Author Topic: Games that you really wanted to like but just couldn't!  (Read 2797 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile
Games that you really wanted to like but just couldn't!
« on: May 25, 2013, 23:04:30 PM »
We have all done it at some point, bought a game that we thought we would love but no matter how we tried we just didn't. So what games fit this bill for you and why?

My first nomination is Attack Of The Mutant Penguins on the Jaguar. I never bought this back in the day but once I started collecting again it was one of the first games I picked up because I am a big fan of strategy puzzle games like this . . . . usually! But I just found AOTMP to be overly complicated confusing and too wacky for its own good, which was a real shame because it has lovely graphics and sound and the actual idea is a sound one. The trick of games like this is that they have to be simple to play and understand and that is where it fall down.

Offline 108 Stars

• View Profile
    • http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/
Re: Games that you really wanted to like but just couldn't!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 23:45:46 PM »
Sonic CD.
I loved the Sonic games, and I was eager to play a version on MCD, with the great audio and scaling & rotation effects.

But it was such a lame game. Features from Sonic 2, which had been released a couple of months earlier were absent. There was slowdown. The level design was terrible, like when you let a kid build the most convoluted landscape out of lego.

Not a terrible game, but a big drop from Sonic 2 at a time when the series was one of the hottest things going.
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 23:48:39 PM »
Good shout and i may be here a lot :-)

For starters though and in no particular order:

Earth worm jim MD-Loved platformers back then and this was getting rave reviews, left me stone cold, technically fantastic, but just not feeling it, tried again when it popped up on PSN, nope...just nothing....

Ditto to a degree for Sonic CD-Great reviews, loved the genre, hated the game (plus the bonus mode/Mode 7 stuff was far too slow), but again thought i'd give it another shot, bought on PSN, hated it, deleted it from HDD, downloaded again, hated it, deleted it and that's how it's staying.

Advance wars GBA-Huge strategy fan, turn based and i'm there, but for the life of me, could not get into this.

ICO PS2-Loved the look and sense of isolation, but game just pissed me off, the lass would wander off all over the shop, just could'nt be doing with it after a while. Picked it up on PS3, got further into it, before i just rage quit.Then tried Shadow of The Col.again, loved the art and atmosphere, but controls did my head in and just never really 'gelled' with me.

Catherine:the daytime stuff? fantastic! but the nightmare (main game) parts, ok at 1st then everything started to piss me off, time limits, reversed controls from boss attacks, my aging head just could'nt cope so i quit only a few levels in :-(

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 23:59:19 PM »
Alien trilogy PSone.Huge Aliens fan, had loved AVP on Jaguar and likes of Mean Machines were saying this was going to make that look like The wizard of Oz.It was based around 1st 3 films, had motion capture, ohh it was going to rock!.

What did i find? a nice looking, in terms of enviroment, game, far too dark and the character models were really blocky up close, no real feeling of atmosphere as the Alien A.I was pathetic, they just were far too timid, milling about like sheep, it just felt like a Doom mod or similar with Aliens+Humaniod sprites running about.Completed it, but got shot of it soon after.

Defender 2000 Jaguar-Loved defender, loved lot of Minters work, hated this.Ship too big, over powered, wretched visuals and very dissapointing bonus stage.After Tempest 2000, huge dissapointment.worse still i'd bought on day of release.

Story Of Thor MD-played when i was a MD owner, could'nt get on with it, never seemed to really get going, returned to a couple of times on PS3 MD collection, but just come away empty.

Dynamite Heady:another well reviewed MD game that impressed me technically, but i just could'nt feel the love for, where as things that were workman like at best on MD, ie Ex-Mutants, i really loved.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 00:11:48 AM »
Pitfall.  I have to be honest.  I've read so much about how great Pitfall is but I just can't get myself to like it.  Now, Pitfall II is another story. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 00:36:50 AM »
The New zealand Story+Rainbow Islands:tried on C64, ST, retro compilations etc etc.Just never found the 'spark' on either, yet loved Bubble Bobble, so thought both of these would be my 'bag'.

Bombjack-sorry, i honestly hate it, lacks any redeeming features, yet i was quite happy to play Tynesofts? Bombo on C64 and that looked shit, lol.

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 08:09:37 AM »
Zelda games any of them! Have tried on each format but the repetitive nature and kiddy style puts me off each of them.

Maze games! Apart from a 10 minute go on Pac-Man, I just find them really boring, they are all the same bar the graphics and just get deleted from my MAME romset!

Call of duty/Battlefield - really to wanted to like these as all my mates at work play online, so I bought them cheap but I find them pretty dull tbh, I prefer the Halo series and fps with better story's, war is war to me I prefer to watch an documentary on ww2 to get that fix!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 19:21:49 PM »
Quote from: "AmigaJay"
Zelda games any of them! Have tried on each format but the repetitive nature and kiddy style puts me off each of them.

I agree with that one but, then again, I can't stand RPG's anyway so that is more understandable.

Another one for me, to a lesser degree will admit, is Street Fighter 2. I do think it's a good game but just not as amazing as people like to make out it is. I think there are much better fighting games out there and fail to see why it is so often quoted as being one of the best games ever.

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 20:08:53 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "AmigaJay"

Another one for me, to a lesser degree will admit, is Street Fighter 2. I do think it's a good game but just not as amazing as people like to make out it is. I think there are much better fighting games out there and fail to see why it is so often quoted as being one of the best games ever.

Like what, if you don't mind me asking? Let me list a few off at random:

Shadow Warrior - OK, take Duke Nukem 3D, put it in Japan, and make it so your character is basically a terrible Asian stereotype. That's basically it. I love the weapons in this game, but the problem is the difficulty is so utterly brutal, and the humor is just so unfunny, that it's REALLY hard to play compared to Duke. What a waste of a portable nuke launcher.

Super Mario Brothers - Yes, I admit it. I can't love everything Nintendo does. :P I've never really enjoyed this game, because the controls are just so stiff that it's very hard for me to control this game. Pretty much ANY Mario game after this is way more fun.

Weaponlord - OK, here's a game I REALLY want to try to learn, because I just love the visual style.

Seriously, it's basically Conan: The Fighting Game. What's my issue with it? Well. For one thing, it has a really weird way of doing special moves where you have to HOLD the button, put in the directions, and then release the button, as opposted to, you know, every other fighting game ever made that isn't Primal Rage.

Also, it's very fucking complicated, even for 1995. Allow me to quote an FAQ.

Now, I'd like to think I'm decent at fighting games, but... I don't know what the fuck. I have the same issues with Killer Instinct and Primal Rage, as much as I REALLY, really want to try to learn them.

Turrican: You just can't make a game like that and not give the player invincibility time, especially when there's enemies flying around everywhere. I've never enjoyed the first two games, so I've just stuck to Turrican 3, Super Turrican, and Super Turrican 2.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 20:10:51 PM »
Give me pretty much any of the SNK fighting games over Street Fighter 2 anyday, especially the King Of Fighters series.

Offline jdanddiet

• View Profile
    • http://www.wizwords.net/
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 20:57:04 PM »
There's a host of recent button-mashing style games that I've really tried to like. Think Devil May Cry, God of War, Darksiders. But just get bored of them and give up.

Offline Fin

• View Profile
    • http://www.finthegeek.com
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 21:11:07 PM »
i would have to go for any of the older Final Fantasy games, i.e. 1-7.

Having been spoiled by starting at FF8 the earlier ones just needed too much imagination and i just end up hating the same old fights every few seconds.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 21:35:01 PM »
Quote from: "jdanddiet"
There's a host of recent button-mashing style games that I've really tried to like. Think Devil May Cry, God of War, Darksiders. But just get bored of them and give up.

Tried hard with Darksiders.Got as far as 1st boss but the clumsy controls made the battle a real chore and unskippable cut stuff after entering boss area yet again after dying, being cast back to last checkpoint, just did my head in.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 21:42:06 PM »
Quote from: "FinMK"
i would have to go for any of the older Final Fantasy games, i.e. 1-7.

Having been spoiled by starting at FF8 the earlier ones just needed too much imagination and i just end up hating the same old fights every few seconds.

Welcome to the forum!.

Random battles are why, to this day, i've never completed Skies Of Arcadia on DC or G.C.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 13:14:18 PM »
Another one of mine is Scrapyard Dog on the Lynx:

Most Lynx fans seem to rave about this game but I just never liked it. It probably doesn't help that it's a platformer and it certainly doesn't help that it's very similar to Super Mario Bros. I just find the game really annoying and frustrating, shame because I like most Lynx games.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk