Author Topic: Alien: New Atari Lynx homebrew!  (Read 6295 times)

Offline 108 Stars

• View Profile
    • http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/
Alien: New Atari Lynx homebrew!
« on: April 14, 2013, 20:16:33 PM »
GadgetUK from AtariAge just announced today that he has almost finished porting the classic C64/Spectrum/CPC-game based on Ridley Scott's movie "Alien" to the Lynx.

All that is left to do is some of the menu navigation and a few screens and animations.

The game seems to be kind of an adventure-strategy mix, and has the look of the green motion trackers from the Alien movies.

GadgetUK hopes to present more (maybe even the finished game) mid-week.
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

Offline TL

• View Profile
Re: Alien: New Atari Lynx homebrew!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 20:20:00 PM »
Oh wow! This is brilliant!  :38:

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 20:29:08 PM »
I'm assuming the ROM will be distributed for free as I'd be very suprised if this GadgetUK person has acquired the license for both the game and for Aliens itself. Cool anyway!
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Offline 108 Stars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 20:54:41 PM »
It will be a free ROM as I understand it, although GadgetUK is a person that probably wouldn't be too scared of legal troubles. He was very vocal about how LX.NET's Pitfall should keep the Pitfall name and have no alteration.

But anyway, a free ROM is just as illegal as if he sold it I understand. Being non-commercial does not affect copyright and trademark infringement. Not that anybody will take notice.

I'm very much looking forward to it, he also announced another game called Jack Attack, a tribute to the late Mr Tramiel; no further info yet, but here's the Wikipedia article on the original game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Attack
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 21:08:25 PM »
Quote from: "108 Stars"
I'm very much looking forward to it, he also announced another game called Jack Attack, a tribute to the late Mr Tramiel; no further info yet, but here's the Wikipedia article on the original game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Attack

Fitting tribute! That is great to hear!!!!

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 21:11:39 PM »
Yep, still illegal.

I'm not so sure that whoever owns the Alien/Aliens IP (the name, not the game per se) would not take any notice though.

I'm delighted to see games still being released on Lynx though even though I've no interest in supporting illegal ventures such as this myself.

Here's hoping the guy will put his hand to creating something legitimate and also original on the Lynx in future.  :1:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Offline 108 Stars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 22:05:24 PM »
Well, I will certainly play the game, licensed or not. Spending money on it would be a different story, but as long as it's freeware and the game is not on sale from the original publisher anymore I have no moral issues playing it on the Lynx. :)

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 23:14:10 PM »
Yeah chillout DC! He's only porting it as freeware to play on an emulator or flashcard,  doesn't say anywhere if he's planning to sell it...though I suppose I'm gonna have to stop watching all those gangnam rip off videos on youtube for violating copyright!  :106: :77:
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 00:50:04 AM »
Very cool!  Looking forward to this. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 00:58:23 AM »
Quote from: "AmigaJay"
Yeah chillout DC! He's only porting it as freeware to play on an emulator or flashcard,  doesn't say anywhere if he's planning to sell it...though I suppose I'm gonna have to stop watching all those gangnam rip off videos on youtube for violating copyright!  :106: :24:

Offline 108 Stars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 22:11:59 PM »
So here it is; just a beta now, sadly, as GadgetUK was ill this week. So there's still some stuff do do, as well as including an enhanced graphics mode, bu you can try it out now.

Have fun!

http://www.c5software.co.uk/downloads/Alien0.3.zip

And here's what GadgetUK has to say:

OK, i've been pretty ill the last few days - right now I feel like I am dying...  I've hardly touched it during the week, well not since Monday night when I was last well.

Please note this is NOT complete.

These are some of the things I will try and do over the weekend / next week, depending on healthP-

1) Android serves not real purpose atm, I will make him / her open airlock if more than one person is in the control room - so you dont know which did it.  Make jones scared of the android, also allow android to turn rogue at some point in the count down so he starts attacking people, starting fires or setting self destruct / fight with other crew etc.
 2) Cosmetics - a lot of crap visuals in there atm, allthough some are from original and wont chance in the standard mode - 108 may do enhanced gfx when I've finished. Thanks =)
 3) Ending animations - ship exploding, arrive at earth etc - all possible as there's plenty of rom space yet left.
 4) Some extras for enhanced mode - crew profiles etc.
 5) Morale and hear beat indicator - not implemented yet, wil do that next.
 6) And whilst code is there to handle vents ive had no time to rip the vent images yet.
 7) Probably more stuff and bugs - my list is about 30 items long....  Oh, and change music - it's using a convenient one from Karris sample code atm.
 EDIT: Sound effects to be added.
 9) Final scoring at the end.

If anyone can tell me htf  to export music in from Chipper, or modify the ASM to work with the CC65 comiler please let me know.  I am clueless as to why none of the export methods work from Chipper despite having 'CC65' in the names etc.

There are 3 versions as a few people have had v0.1 and v0.2 already, so class 0.1 and 0.2 as protos or something.

Please test what you can see there so far, try the different modes and difficulty and see if you can kill the alien via different methods and please report any bugs.

This has been one hell of a difficult learning curve by the way... I've ended up segmenting code as well as images and shifting init routines in and out of RAM to swap with game logic or main menu music etc etc.

EDIT:  Balancing needs a lot of work btw - you may find it easy, or hard, depending on what you do.

The item in the first slot is the one you are 'using'.  If you 'use' a consumable in slot one it will disappear.  If you have tracker in slot 1 that should detect jones or alien i nearby room.

Depending on mode and difficulty things change, extra / more / less items, different weapon, different alien behaviour etc etc.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 22:45:43 PM »
Nice one!

I will give this a try!  8)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 01:44:44 AM »
Awesome!

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 20:13:35 PM »
Thanks fella.. will have a bash asap.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 21:57:50 PM »
Hopefully, when this is completed, it can be released in cart format.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk