The Atari Panther

Started by TL, May 30, 2013, 21:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmigaJay

Cool thanks for the info, what about the Jaguar 2, I'm sure I've read about it somewhere, any prototypes, screenshots from early builds? Sorry if its been posted, just repost link if you have. Ta
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TL

Quote from: "AmigaJay"Cool thanks for the info, what about the Jaguar 2, I'm sure I've read about it somewhere, any prototypes, screenshots from early builds? Sorry if its been posted, just repost link if you have. Ta

There are no known games or screenshots, just a couple of prototype boards exist that nobody has got working. They are both missing Jaguar 2 DSP "Puck" and instead have a "Jerry" chip from the original Jaguar:

[align=center:2ie5pxiq][/align:2ie5pxiq]

While the Jaguar had Tom & Jerry the Jaguar 2 had Oberon and Puck, hence the Midsummer codename after the Shakespeare play A Midsummer Night's Dream.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/jaguar/jag2.html

onthinice

Thanks Laird!!!! I always looked at the Panther/Jaguar like 3DO/M2. Panther may have been released and not been a hit. Which would have led to the Jaguar possibly not being released at all. Maybe it is for the best.

Great info!!!!

Cryptic33

Well, thanks again to you all for correcting me and posting really interesting information. I had read much of this many years ago but forgot/got my facts a little twisted. Yes, the Lynx, I played a few games on a friend's, it was by far the best hand-held system of its time (only 16-bit system on the market back then).

Again, "what if", a phrase that comes to mind over many Atari developments. I always thought of the bigger picture and how Atari may have merged with Nintendo. Obviously, that would never happen but what if... :113:
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

Rogue Trooper

Just been looking over the article The One did-It's more technical based than Lairds, goes into bit more detail on the hardware possibilities and what it offered (on paper) to coders as well as just what the demo's are doing.

I find they compliment each other rather nicely.

On subject of the Panther, think looking back at it, the Jaguar hype train can be traced back to the canning of the Panther and Atari's talk of leap-frogging 16 Bit in favour of '64 Bit', but i want to go into that else where a little later.

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Just been looking over the article The One did-It's more technical based than Lairds, goes into bit more detail on the hardware possibilities and what it offered (on paper) to coders as well as just what the demo's are doing.

I find they compliment each other rather nicely.

On subject of the Panther, think looking back at it, the Jaguar hype train can be traced back to the canning of the Panther and Atari's talk of leap-frogging 16 Bit in favour of '64 Bit', but i want to go into that else where a little later.

Yeah, that is why I referenced that article in mine. Between the two of them I feel they give a perfect overview of the console.

Cryptic33

The Jaguar lives on...

(I know this is a little off topic but sometimes it's worth it)

click-> Jaguar Returns <-click

Ok, you have to use a little imagination but tell me the tunnel sequence (13 - 16 second mark) isn't Atari-esque ;)
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

TL

I still love the fact that Atari wrote to Jaguar cars in the UK to see if they had any problem with Atari using the name  :16:

Cryptic33

Yes, there are a number of interesting historical facts concerning Atari and you add more weight to my points earlier.

TL

I realised that I totally forgot to post the scans of the article from The One that Rogue Trooper and I were referencing:

TrekMD

Lynx, Panther, Jaguar...I can't remember.  Has there been anything posted as to why Atari chose cat names for their later systems? 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

Quote from: &quot;TrekMD&quot;Lynx, Panther, Jaguar...I can't remember.  Has there been anything posted as to why Atari chose cat names for their later systems? 

They ran out of good numbers. 2600 + 2600 = 5200 + 2600 = 7800 + 2600 = 10,400.

I might buy a 10400 but nobody else would. :21:

Shadowrunner

Quote from: &quot;onthinice&quot;
Quote from: &quot;TrekMD&quot;Lynx, Panther, Jaguar...I can't remember.  Has there been anything posted as to why Atari chose cat names for their later systems? 

They ran out of good numbers. 2600 + 2600 = 5200 + 2600 = 7800 + 2600 = 10,400.

I might buy a 10400 but nobody else would. :3:

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Lynx, Panther, Jaguar...I can't remember.  Has there been anything posted as to why Atari chose cat names for their later systems?

They didn't! I wrote an article about this for Atari User:

TrekMD

[align=center:nv5eoq7s][/align:nv5eoq7s]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...