Author Topic: We have come so far . . . .  (Read 7881 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile
We have come so far . . . .
« on: May 03, 2013, 23:20:15 PM »
I was watching AVGN's Atari 2600 sports games video again and posting in TrekMD's "Evolution Of . . ." threads and started thinking about just how far certain genres and types of games came in just one generation.

In the 80's especially we saw dramatic leaps in just about every aspect of gaming as the video game market grew exponentially. So what games can you think of that really show this kind of progression, especially within the confines of the same hardware.

Here are a nice group of games from the Atari 2600 which really show a dramatic progression:

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
Re: We have come so far . . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 23:39:01 PM »
I'm tempted to say on a modern front some '1st Gen' PS2 games, all PS 1.5 Textures, jaggies, low poly counts etc to the stunning God Of War 2, which could have passed for a launch 360 game.

On a Retro front...early C64 shoot em up's to likes of I.O, Katakis, Turrican 2, Armalyte etc

ST:Starglider to Star Glider 2.

Megadrive:Altered Beast to Toy Story, Adventures Of Batman+Robin.

Nes:cannot think of the sports games name, hypersports? to Track and Field 2.

Lot depends on commercial life of system and developer support, 2600 had long, long life, huge userbase, got games i never thought would be looked at converted along with original works.People really got creative with the hardware then, by PS2 era? your talking cross-platform development, licensced game engines, middleware etc.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 23:45:08 PM »
Defender (Atari, 1982)

Defender II/Stargate (Atari, 1987)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 23:50:09 PM »
One reason Gamestm's Conversion Catastrophe really got on my tits was when the Atari 2600 conversions of:

Double Dragon, Rampage+Tempest were featured.The 1st 2? bloody hell, how many years after the 2600 did the coin-ops appear? and as for Tempest? 1)It was only a prototype, 2)The hardware cannot generate complex geometric shapes with clarity, so how on earth could it hope to replicate the arcade machine?.

:-) So, i've given RG, Amstrad action and now Gamestm some stick today,Zzap i still won't let go over that C64 Op.Thunderbolt review...wondering how come EDGE has got off without a scratch? i must be mellowing with age.....

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 23:51:11 PM »
Quote from: "TrekMD"
That was the idea my "Evolution of..." threads.  It is remarkable how much gaming advanced within just a system like the 2600 over the years.  Super Football is truly and impressive game compared to its predecessor. 

Yes, this is just a spin-off of that idea to look at specific examples and cover multiple genres at at once etc.

I nearly put Defender / Defender II in my list actually, it's a perfect example of progress in a very short time.  :16:

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 20:38:59 PM »
Ok then, let's look at a different system for a moment. Here are a group of games from the Sega Master System which show a nice progression in quality:

Offline Crusto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 23:10:44 PM »
I lack the nous to provide screenshots but I put forward R-Type for the CPC. Using the original 80's conversion compared with last years "remake"

Then you have the likes of drunken master for the PCE, a great showcase for the hardware on its release. A few years later the seemingly impossible is achieved with an excellent conversion of Street Fighter 2 being released. So good that it rivals the SNES and MD versions.
Bitches leave

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 23:42:53 PM »
Quote from: "Crusto"
I lack the nous to provide screenshots but I put forward R-Type for the CPC. Using the original 80's conversion compared with last years "remake"

Then you have the likes of drunken master for the PCE, a great showcase for the hardware on its release. A few years later the seemingly impossible is achieved with an excellent conversion of Street Fighter 2 being released. So good that it rivals the SNES and MD versions.

Good call . . . . . .

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 18:20:56 PM »
Its amazing what can be achieved we programmers and designers get to grips with the machines..
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 18:54:46 PM »
Quote from: "zapiy"
Its amazing what can be achieved we programmers and designers get to grips with the machines..

Yep, this is definitely true!  As programmers learn more about the systems, they learn how to push them.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 21:02:49 PM »
Here are some games from the Atari ST:

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 21:08:14 PM »
The Atari ST is fascinating also when looking at how games evolved for it.  With some games it's almost a 2600-type of evolution given how different games become on it. 

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 22:44:55 PM »
The Atari ST is fascinating also when looking at how games evolved for it.  With some games it's almost a 2600-type of evolution given how different games become on it.

Yeah a lot of the early games just looked like 8-bit ones in higher resolution. I have tons more examples I can give for this system.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 23:35:18 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"

Yeah a lot of the early games just looked like 8-bit ones in higher resolution. I have tons more examples I can give for this system.
That's cool!

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 00:21:18 AM »

Dizzy/The Cave

Double Dragon/The Punisher/God Hand

Mr. Whimpy/Cool Spot/Doritos Dash Of Destruction

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk