Nintendo NES Must Have Games!

Started by TL, February 16, 2012, 22:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

So, does anyone else have game recommendations for the NES?  Trying to keep in mind titles that are more of exclusive to the system.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"So, does anyone else have game recommendations for the NES?  Trying to keep in mind titles that are more of exclusive to the system.  :)

Rad Racer
Cobra Triangle
Solar Jetman
Captain Skyhawk
Snake Rattle & Roll

TL

Damn just noticed I said a couple of those already  :-[

Add these:

Excitebike
RC Pro AM
Baloon Fight

TrekMD

Cool, I'll have to check videos on those.  Thanks!

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Cool, I'll have to check videos on those.  Thanks!

No probs, also you might like Adventure Island, which is basically Wonderboy for the NES (the game Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest is based on), I am pretty sure I have reviewed it on here. And another quite similar game that is pretty decent is Joe & Mac Caveman Ninja, again I think I reviewed this.

TrekMD

Hmm, Adventure Island may be one to check then.  That Caveman Ninja sounds interesting too just based on that name!  LOL

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Hmm, Adventure Island may be one to check then.  That Caveman Ninja sounds interesting too just based on that name!  LOL

I just looked, I have written reviews of both games as I thought.

TrekMD

Sounds good.  I'll check those as well.  :)

sloan

Quote from: "TrekMD"So, does anyone else have game recommendations for the NES?  Trying to keep in mind titles that are more of exclusive to the system.  :)

At the risk of repeating, my list:

Faxanadu
Star Tropics
Super Mario Bros 2
Rolling Thunder
Kickle Cubicle
Karnov
Rygar
Arkanoid (get the Vaus controller, though)
Rad Racer (use the cheap red/blue 3D glasses in 3D mode and it is a nice experience)
A Boy and His Blob,Trouble on Blobolonia
Gauntlet

Does anyone have any recommendations for good PAL-only releases for NES? I have a region-free top loader and am looking for some games I have never experienced before.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "sloan"

At the risk of repeating, my list:

Faxanadu
Star Tropics
Super Mario Bros 2
Rolling Thunder
Kickle Cubicle
Karnov
Rygar
Arkanoid (get the Vaus controller, though)
Rad Racer (use the cheap red/blue 3D glasses in 3D mode and it is a nice experience)
A Boy and His Blob,Trouble on Blobolonia
Gauntlet

Does anyone have any recommendations for good PAL-only releases for NES? I have a region-free top loader and am looking for some games I have never experienced before.

Tried:

Elite
Dropzone
Rodland
Super Turrican

Think these are Pal only, but not overly familar with the NES.

TrekMD

Thanks for the recommendations.  I actually think Gauntlet II is better than Gauntlet on the NES, after trying both games.  :)

Bobinator

I'd like to put up a reccomendation for Vice: Project Doom, one of the later NES games.

NES Longplay [113] Vice Project Doom

So this is an action platformer in the style of Ninja Gaiden. The twist is that there's also a couple of SHMUP stages where you race down the highway in your awesome car, blowing crap up. There's also a couple of Operation Wolf style levels. It's a pretty polished effort, and while the majority of the game involves the 'on foot' scenes, it's still a good mix of game styles.

NES Longplay [247] Solstice

Solstice is a game for those of you among the 'wander around a bunch of isometric rooms and collect crap' persuasion. It also has music by Tim Follin, which I would honestly say is more of a reason to play the game than the gameplay. But hey, some people like these!

NES Longplay [183] Action in New York

Action in New York, or S.C.A.T as it was known in the US (Bet they'd regret THAT name) is a SHMUP by Natsume, a company who'd make a lot of really good games before being cursed to make a bunch of boring farming simulators for the rest of eternity. It's a little like FOrgotten Worlds, in that you control a character on a jetpack.

Actually, better idea. If anybody has a particular genre they're into, let me know I'll root around and see if I can find anything like that they might like.

Vyothric

Having now familiarised myself with the NES a bit, my suggestions would be:

Batman
Batman: Return of the Joker
Bomberman 2
Bucky O' Hare
Crisis Force
Darkwing Duck

The Batman games are ace. Bomberman is well, Bomberman. Bucky O' Hare is a game that I played at random because I watched the cartoon and found the game to be pretty good (but also really difficult). Crisis Force is a good shoot 'em up that I was actually able to finish. Darkwing Duck - well it's Darkwing Duck so it's just cool. I think I read somewhere that it's actually based on the Mega Man 5 engine so it does play a bit like a Mega Man game, but is so much better than any of the Mega Man games.

TrekMD

onthinice

Cool video! It is nice that the NES has such a diverse library to allow everyone to have their own thoughts for a best top 5.

Great System!