go for a fortune!

TL

zapiy

I had one of these many many moons ago before i started collecting and did not know what it was and i dumped it.

nnooooooooooooooooooooooooo lol

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Gorf

Let me get this straight....... you can play both Sega MD and TG16 games on this unit for a paltry $600 US
for each 'PAC'...so ok that's $1200 dollars US...then the rather useless LD for another $970 US.

So now we are talking $2170 US. No games included except whatever may have been packed in with the LD.

Hmmmm..... now let's see.... $189 for the ACTUAL MD US and $249 for the ACTUAL TG-16...minus the
completely useless LD and it's useless 30 games of the LD.

So that's $438 US
Ok so just to have a LD player that was not even able to store the same amount of data as a CD
which is a disc MUCH SMALLER than an LD would cost me another $1732 US?

So if I just buy the two consoles I can also take the money I save and by about 25 games for the Genny,
probably close to that for the TG-16. OR, the TG-16 CD DRIVE add on for $400 US , leaving me with $1332
for more games.

I wish I had whatever these retards in Pioneers R&D/Marketing were smoking when they came up with
this retardation. Musta been some really good shit.

Seriously folks...is it any wonder why stupid ideas like this are destined to fail?

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "zapiy"I had one of these many many moons ago before i started collecting and did not know what it was and i dumped it.

nnooooooooooooooooooooooooo lol

Quote from: "Gorf"... Seriously folks...is it any wonder why stupid ideas like this are destined to fail?

Indeed. However, it makes for one heck of a cool system to own nowdays for some retro gaming collectors.  :1:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TrekMD

I like that Rocket Coaster!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Gorf

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"Indeed. However, it makes for one heck of a cool system to own nowdays for some retro gaming collectors.  ::)

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "Gorf"
Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"Indeed. However, it makes for one heck of a cool system to own nowdays for some retro gaming collectors.  ::)

:21: