Froggie - New 7800 Homebrew!

Started by TL, May 11, 2013, 11:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

[align=center:3grq8exy]

[size=140]It's been an amazing 8 years in the making but Froggie for the Atari 7800 ProSystem is finally here! It is, of course, a conversion of the popular arcade game Frogger. Due to a multitude of reasons this version by Atari Age member Schmutzpuppe has been on and off for years but is now complete and ready to play on real hardware via a flash cartridge or an emulator. The programmer is hoping to make a cartridge version available to buy in the very near future![/size]

[size=140]For those who are somehow unaware the original Frogger arcade game was released in 1981. It was developed by Konami, and licensed for worldwide distribution by Sega. The object of the game is to direct frogs to their homes one by one. To do this, each frog must avoid cars while crossing a busy road and navigate a river full of hazards. Skillful players may obtain some bonuses along the way. The game is regarded as a classic from the golden age of video arcade games and was noted for its novel gameplay and theme. It was also an early example of a game using more than one CPU, as it used two Z80 processors. Frogger is still popular and versions can be found on many Internet game sites. By 2005, Frogger had sold 20 million copies worldwide, including 5 million in the United States alone.[/size]

[size=140]Happy Cuttle Cart owners should use banking file 78HSCPOK and startup file HSC so that means the game supports HSC (even on PAL). The two a78 files in the archive are basically the same except the different region settings in the a78 header. The game itself is multi-region. When using Prosystem emulator the Pokey music is a bit noisy by using PAL and it's totally broken when using TIA music but it runs fine on the real device. With switch P1 you can select the difficulty (number of lives) but only once per startup/'boot'.You have different high score tables for the two modes but only with HSC, there is no table without. The game should auto-detect XM/XBOARD (untested). Enjoy the game and have fun![/size]

[size=180]Development Thread

DOWNLOAD HERE![/size]
[/align:3grq8exy]

TrekMD

This plays remarkably well.  I love that it has music throughout the game, much like the Starpath version for the 2600.  :)

BTW, there may be a cart release of this game as well.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"This plays remarkably well.  I love that it has music throughout the game, much like the Starpath version for the 2600.  :3:

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "TrekMD"This plays remarkably well.  I love that it has music throughout the game, much like the Starpath version for the 2600.  :3:

You did, didn't you.  Well, I just reinforced it.  :35:

Shadowrunner

Looks great! Hope they release a cart  :)

TrekMD

Here is a video of the gameplay!

[align=center:1q0t18lf]Froggie[/align:1q0t18lf]