Let's Compare: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Started by TL, November 26, 2012, 17:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Another comparison video of the TMNT Arcade game has been posted.  Here it is:

[align=center:3hc1bicl]Let's Compare ( Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ) The arcade Game[/align:3hc1bicl]

When the arcade game came out it was without doubt my favourite coin-op around. My brother and I pumped money into it at every opportunity, it really captured the cartoon perfectly. I never understood why Konami made that crappy NES platformer first rather than convert this. Thankfully that was later corrected with this release and I rushed out to buy the Speccy version, it was actually the very last Spectrum game I bought before I got rid of it and traded it in for an Atari ST. The Spectrum version was pretty good despite the monochrome graphics and nearly non-existent sound. But I completed it pretty quickly and it just couldn't compete with the arcade game. I really wish I had purchased the ST version as I have found out in later years that it is actually very good indeed. I didn't really get my fill of the heroes in a half shell again until Konami released Hyperstone Heist for the Mega Drive (which was one of the few MD games I bought on release!)

[align=center:3hc1bicl]Mega Drive Longplay [036] Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist[/align:3hc1bicl]

TrekMD

Oh, that looks (and sounds) great!  I want this!

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Oh, that looks (and sounds) great!  I want this!

Yes you definitely do! I really should do a review of it actually!

TrekMD

Hmm, seems to be a bit on the "rare" kind.  At least, based on the prices I'm seeing in Ebay.

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Hmm, seems to be a bit on the "rare" kind.  At least, based on the prices I'm seeing in Ebay.

I was going to say actually, as it's quite rare/sought after over here but I wasn't sure if the same was true in the US.

I was really lucky, I snagged mine for £20 when I was randomly browsing eBay and saw a boxed one on a BIN that had only been listed a few minutes before, I didn't have to think twice!

TrekMD

Darn, you got lucky!  I'm watching a couple of CIB versions right now.  :)

sloan

Quote from: "The Laird"I never understood why Konami made that crappy NES platformer first rather than convert this.

The NES TMNT platformer is the redheaded stepchild of the series, but do find it to have a nice bit of fun as well.

As for Hyperstone Heist, it is a great game, although I wish Konami had added the ability to throw baddies into the screen ala Turtles in Time on SNES. To me, that is what makes Turtles in Time extra special.

No one has mentioned it yet, but Gamecube had this version and it is quite fun as well. I should mention that Gamecube is one of my favorite modern consoles, and underrated at that.

TMNT (Game Cube) Game Play

TrekMD

That looks cool.  We don't really mention the Game Cube much, so it's cool to see this game for it.

TrekMD

Looks like the folks from Gaming History Source have uploaded a new video looking at TMNT.  Check it out...

[align=center:8e7xcnd9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I3Q-bBUa68[/align:8e7xcnd9]