Have your gaming tastes changed over the years?

Started by TL, February 04, 2013, 20:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

This was something I was thinking about earlier as I was packing boxes.

Are there any genres of games that you used to play when you were younger but don't play now. Or indeed the reverse, are there game types you love now that you didn't used to get on with.

A big one for me is strategy puzzles games. I loved these when I was younger and remember taking weeks trying to complete games like Chip's Challenge on the Lynx and Dino Dudes on the Jaguar. If I go back to these now I just end up getting annoyed and don't seem to have the patience for them.

Shadowrunner

Good idea for a thread. I'm going to say platformers and sports games. When I was younger I loved both genres but now that I'm older I rarely have the patience for platformers and for whatever reason I just don't care enough about sports games anymore to bother playing them.

onthinice

I have switched to handheld gaming. In the past if I had a choice between a console game and a handheld it was always the console version. Now I enjoy being able to take the game and go.

Vyothric

I perhaps spend less/more time playing certain types of games than I used to, but my gaming tastes haven't really changed much. I think I still mostly like/dislike the same games/genres as I used to.

If anything, I'd say they'd broadened a bit as there are some games I've played in recent years that I probably wouldn't have played before.

nakamura

Probably not really. Never really been a big puzzle game fan and I still get bored in minutes. I have managed to get into Japanese style strategy RPG's at last though. I wont be playing bundles of them though.

Always loved turn based RPG's, football and racing games. And Zelda, of course.

dougtitchmarsh

My tastes haven't really changed at all. I liked platformers and still do, driving games too. Shootemups I have always dipped in and out of, sports games never did and don't interest me. So short answer is no.
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

Mire Mare

Somewhat.  I'm open minded enough not to rule out anything but there are limits.

I still love adventures, arcade adventures, old arcade games, strategy, puzzle games,  and rpgs.  There's a thread for each of these genres right back to the first games that really captured me.

I don't really like shmups, though I do play a few on iOS, can't stand fighting games, like SFIV, and pure platformers.

Rogue Trooper

Yes they have and think in terms of genres, a lot of it can be put down to when things went from 2D to 3D.

I used to love my platform games, be it arcade games or VCS, 2600, C64, Megadrive etc, but once the novelty of them being in 3D wore off the basics like camera angles and floaty, unresponsive controls really put me off, still play a fair few but interest rapidly waned.

Fighting games? give me the likes of IK+, SOR 2, Final Fight etc over your Tekken/Soul Caliber/DOA games any day.

Used to love 2D shoot-em-up's on C64,ST+MD, but never really took to bullet hell type games and just cannot stick with lot of the PS2 shooters like Gradius or R-Type, look fantastic but just missing something.

Play a lot less horror type games these days, but only because what we are being served up, to me, is'nt survival horror anymore, last games i really enjoyed were Dead Space (something E.A shat out a sequel for), Res.Evil 4 (again Capcom shat out a 5th then 6th) as for things like I Am Alive, more like i am bloody pissed off i auctually bought this as demo felt ok, full game very frustrating.

SH:Origins+S.M i enjoyed, but not as good as SH2, Homecoming was awful.

RTS games,early 2D C+C games, plus Red Alert 1+2 fantastic, Red Alert 3 awful by comparison, still much prefer the original Xcom to the current reboot.

As a gamer, what i do find is as the years go on, there are fewer and fewer games i'm really interested in, this change to 'dumb down' for the mass market as had an effect as has motion+touch control, niether of which i'm into, then there's been the focus onto putting more into the online side of games than SP campains.

Tachi

Not really...
I've always loved RPGs and they are still my favourite genre today and equally have always been a sucker for a good mech game and even today anything with Mech or Robots (Vanquish, Crysis, Armored Core) still sucks me in.
I did used to adore a good platformer, such as Impossible Mission or House of Usher but as none of these sorts of games are really made anymore I don't really have an opportunity to play them..
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."
? H.P. Lovecraft

TrekMD

My gaming taste hasn't changed too much over the years.  Platformers are still not my most favorite type of game, though I play them some now.  I didn't even bother years ago. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...