Fact Behind The Fiction

Started by Rogue Trooper, January 06, 2013, 15:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Quote from: "Big Phil"You really are keeping me in suspsense about the E.T. cartridges aren't you  :)

I can answer that for you:

FACT: Atari did fill up a landfill in New Mexico but not with Pac-Man and E.T. cartridges, that part of the story is just a myth. What they did do is dump faulty hardware, obsolete equipment, unwanted ROM chips and stuff like that. It was just a general dump, the ROM chips of course probably were E.T. and Pac-Man as Atari would have just re-used the circuit boards and cartridge shells for other games.

Big Phil

Cheers for that! Heard a similar story about the last of the star wars figures being used as landfill also.

nakamura

Fiction.
The Sony Playstation 2 had no anti aliasing support.

Fact.
Support was not well documented and more complex to implement than other formats. The western launch of Tekken Tag featured it, an improvement over the JP version.

DreamcastRIP

I seem to recall the PAL release of Tekken Tag Tournament on PS2 being crucified in the gaming press for it being a lazy non-optimised NTSC port. My memory is vague in recalling the details now but didn't it have black screen borders and only run in 50Hz too because of this?
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Oh yeah, Namco and Capcom were sod lazy in the first year. Ridge Racer is so bad too.

The US version of Tekken Tag is the best version of the game. Ridge Racer V on JP even had a nasty memory card wiping bug.

The US Tekken Tag was a lovely looking game. Up there with DC Soul Calibur as one of the best arcade to home translations. Pity Sony screwed it up by not pushing for 60hz like Sega did.

TL

FICTION: The Legend Of Zelda on the NES was the first game to have a battery back-up save feature on the cartridge.

FACT: This is not actually true. Zelda came out August 1987 in the US, but the cartridge version of Hydlide II on the MSX had battery backup even earlier in late 1986.

nakamura

I think that one gets mixed up because Zelda was released in February 1986 in Japan but on the disc system and not on cart like in the west.

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "nakamura"Oh yeah, Namco and Capcom were sod lazy in the first year. Ridge Racer is so bad too.

Yep, that Ridge Racer PS2 PAL conversion was rightly slaughtered too.

QuoteThe US version of Tekken Tag is the best version of the game. Ridge Racer V on JP even had a nasty memory card wiping bug.

The US Tekken Tag was a lovely looking game. Up there with DC Soul Calibur as one of the best arcade to home translations. Pity Sony screwed it up by not pushing for 60hz like Sega did.

Don't forget the iffy scrolling effect and the fact the game lazily used the same animation and motion capture data for the fighters that they used in Tekken 3 on the relatively lowly PS1.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "nakamura"Fiction.
The Sony Playstation 2 had no anti aliasing support.

Fact.
Support was not well documented and more complex to implement than other formats. The western launch of Tekken Tag featured it, an improvement over the JP version.

:-) Ahem, not read my post on this on page 1? Support was documented in the manuals Sony gave to developers, Phil Harrison got so wound up about it at a developers conference, he ripped said page out of documentation/manual just to prove the point.

Gave examples of European early use of it as well on P1.

nakamura

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"
Quote from: "nakamura"Oh yeah, Namco and Capcom were sod lazy in the first year. Ridge Racer is so bad too.

Yep, that Ridge Racer PS2 PAL conversion was rightly slaughtered too.

QuoteThe US version of Tekken Tag is the best version of the game. Ridge Racer V on JP even had a nasty memory card wiping bug.

Don't forget the iffy scrolling effect and the fact the game lazily used the same animation and motion capture data for the fighters that they used in Tekken 3 on the relatively lowly PS1.

Certainly correct but the PS2 version was a lovely port like SC was on DC.  Both Tekken Tag and Soul Calibur run on the ageing System 12 hardware in the arcade. I wouldn't be surprised to see plenty of animation from Soul Edge in Calibur.

RT, sorry pal I thought that was from another thread.

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "nakamura"... Both Tekken Tag and Soul Calibur run on the ageing System 12 hardware in the arcade. I wouldn't be surprised to see plenty of animation from Soul Edge in Calibur.

I'd be very surprised if that were the case.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "nakamura"... Both Tekken Tag and Soul Calibur run on the ageing System 12 hardware in the arcade. I wouldn't be surprised to see plenty of animation from Soul Edge in Calibur.

I could probably answer this one, as have various interviews  with the coding teams, butt...

1)Said interviews are in magazines which i've just re-buried and shudder at prospect of digging them out again, :-) and 2)Never been a huge Tekken fan, so would'nt have made a mental note on which publication i saw them in.

Sorry guys.

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Sorry guys.

Not good enough, buster. You're hereby sentenced to a day's gaming on the Cheetah Gamate and Watara/QuickShot Supervision!  :P

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Sorry guys.

Not good enough, buster. You're hereby sentenced to a day's gaming on the Cheetah Gamate and Watara/QuickShot Supervision!  :P

Can i take the blindfold?

Still looking on the brightside, i'd take the pair of those over the original GB any day....

(Say that as 'owner' of GB, by owner, mean, was given 1, it sits, lurking boxed up, never to see light of day again).

nakamura

Because?

Either way, SC was running on slightly souped up PS1 hardware, certainly nothing cutting edge.