Games that you would love to hack!

Started by TL, November 30, 2012, 17:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

I was just thinking about this, what are the games out there that you would love to hack to change them in some way or add extra features they were lacking?

The game I was thinking about was Atari Karts for the Jaguar:

! Video not found

I think Miracle Designs and Atari missed a trick with this game, they put Bentley Bear in but where are all the other characters from Atari's past?

I would hack it and take out the rubbish made-up characters and add people like the dragon from Adventure, Major Havoc, Centipede, Louie from Scrapyard Dog, Outlaw, Trevor McFur, Skylar from Cybermorph/Battlemorph and of course Paperboy on his bike!!!

How cool would that be?  8)

TrekMD

That would be great.  This game should have been an extravaganza of Atari characters!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"That would be great.  This game should have been an extravaganza of Atari characters!

Exactly! You could even add in the Alien and Predator as secret characters!!!

Bobinator

Primal Rage. I've got a love/hate relationship with this game. There's such a good concept behind it, and it almost does a good job of bridging the gap between Street Fighter's gameplay and Mortal Kombat's controls. The issue is the controls, or, more specifically, the special move inputs.

See, the controls in the arcade version have four buttons, set up in a square. And to do special moves, you typically have to hit two or more buttons along with the directional input. I couldn't say how easy this is for the arcade cabinet, but on any other controller, you'll damn near break your fingers trying to pull off a fireball.

So, what I would do is fix the controls so they're not so... ugh. That's honestly all I'd really do, and I'd imagine it'd make the game a lot better.

dcultrapro

not sure if it counts but I used to do the debug mode on Sonic 2 on the MD to beat it when I was younger. So I'd get all the chaos emeralds and I'd put rings in the last level so I could go super sonic and beat the last boss. Eventually I got so good at it I didn't need to anymore lol
Ultrapro on xbox live

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Bobinator"Primal Rage. I've got a love/hate relationship with this game. There's such a good concept behind it, and it almost does a good job of bridging the gap between Street Fighter's gameplay and Mortal Kombat's controls. The issue is the controls, or, more specifically, the special move inputs.

See, the controls in the arcade version have four buttons, set up in a square. And to do special moves, you typically have to hit two or more buttons along with the directional input. I couldn't say how easy this is for the arcade cabinet, but on any other controller, you'll damn near break your fingers trying to pull off a fireball.

So, what I would do is fix the controls so they're not so... ugh. That's honestly all I'd really do, and I'd imagine it'd make the game a lot better.

They actually did fix the controls in the arcade. Later arcade cabinets were a different version that had Street Fighter like special moves. I don't think that version ever made it to a home system though.

TL

I don't remember having problems doing the specials on the Jaguar CD version but I have to admit that I havn't played it in ages.

Bobinator

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"They actually did fix the controls in the arcade. Later arcade cabinets were a different version that had Street Fighter like special moves. I don't think that version ever made it to a home system though.

No, see, the thing is, they still made it so you have to hit multiple buttons to do the special moves. Which, on a SNES pad or Genesis pad, or anything that isn't the arcade cabinet, it... well, kind of hurts. Maybe I'm just missing something, or I need to make use of that "crab" style of pushing buttons all the professional fighting game players talk about.

TrekMD

Karateka for the 7800 needs to be hacked, desperately.  Maybe it can be turned into a real game!

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Karateka for the 7800 needs to be hacked, desperately.  Maybe it can be turned into a real game!

Great pick, if it had controls that actually worked it would be a brilliant game!

Much like Checkered Flag on the Jaguar.

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "TrekMD"Karateka for the 7800 needs to be hacked, desperately.  Maybe it can be turned into a real game!

Great pick, if it had controls that actually worked it would be a brilliant game!

Much like Checkered Flag on the Jaguar.

Absolutely.  Visually the game is well done, so it just needs better controls and faster reaction to the controls.

Rogue Trooper

As a C64 owner:

Chase H.Q, R-Type and Afterburner, for starters,C64 deserved far better and was capable of better.

As Atari 800XL owner:Gauntlet, Arkanoid and Green Beret-for same reasons as above.

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"As a C64 owner:

Chase H.Q, R-Type and Afterburner, for starters,C64 deserved far better and was capable of better.

As Atari 800XL owner:Gauntlet, Arkanoid and Green Beret-for same reasons as above.

There is a hack of Arkanoid that makes it better, I have it on my A8 emulator.

TL

Somebody was mentioning Checkered Flag for the Jaguar in another thread, that really does need hacking to make the controls work better!

I also think it would be cool to add a split screen 2-player mode too or Jaglink capability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2ox5aAL87c

Rogue Trooper

ALL the bloody driving/racing games that suffer from twitchy, over sensitive steering when using a normal pad.

So that'd be:Cheq.Flag 2 on Jaguar, Gran Turismo series on PS2, Daytona USA on DC, Manx TT and Hang On GP '95 both on Saturn, for starters.

Seriousily, this should be an areathat is gotten spot on in this genre.