Let's compare Choplifter!

Started by TrekMD, January 28, 2013, 19:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Always been a big fan of Choplifter so good to see this!

I think the VIC-20 version was a bit too ambitious for the hardware. The Atari 5200 translation is surprisingly poor, especially as the XL/XE version looks so great. The 7800 version is definitely the best of the original versions for me. The Master System iteration, which is a conversion of the arcade game not the Apple II original, is superb and one of my favourite games on that machine.

TrekMD

Yes, it's interesting to see the difference between the original game and the arcade and the to see home versions that are translation of the arcade instead of the original.  This game has just gone through the entire gamut from original home computer game, to arcade, back to home game.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"Always been a big fan of Choplifter so good to see this!

I think the VIC-20 version was a bit too ambitious for the hardware. The Atari 5200 translation is surprisingly poor, especially as the XL/XE version looks so great. The 7800 version is definitely the best of the original versions for me. The Master System iteration, which is a conversion of the arcade game not the Apple II original, is superb and one of my favourite games on that machine.

I can only echo these thoughts and add...

Vic 20 version does suffer from some nasty sprite flicker.C64 version looked quite poor compared to the 800 XE version.

SNES Choplifter 3 is a system fav.of mine.

Apocalypse on Amiga which was a then modern take on Choplifter, looked superb but played like a brick.

I did try the 360 demo.of Choplifter HD, hated itNot a patch on the orig.

onthinice

Another great title. Never played the Vic-20 version. I do like the Sega Master and 7800 versions.

108 Stars

My SEGA-heart races here, as I have to give double credit to their systems in case of Choplifter.

First of all the SG-1000-version seems to be the best of the older generation system versions. It looks pretty good and even has music.

For the more modern systems I would also give my vote for the SMS; it has the most detailed visuals. Also, and funny enough the older versions mostly had that effect, but the 7800 and NES omitted it: The 3D scrolling blocks on the ground, that move in perspective. I made a pic of two SMS shots to show what I mean, on the left when the chopper is far away, on the right when he's past the middle of teh screen.

It's strange that even the 5200 has that nice effect, but of the later versions only the SMS retains it.
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

TL

What you are talking about I think is the parallax scrolling effect, which the 7800 does have and it's very good too.

You can see it at 0:23 in this video, the 7800 version uses Atari Fuji symbols instead of blocks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeDIAxMseG0

Rogue Trooper

Reading through Crash Nov.'84 issue:

Pioneer by Atlantis.Looked like a basic Scramble clone, with a Choplifter style chopper, but then reading on saw what made it different was there were humans, waving on the ground who you could winch to saftey.

Game got overall score of 67%

Any Speccy owners ever played it?.

108 Stars

@Laird
Good eyes you have there, the effect is there indeed. I apologize.

BTW I know parallax scrolling, I'm just not sure this is it since it's all in the lower half of the screen; I am not sure it is parallax technically, it could be line scrolling or whatever the Street-Fighter-II-3D-floor is based on; that's why I did not use a specific term.^^
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Reading through Crash Nov.'84 issue:

Pioneer by Atlantis.Looked like a basic Scramble clone, with a Choplifter style chopper, but then reading on saw what made it different was there were humans, waving on the ground who you could winch to saftey.

Game got overall score of 67%

Any Speccy owners ever played it?.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKH7--YY__Q

Rogue Trooper

Cheers Laird.

Looks like you were rescuing giants in that game.

How about some Atari love? Hijack, English software-Choplifter on a m**her f**kin train!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlEqXa0qees

TL

That game looks pretty cool! I want to try that out now!

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"That game looks pretty cool! I want to try that out now!

Thought you might like it.English Software came out with 'the goods' time and time again, love the idea of it being set around a train.

onthinice

I like how it crashed behind the tree.