Author Topic: Let's Compare Robocop  (Read 3823 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Let's Compare Robocop
« on: January 02, 2013, 22:01:41 PM »

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline TL

• View Profile
Re: Let's Compare Robocop
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 22:31:46 PM »
It is so true what it says about the Spectrum version there, on a 128k machine it is utterlt sublime. Quite easily one of the top 5 games on the machine. Everything about it is utter class, it might only be monochrome but it looks fantastic and the animation on the Robocop sprite is perfect. Can't say enough good things about that version.

I also owned the ST version (and still do) it was a big disappointment after the Spectrum version but then it is a faithful conversion of the also inferior arcade game.

My brother had the Gameboy version too and I remember it being quite similar to the Speccy version and also very good.

Offline 108 Stars

• View Profile
    • http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:16:19 AM »
I only played the Gameboy version, really fine game. But looking at the video most 8-bit versions look really good, save  fr the Apple II one.

The NES game and he 16-bit versions seem to be different games though, seeing how Robocop starts without a weapon and punches people.
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:35:44 AM »
Quote from: "108 Stars"
I only played the Gameboy version, really fine game. But looking at the video most 8-bit versions look really good, save  fr the Apple II one.

The NES game and he 16-bit versions seem to be different games though, seeing how Robocop starts without a weapon and punches people.

Yeah I forgot to mention that rather unfortunate Apple II version, looks pretty good until it moves and the sound is shocking.

Offline 108 Stars

• View Profile
    • http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 04:33:21 AM »
But sadly Robocop can look even worse than on the Apple II. We will all have to take that pain this year...

Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

Offline Tachi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »
Quote from: "108 Stars"
But sadly Robocop can look even worse than on the Apple II. We will all have to take that pain this year...

I believe this was confirmed as standard police armour in the film and not the Robocop Body.
Spectrum is surprisingly well drawn and animated but C64 is a loss less impressive than I remember it being :(
For pure fact it excels my expectations I'd give it to Spectrum!

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 19:56:00 PM »
Along with Bubble Bobble, Robocop remains an arcade fav.of mine from my youth.

So wanted home conversion of arcade game when Retro was 'in' on things like PS1/Saturn Retro compiliations., so whilst i rate the arcade game as just amazing...

Apple 2 and Dos games i'd never seen, Apple looks awful, Dos just wierd.

CPC version, small playing window, music's ok, colourful but chunky sprites, looks like worst 8 Bit micro version of the 'big 3'.

C64, nicely defined sprites, good music, but i swear game was bugged, i could never get out of drugs factory, had to punch a wall etc, never got past it.

Speccy 128K version THE 8-Bit version and NO mistake.

ST version i had on a compilation, very dissapointing.

Offline SnakeEyes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 22:45:31 PM »
I love the Arcade original, and I have to say I have a fondness for the amstrad version. Although the NES version is a completely different game I played it to death growing up and I love the music on that version.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 22:47:42 PM »
And the award for the weirdest version of Robocop goes to . . . . . .

Robocop (Atari 8 Bit)

Offline Spector

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 22:58:08 PM »
I found the GB version of Robocop bloody difficult. Were the photofit sections workable? The Mean Machines review said they were too tough to make out on the small GB screen.
DEATH TO SUGAR

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 23:30:08 PM »
Quote from: "SnakeEyes"
I love the Arcade original, and I have to say I have a fondness for the amstrad version. Although the NES version is a completely different game I played it to death growing up and I love the music on that version.

Well, that's common with the NES ports.  They were more original games than actual ports many times.  Good to see that this version works out well, though.

Offline SnakeEyes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 23:33:45 PM »
TBF, if I had nver played the NES version growing up I would think it was a letdown. But Nostalgia and Childhood memories are a powerful thing, and because of that I love it.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 23:37:42 PM »
Quote from: "SnakeEyes"
TBF, if I had nver played the NES version growing up I would think it was a letdown. But Nostalgia and Childhood memories are a powerful thing, and because of that I love it.

Fair enough.  :)

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 21:38:29 PM »
I just found this, a bloody brilliant POKEY rendition of the music from the Atari ST version:

Robocop (Demo) Atari 8 Bit Music