Author Topic: Fact Behind The Fiction  (Read 10244 times)

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
Re: Fact Behind The Fiction
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 17:51:49 PM »
The System 11 coin-op hardware, was Namco's low cost solution to producing arcade boards, think it featured:

2 Boards: Playstation GPU+CPU on 1st, 2nd had Namco's own soundchips, extra VRAM and dedicated CPU Ram.

System 12 added a newer, 50% CPU, but was that it?.

Was'nt Tekken Tag an arcade board upgrade for Tekken 3 Coin-Ops ?.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 15:24:30 PM »
Quote from: "nakamura"
Fiction.
The Sony Playstation 2 had no anti aliasing support.

Fact.
Support was not well documented and more complex to implement than other formats. The western launch of Tekken Tag featured it, an improvement over the JP version.

Bit of an update regarding this:

Project Gotham Racing on Xbox did'nt use Full Screen A.A, yet PS2 Stuntman did, so do feel PS2 took some unfair flak regarding it and question of A.A

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 15:29:59 PM »
Fiction:Sega had a chance to use the Virtual Boy technology before it ended up being used by Nintendo.

Fact:True, Reflections technology had created the steroscopic LED technology years before it was used in the Virtual Boy, but they were not a gaming company so offered it 1st to Mattel (hardware was then known as 'Red World') and then later approached Sega, irony was it was Tom Kalinske who they saw both times (as he moved from Mattel to Sega) and he passed it up twice.

In Nintendo's case, Gumpei Yokoi took to the hardware as he was looking for a new technology that might encourage more creativity in games.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 15:37:51 PM »
Fiction:Gumpei Yokoi was 'punished' by Nintendo for the failure of the Virtua Boy.

Fact:sadly it seems so, when employess make high-profile mistakes in Japan, it's not unusal for their superiors to make an example of them for a short time, before returning them to their former stature.

At the Shoshinkai trade show, where the N64 was being unvieled, Yokoi was given a small booth, in a corner, furthest away from the N64 stand, so he recived few visitors to the stand.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 18:28:44 PM »
Fiction:Mega Drive Carts.destroyed in moral ourage.

Fact:A group of American ex-soliders DID indeed destroy a number of copies of Desert Strike on MD, by burning them, this was done to show their disgust at game being released so soon after the end of the (1st) Gulf War.

Fiction:CBM magazines turn to Atari/admit Atari hardware=better.

Fact:Been done a couple of times, very early days of Zzap 64 had them using A8 screenshots for C64 review of Bounty Bob Strikes Back (although they were honest about this in review), plus interviews with coders like Lucasarts had them saying the A8 range were the 'better' machines and also Archer commented on Atari Dropzone being the superior version.

Lot later, in an opinion piece, C.U Amiga had an article explaing how the Atari Falcon was superior in almost every dept.to the A1200.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 18:43:47 PM »
Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"

Fact:A group of American ex-soliders DID indeed destroy a number of copies of Desert Strike on MD, by burning them, this was done to show their disgust at game being released so soon after the end of the (1st) Gulf War.

Fact:Been done a couple of times, very early days of Zzap 64 had them using A8 screenshots for C64 review of Bounty Bob Strikes Back (although they were honest about this in review), plus interviews with coders like Lucasarts had them saying the A8 range were the 'better' machines and also Archer commented on Atari Dropzone being the superior version.

Lot later, in an opinion piece, C.U Amiga had an article explaing how the Atari Falcon was superior in almost every dept.to the A1200.

I also saw a Commode magazine where Minter stated the A8 was the better machine too

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 18:46:20 PM »
Fiction.

Fact.
Support was not well documented and more complex to implement than other formats. The western launch of Tekken Tag featured it, an improvement over the JP version.

Project Gotham Racing on Xbox did'nt use Full Screen A.A, yet PS2 Stuntman did, so do feel PS2 took some unfair flak regarding it and question of A.A

Context, my dear boy!

Sony spent much time promising the Earth in the lead up to PS2's launch and also very specifically acted to damage Dreamcast's chances too. So when their supposed leviathan of a super-console rocked up and it didn't appear to have something the console they'd been ridiculing had then it made them a laughing stock to some people.

I don't recall Microsoft having acted the way Sony did but then again they were closely tied to Sega at one point (Windows CE as DC's secondary OS) and, as it later came out, were actually considering buying Sega out lock, stock and barrel to theoretically shortcut the process of entering the console hardware business.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2013, 18:50:28 PM »
Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"
I don't recall Microsoft having acted the way Sony did but then again they were closely tied to Sega at one point (Windows CE as DC's secondary OS) and, as it later came out, were actually considering buying Sega out lock, stock and barrel to theoretically shortcut the process of entering the console hardware business.

I also read that the main designer of the Dreamcast also designed the original Xbox and it was originally planned that the Xbox would be backwards compatible with the DC, one reason why the Xbox had so many Sega games on it (that were possibly planned for DC). I heard Bill Gates was the one who put a stop to it because he felt Xbox should stand up on its own as a brand.

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 19:06:15 PM »
Fiction:Gumpei Yokoi was 'punished' by Nintendo for the failure of the Virtua Boy.

Fact:sadly it seems so, when employess make high-profile mistakes in Japan, it's not unusal for their superiors to make an example of them for a short time, before returning them to their former stature.

At the Shoshinkai trade show, where the N64 was being unvieled, Yokoi was given a small booth, in a corner, furthest away from the N64 stand, so he recived few visitors to the stand.

Yep, the manner in which Ninty sidelined him in a way that effectovely pushed him in to resigning was shameful.

All those years of loyal service and, in some instances, fabulously succesful products that he designed and co-designed and they pretty much pushed him out the door after the Virtual Boy debacle.

A debacle that was partly Ninty's fault anyway because Yokoi at one stage wanted the VB to feature graphics of a few colours but Ninty told him to choose only one colour due to cost implications.

At least he went on to design the successful (in Japan) WonderSwan handheld for Bandai before his untimely death which proved he didn't need Ninty to achieve success.

What makes me chuckle is all the Nintendards who seem to worship Yokoi while not realising how shabbily their beloved Ninty treated him at the end.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 19:26:22 PM »
FACT:
During development, the original DirectX box name was shortened to Xbox. Microsoft's marketing department did not like the Xbox name, and suggested many alternatives. During focus testing, the Xbox name was left on the list of possible names to demonstrate how unpopular the Xbox name would be with consumers. However, consumer testing revealed that Xbox was preferred by far over the other suggested names and "Xbox" became the official name of the product.

ADDITIONAL LESSER KNOWN CONTROVERSIAL INFORMATION:
The (DirectX) logo originally resembled a deformed radiation warning symbol. Controversially, the original name for the DirectX project was the "Manhattan Project", a reference to the US nuclear weapons initiative. Alex St. John, creator of the original Microsoft DirectX specification, claims that the connotation with the ultimate outcome of the Manhattan Project (the nuclear bombing of Japan) is intentional, and that DirectX and its sister project, the Xbox (which shares a similar logo), are meant to displace Japanese videogame makers from their dominance of the industry. However, this meaning is publicly denied by Microsoft, which instead claims that it is merely an artistic design.

(All info quoted from Wikipedia)

The story goes that Microsoft named the Xbox thus because they intended it to be akin to them, an American company, dropping a nuclear bomb on Japan's videogame console industry. Shocking stuff.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 20:09:43 PM »
Fiction.

Fact.

Context, my dear boy!

Sony spent much time promising the Earth in the lead up to PS2's launch and also very specifically acted to damage Dreamcast's chances too. So when their supposed leviathan of a super-console rocked up and it didn't appear to have something the console they'd been ridiculing had then it made them a laughing stock to some people.

Prior to buying my Xbox, i saw MS 'downgrade' the Xbox specs, but STILL bandy about on paper type Polygonper sec specs, which they used to compare and contrast to PS2's, so in that regard they used the same ploys Sony did in terms of going all out in the polygon 'arms race' as i call it.

Plus Xbox Vector Units were'nt as flexible as those in PS2 or so various coders off games on both platforms claim.

And i wonder what happened to Xbox being region-free eh MS? Lot of talk about it being just that, before hardware launched, then very quiet when it turned out it was'nt...

:-)

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 20:26:09 PM »
Few points in relation to past few posts.

Word had it Sony had REJECTED Bill Gates request to use MS development tools and O/S in Playstation 2.

In terms of the Windows CE O/S and dev.tools used in Sega's Dreamcast, unless developers were creating games which had ONLINE features, most used Sega's tools, NOT MS CE one's.

In fact Gates himself asked the question: 'Tell me who used Windows CE in a Dreamcast game?' in a meeting when MS were looking at the WebTV device which was being looked at along side the XBox as best way to 'beat' the PS2 in the living room (do we do battle with PS2 via the Xbox or come up from the appliance world via WebTV?'

The team behind the creation of the Xbox got a rocketing at 1 internal meeting.Why? they had'nt detailed the cost of the screws in a bill of materials.

Yokoi's death was due to a car accident, but i'm lead to believe it was a savage twist of fate type affair.

Story goes he and a friend were involved in a MINOR car accident (their car went up the backside of another), Yokoi and friend got out of the car to inspect the damage to the other car, when they were THEN both hit by a 3rd car.

Yokoi suffering fatal injuries, his friend whilst hurt, not suffering the same degree of injury.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 20:29:52 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"

I also read that the main designer of the Dreamcast also designed the original Xbox and it was originally planned that the Xbox would be backwards compatible with the DC, one reason why the Xbox had so many Sega games on it (that were possibly planned for DC). I heard Bill Gates was the one who put a stop to it because he felt Xbox should stand up on its own as a brand.

I DO know for a fact Toe Jam And Earl 3 and Gun Valk. started out on Dreamcast, before Sega moved them onto Xbox (and they really needed to sort out G.Valks camera and controls, ruined a lovely looking game)

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 20:32:05 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"

I also saw a Commode magazine where Minter stated the A8 was the better machine too

Zzap 64's Elktaglide review also made note that the Atari version was far superior.

And another C.U instance, they praised the Jaguar in a CD32 Vs upcoming consoles feature.

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2013, 03:04:19 AM »
Fiction.

Fact.

Context, my dear boy!

Prior to buying my Xbox, i saw MS 'downgrade' the Xbox specs, but STILL bandy about on paper type Polygonper sec specs, which they used to compare and contrast to PS2's, so in that regard they used the same ploys Sony did in terms of going all out in the polygon 'arms race' as i call it.

Plus Xbox Vector Units were'nt as flexible as those in PS2 or so various coders off games on both platforms claim.

And i wonder what happened to Xbox being region-free eh MS? Lot of talk about it being just that, before hardware launched, then very quiet when it turned out it was'nt...

:-)

I really don't think such actions put Microsoft in the same league as Sony when it comes to BS and lies.

For the sake of clarity, please don't infer from that or any previous post of mine that I'm some sort of Microsoft fan/fanboy as I've no time whatsoever for such moronic nonsense. I really couldn't give a damn for fanboys of any allegiance whether they worship Atari, Commodore, Sinclair, Sega, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft or Apple, et al. They're all as pitiful as one another, in my opinion.

At least on RVG we don't get that crap and, given recent events, I'd hope things stay that way so the forum doesn't go down the drain like certain other videogaming forums have. The moderators seem to know what they're doing here so far and long may it stay that way.

To clarify further in case any easily offended conspiracy theory types get the wrong idea from the above I've no problem whatsoever with fans of whatever videogames or videogame developers/publishers. It's the moronic fanboys I'm referring to whom are a breed apart and serve to blight many other videogame forums and, if left unchecked by weak or clueless moderators, do enormous damage to the community.

@ RT: For the record, none of that was directed at you personally. :)