Let's Compare Castlevania

Started by TrekMD, January 02, 2013, 21:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Someone is trying to program this game for the Atari 2600, which will be another impressive feat if done.  So, I figured I'd post this video comparing other versions.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

108 Stars

I'm quite impressed with the C64 and DOS versions. Especially the C64 one seems good. There could have been more detailed sprites, but the gameplay and speed is pretty much intact; and thanks to fewer enemies it should be somewhat easier, so I would probably have picked that ne over the NES version back in the day.
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

Rogue Trooper

C64 version, sound (music) very harsh on the old ears, poor use of SID, but otherwise game is fine.

DOS looks nice, but again, let down by audio.

108 Stars

Say, is it just me or do the enemies in the Amiga-version look like huge cartoon witches with hobbit-feet, dwarfing Simon in comparison? :P

Looks quite ridiculous.^^
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

TL

TrekMD

Quote from: "108 Stars"Say, is it just me or do the enemies in the Amiga-version look like huge cartoon witches with hobbit-feet, dwarfing Simon in comparison? :P

Looks quite ridiculous.^^

So, do we call them Hobbtches then?  Or are they Witchbbits?   

64bitRuss

One of my favorite NES games ever. I had never seen any of these other versions before this video. I am really digging the funky remixed tunes on the MSX game, and I like the graphics of the X68000 version.

TL

I never really got into Castlevania but I did absolutely love Master Of Darkness for the Master System. A blatant clone of the series but a really impressive game for the system that I would say is better than any of the official Castlevania games on the NES:

TrekMD

Here is a new video looking at the various versions of Castlevania...

davyk

I don't even like the NES version of C-Vania.  It's probably because my first game was IV on SNES which is majestic. I even own the soundtrack on vinyl.  Such is my fanboy-ness of that game.

I like Rondo of Blood, Chronicles on PS1 (itself a remake of a JP Sharp computer version) and WiiWare's Rebirth. But I really don't like the Metroidvania games which the series developed into. I even dislike Symphony of the Night - and I really wanted to like it. I appreciate those games but I just don't like them as I prefer my C-Vania to be linear.

But I do have to pay tribute to the NES original. A great series that is due a proper update , remembering to drop the idea that it could be a 3D game. I've given up on thinking I'd ever get a current gen 2D linear game though. :(

TrekMD

It would be cool to see an update with that 2D plus mode that is pseudo 3D. 

davyk

Yeah - that would be nice. As long as it plays 2D I'd be all for that.