Favourite Console Beat 'Em Ups?

Started by TL, February 24, 2012, 15:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Scrolling beat 'em ups are by far my favourite games genre and are sadly one that kinda died out with modern consoles, although a lot of old ones are being re-released for XBLA and PSN.

So what are your favourite console beat 'em ups and for what machines?

Here are some of mine:

Double Dragon - Megadrive
Streets Of Rage 1,2 & 3 - Megadrive
Captain Commando - SNES
Golden Axe 1,2 & 3 - Megadrive
Double Dragon 2 - NES
Final Fight - Mega CD
The Punisher - Megadrive
Burning Fight - Neo Geo
Batman Forever - Saturn
Golden Axe - Master System
Ninja Spirit - PC Engine
Guardian Heroes - Saturn
Vigilante - PC Engine
Kung Fu Master - 7800
Die Hard Arcade - Saturn

nakamura

I do like a good scrolling fighter.

Streets of Rage 1-2. (MD)
Simpsons Arcade (arcade)
Dungeons and Dragons (Saturn)
Double Dragon (NES)
Street Gangs (NES)

Streets of Rage 2 and Street Gangs are certainly my fav scrolling fighters of all time.

Havantgottaclue

I have to say that of all the genres of old-fashioned gaming the scrolling beat-'em-up is never one I had a lot of skill at. I think I've played one of the Streets of Rage games but all it boiled down to was me mashing the buttons until I ran out of credits. I just don't really know how to approach those kinds of games - it just seems inevitable that if you're close enough to hit things, they will hit you back.

Obviously I just haven't got the hang of the tactics, LOL

zapiy

Street Fighter
Streets of Rage 1-2
Double Dragon

Streets of Rage is probably my favourite.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

dubchaser

Streets of Rage 2 and Golden Axe on Mega Drive, and Final Fight CD on Sega Mega CD.

Greyfox

there was quite a few on the SNES back in the day, and for all who haven't see or played these, they are well worth a go

1.Battle Masters
2.World heroes 2
3.Power Moves
4.Weapon Lord
5.Ranma ½ 2

these just a few hidden gems in beatem'up styled games

TL

Quote from: "Greyfox"there was quite a few on the SNES back in the day, and for all who haven't see or played these, they are well worth a go

1.Battle Masters
2.World heroes 2
3.Power Moves
4.Weapon Lord
5.Ranma ½ 2

these just a few hidden gems in beatem'up styled games

At least one of them (World Heroes 2) is a fighting game (one-on-one style) not a beat 'em up (scrolling) but I know there are a few good ones on the SNES like Super Double Dragon, Final Fight, Captain Commando and Undercover Cops.

DreamcastRIP

Final Fight: Double Impact (PS3/PSN)
Golden Axe (MD)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (DC)
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing Round 2 (DC)
SNK vs. Capcom - The Match of the Millennium (NGPC)
Soul Calibur (DC)
Streets of Rage 2 (MD)
Tekken 2 (PS1)
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TL

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"Final Fight: Double Impact (PS3/PSN)
Golden Axe (MD)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (DC)
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing Round 2 (DC)
SNK vs. Capcom - The Match of the Millennium (NGPC)
Soul Calibur (DC)
Streets of Rage 2 (MD)
Tekken 2 (PS1)

Again - several of them are not beat 'em ups, they are fighters.

tomwaits

I don't know if it's my favorite, but I really like Combatribes. The SNES version is decent, but the uncensored arcade PCB is great. Smashing clowns' faces into the pavement never gets old. :D

TL

Quote from: "tomwaits"I don't know if it's my favorite, but I really like Combatribes. The SNES version is decent, but the uncensored arcade PCB is great. Smashing clowns' faces into the pavement never gets old. :D

Never seen or heard of that! Will have to look it up on MAME!

Console Compulsive

Streets of Rage 1, 2 & 3 - Megadrive
Two Crude Dudes - Megadrive
Alien Storm - Megadrive
Double Dragon - Master System
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyperstone Heist - Megadrive
Final Fight - Mega CD
Golden Axe - Master System
Golden Axe 2 - Megadrive
Knights of the Round - Arcade
Vendetta - Arcade
Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow over Mystara - Arcade
Dungeons and Dragons: Tower of Doom

I know the last few are arcade games but I did spend alot of time and money playing these in the arcades. They are all games worth finding on MAME if you don't have them already.

TL

Quote from: "Console Compulsive"I know the last few are arcade games but I did spend alot of time and money playing these in the arcades. They are all games worth finding on MAME if you don't have them already.

They are all games I love too.

One of the D&D games is actually on the Saturn but goes for insane money  :'(

Console Compulsive

I just play the D&D games on mame now although there was nothing better than playing with three other players on the original arcade cab. Superb games!

TL

Another one to add to the list is Dynamite Cop on the Dreamcast, its the sequal to Dynamite Deka / Die Hard Arcade on the Saturn and its superb  8)