Atari 7800 Thread

Started by TL, January 31, 2013, 15:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Now this is cool!

A portable ProSystem!  :8:

Master game console modder Ben Heck shows off his latest creation, a portable Atari 7800 system. Boasting a 7-inch widescreen display, built-in rechargeable batteries, a combination driving / paddle controller, and A/V out. Video after the break. Click here for first picture in gallery.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5u83k_atari-7800_tech

TrekMD

That's cool indeed.  You beat me to it at posting it!  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Very Cool! It amazes me what some people can do.

onthinice

If they want to revive Atari, why do not release something like this? The Flashbacks are neat but portable would be much better.

TL

Quote from: "onthinice"If they want to revive Atari, why do not release something like this? The Flashbacks are neat but portable would be much better.

Yeah I totally agree. I would love to see them release a 2600/7800 handheld about the size of the PSP with an SD cart slot and loads of built in games. All official with the Atari name on it and everything, even better if it played Lynx games too  :16:

onthinice

That would be the perfect handheld.

TrekMD

One handheld to rule them all!

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"One handheld to rule them all!

Atari my precious!

Shadowrunner

Okay so I bought my first Atari 7800 a couple weeks ago and tried it out over the weekend past. I mentioned this already but I'll say it again that I'm really impressed with the picture quality. I don't think I've ever seen such a good picture using an RF cable before.  The next thing I must mention is the controller. I've heard a lot of bad things about the 7800 controller before and now I see why! It works okay for some games but on others my hand would cramp up pretty quickly. Definitely need to get one of the controllers that came with the UK 7800. As for the games I've pretty much only tried the arcade ports so far but they're all very well done and lots of fun, feels like I have an old school arcade in my house :)

TL

Awesome!

The 7800 is home to some amazing arcade conversions. Stuff like Dig Dig, Centipede, Joust, Galaga, Crossbow and Food Fight is close to arcade perfect and they are classics that I will never tire of playing.

Ms. Pacman is brilliant too but has since been surpassed by the Pac-Man Collection.

What you really need though is Ninja Golf!!!!

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "The Laird"Awesome!

The 7800 is home to some amazing arcade conversions. Stuff like Dig Dig, Centipede, Joust, Galaga, Crossbow and Food Fight is close to arcade perfect and they are classics that I will never tire of playing.

Ms. Pacman is brilliant too but has since been surpassed by the Pac-Man Collection.

What you really need though is Ninja Golf!!!!

I read your review of Ninja Golf and I definitely need to get it!
It's a very odd idea but looks really cool  :)

TrekMD

Welcome to the world of the Atari 7800!  Definitely a nice console that did not get as much support as it could have.  Also unfortunate that more POKEY-enhanced games were not made to match the nice visuals that system was capable of.  Thankfully the XM addresses that issue so homebrewers can now make games without that limitation.  :)

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "TrekMD"Welcome to the world of the Atari 7800!  Definitely a nice console that did not get as much support as it could have.  Also unfortunate that more POKEY-enhanced games were not made to match the nice visuals that system was capable of.  Thankfully the XM addresses that issue so homebrewers can now make games without that limitation.  :)  I read that they are making a lot more XM modules then what's been pre ordered so I'll be watching for it's release.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
Quote from: "TrekMD"Welcome to the world of the Atari 7800!  Definitely a nice console that did not get as much support as it could have.  Also unfortunate that more POKEY-enhanced games were not made to match the nice visuals that system was capable of.  Thankfully the XM addresses that issue so homebrewers can now make games without that limitation.  :)  I read that they are making a lot more XM modules then what's been pre ordered so I'll be watching for it's release.

Yes, I can hardly wait to get mine!  DK XM demonstrates what the 7800 can do when it is given the additional resources of memory and a POKEY chip!  :)

onthinice

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"Okay so I bought my first Atari 7800 a couple weeks ago and tried it out over the weekend past. I mentioned this already but I'll say it again that I'm really impressed with the picture quality. I don't think I've ever seen such a good picture using an RF cable before.  The next thing I must mention is the controller. I've heard a lot of bad things about the 7800 controller before and now I see why! It works okay for some games but on others my hand would cramp up pretty quickly. Definitely need to get one of the controllers that came with the UK 7800. As for the games I've pretty much only tried the arcade ports so far but they're all very well done and lots of fun, feels like I have an old school arcade in my house :)

The 2600 or Sega controllers work fine with these games as only one button is needed

Ballblazer
Centipede - If you ever get a 2600 track-ball it works fine for this game.
Crossbow 
Dig Dug
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Junior
Fight Night
Food Fight
Galaga
Impossible Mission
Joust
Kung Fu Master
Mario Bros.
Ms. Pac-Man