Parallella - $99 Open computing platform

Started by Havantgottaclue, December 13, 2012, 19:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Havantgottaclue

Adapteva managed to successfully get Kickstarter funding for this project a little while ago. It looks like an interesting development - still the best way to get the lowdown on it is to have a look at the video on Adapteva's website:

http://www.adapteva.com/

It's another cheap computing platform for enthusiasts - it's targeting the Raspberry Pi crowd here I guess. The draw here is the multicore nature of the boards: the $99 board, the Epiphany III, features 16 RISC cores each operating at a clock speed of up to 1GHz each, while the more expensive ($199 IIRC) Epiphany IV has a 64-core setup.

So. More powerful than a Wii U, and nowhere near as expensive. [/troll]

zapiy

This is very interesting indeed.. New one on me also so thanks for sharing and good to see you around again. 8)

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Havantgottaclue

Cheers, nice to be back ...

Another thing that's interesting about this project is that they have pledged to release their schematics and other documentation into the public domain (or perhaps via some open source licence - I can't remember off-hand) so the research will benefit the community much more widely.

zapiy

That's very interesting to hear. Especially for people that like to dabble.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC