Let's Compare: Manic Miner

Started by TL, April 23, 2013, 22:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

To celebrate the birthday of the Spectrum we will look at how this legendary game for Spectrum compare against its many ports to other systems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NDEWuju0o4

TrekMD

That sure was interesting!  I was quite impressed by the SAM Coupé version!  The GBA is expected to have a nice upgrade to the visuals, so not surprised by that.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"That sure was interesting!  I was quite impressed by the SAM Coupé version!  The GBA is expected to have a nice upgrade to the visuals, so not surprised by that.

Many people regard the Sam Coupe version to be the best. The Sam is basically a "Super Spectrum" after all.

thedamnedunited

Brilliant video !

Now of course they are all very very similar, but if we are gonna be picky at some of the minor (*miner* - get it ?) differences here goes :

Dragon 32 - Black and White - really ?
C16 - screen size
464 & MSX - horrible sound
BBC - too yellow
Neo Geo Pocket - Dont like the scrolling
Oric 1 - poor graphics and too gaudy
Sam Coupe - quite liked the " graphical upgrade"
Amiga - music too too fast
DOS - game played too fast bit could have been running on a fast PC
Windows - too red and yellow
GBA - Brilliant - loved this modernised take on it

So - the winner :

Spectrum version (of course)
Runner Up - C64

The version I want to play next : GBA

TL

Quote from: "thedamnedunited"Brilliant video !

If you liked this video you might want to watch some of the other videos this guy has done, there is a full thread listin HERE!

Have fun and comment away on any of them!  :113:

thedamnedunited

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "thedamnedunited"Brilliant video !

If you liked this video you might want to watch some of the other videos this guy has done, there is a full thread listin HERE!

Have fun and comment away on any of them!  :)

dougtitchmarsh

Quote from: "thedamnedunited"So - the winner :

Spectrum version (of course)
Runner Up - C64

The version I want to play next : GBA
Yeah Speccy has to be the big winner here, but the C64 and BBC Micro versions were great too. The first thing I thought as the video finished was "where do find the GBA version?" Google here I come
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

TL

The Spectrum version was the first game I ever played on a home computer!

Never played any other versions of the game but the Sam Coupe iteration looks like the winner to me.

thedamnedunited

Quote from: "The Laird"The Spectrum version was the first game I ever played on a home computer!

Not a bad one to start off your gaming CV !

TL

The Atari XL/XE version which is sadly missing from the video already posted:

Manic Miner Atari XL/XE Playing Levels1-7

TrekMD

That's a pretty good version!  I wonder why it was left out of the comparison video.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

The One reviewed the ST version of Manic Miner, as well as the sequel Jet Set Willy, but strangely the game was never actually released!  :o