Let's Compare: Strider

Started by TL, March 28, 2013, 17:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Seen as this game is just about to get a reboot for the modern machines I thought it would be a good time to look at Strider:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIUoLEspG-M

onthinice

Good game. Fine ports. I just have never played it much. Always preferred Shinobi.

TrekMD

This game is awesome.  Some version of this game should have been ported to the Jaguar.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"This game is awesome.  Some version of this game should have been ported to the Jaguar.

It was planned for the Lynx at one point  :'(

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "TrekMD"This game is awesome.  Some version of this game should have been ported to the Jaguar.

It was planned for the Lynx at one point  :20:  :20:

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Bobinator

From the looks of this, I'm imagining any ports of this done for the computers should be avoided like they were coated with liquid AIDS. Tiertex has that sort of effect on... well, everything.

Rogue Trooper

WTF is that NES abomination? that's not Strider!!!!

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"WTF is that NES abomination? that's not Strider!!!!

Just because it's different then the arcade game doesn't make it an abomination! Hands down one of my favourite games on the NES. It's a Metroid style of game and it's awesome  :)

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"WTF is that NES abomination? that's not Strider!!!!

Just because it's different then the arcade game doesn't make it an abomination! Hands down one of my favourite games on the NES. It's a Metroid style of game and it's awesome  :)

:-) The 1st rule of Strider is..you don't mess with Strider.....

The 2nd rule of Strider is.......

tomwaits

Should note that the TurboDuo version adds a new CDDA soundtrack, animated cutscenes, and an extra level. It needs the JPN arcade card though. It might not be the best version, but worth tracking down for the extras if you're a big Strider fan.

TL

All the 8-bit conversions are awful, as is the DOS one.

Best versions is the MD one IMO but the ST and Amiga version hold up well too.

Rogue Trooper

ACE scores:

ST version 910.

Amiga version 910. (Fun factor scores point higher as is single disk on amiga, 2 on ST).

CPC  version 876

Rogue Trooper

US GOLD's (awful) magazine advert for the home micro versions, show it was showered with awards:

86% The ONE/ST Format Gold/Amiga Format Gold/ACE Rated 900/C.U Screen star/Sinclair User Classic/ AA Rave/ Zzap Gold Medal/C+VG Hit and The Games Machine Top score.