Favourite and most memorable moments in video games

Started by TL, February 14, 2013, 18:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

So everyone what are those moments in video games that just stick in your mind for whatever reason? Be it that they were spectacular, iconic or annoying.

For some reason on of mine is the first level boss on Streets Of Rage 2 on the Mega Drive. I love the way you see him first behind the bar cleaning glasses before he runs off. Then you go outside and for just a moment all you can hear is the sound of the rain coming down and then the boss music kicks in and gets you hyped. Once you scroll the screen Barbon shouts "C'mon" and for some reason that 1 taunt just makes me want to destroy him and I hit him in the nuts with a fireball at the first opportunity. I just love that moment.

davyk

First time I played combat with my brother and cousins. 2 players versus has never been so competitive.

In Parodius 2 (Fantastic Journey) - there's one of the levels that starts with the William Tell Overture playing in the background - could not believe such a moment was possible on a home system ( the Saturn).

Realising you could make Mario tip toe in Mario64.

The first time you play Wario Ware and your hands are trying to keep up with your brain which is trying to keep up with the game...

TL

Another one of mine surrounds the character Mad Miles in Pit-Fighter, arcade or Mega Drive version. Two of his taunts drive me crazy and just make me want to beat the living daylights out of him (do you sense a pattern here?).

The first one is where he points at his chin and says "Right here!" and the second one happens if he knocks you down - he spits on you!

Mad Miles is supposed to be one of the harder characters but for these reasons I can beat him stupidly quick.

TrekMD

One of my most memorable moments was when I played Ms. Pac-Man for the 2600 for the very first time.  It was such a contrast to the crappy 2600 port of Pac-Man, that it really left a lasting impression on me.  It even had a real title screen!

[align=center:1wp1nouq]

[/align:1wp1nouq]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Rogue Trooper

PC wise, 1 of the 1st games i played was 'Unreal'-Fantastic start as the opening had you as a prisoner (no.849) on a spaceship enroute to a prison Colony if i recal correctly, shit hits the fan, ship crashes and as you tried to find a way off the wrecked craft, game built up the atmosphere, in spades.

You catch movement from the corner of your eye, hear noises in the distance, you'd be walking down a corridor when suddenly the lights failed 1 by 1 trapping you in the darkness and then your hear a roar!.Bloody fantastic.

Puts so many modern games to shame in terms of atmosphere.

guest4707

There are so many, they are hard to rank, let alone think of just one! Some that come to mind right now are

- ten player Bomberman - this should be experienced by all video game fans.
- The fourth level of Rez, and how that music builds and builds
- four player Warlords. I have never laughed so much at a game.
- and, going right back to my earliest memory of videogames, when playing Repton at my Dad's friend house, and I dug out some earth underneath a boulder and it dropped behind me as I passed. I jumped so high, was so scared that from that moment on I was hooked on videogames
- Getting all the time cheats in Goldeneye (N64) - I'm not much of perfectionist when it comes to games, and rarely 100% the games I've played, but for some reason that game wouldn't leave me alone until I'd done it. My poor housemates must have watched me try Facility on 00 Agent hundreds of times!
- there were lots of moments in Morrowind that I could mention: the Nerevarine Cavern, Entering Red Mountain, finding the last surviving Dwemer... That game got its claws in me deep!

TL

A really stupid one but something I love that for some reason that I just remembered.

On Cabal when you complete a level and the character dances off into the distance!

guest4707

Quote from: "The Laird"On Cabal when you complete a level and the character dances off into the distance!

I remember that from the ST version. It is completely insane. Does it do it on the original arcade version too?

TL

Quote from: "StickHead"
Quote from: "The Laird"On Cabal when you complete a level and the character dances off into the distance!

I remember that from the ST version. It is completely insane. Does it do it on the original arcade version too?

Yep!!! I played it loads in the arcade before I got the Spectrum, and then later, ST version.

Cryptic33

For me, one of the most memorable gaming moments was when I reached level 10 on an arcade machine playing Crystal Castles.

I never finished the game (saw my friend do it a couple of times) but I got a real sense of achievement because this was the final screen of an incredible game at the time. One day, one day...
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

TrekMD

Cryptic33

Quote from: "TrekMD"Nice accomplishment!
Who, me? Thanks, it is my only claim to fame though slightly tainted as I never beat level 10. I know you are a big fan of this game also, how did you get on? For me, this was a proper game with and actual ending where the game concedes defeat (if you beat level 10 that is lol)
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

TrekMD

Well, at least you got to level 10 in the arcade.  I never had a chance to.  I only got to play the machine some in the arcade because they didn't have it at the arcade in college.  Most of my playing has had to be on my computer (Atari Arcade Hits) or through home ports. 

TL

This moment in Hard Drivin'

When you hit the cow by the barn and it lets out this loud moo at you!

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"This moment in Hard Drivin'

When you hit the cow by the barn and it lets out this loud moo at you!

LOL  That sounds like fun.