Sega Master System Must Have Games!

Started by TL, February 12, 2012, 16:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcultrapro

lol yeah the Jaguar looked atrocious via RF, I have both the official scart and official RCA cable, on my youtube there are some nice Jaguar games I captured via RCA-USB... that's the thing I'm really annoyed about, I can't capture from the Mega Drive, 32x or Master System as the picture comes out with funny colours :(
Ultrapro on xbox live

108 Stars

Another great system... here's my top ten:

• Phantasy Star: Released not long after Final Fantasy on NES, this game does not get the credit it deserves. It looks like a whole different generation from FF: detailed graphics, party members with personality, cutscenes with big pictures, more complex story, female protagonist in 1987, dungeons in super-smooth scrolling 1st person perspective, animated enemies, fair balancing... just phantastic. :)
  • Shinobi: The first in the series, and while not as refined as later entries still a classic
  • Sonic the Hedgehog: Part 1 is better than on MD
  • Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap: Peak of the SMS Wonder Boys
  • Wonder Boy in Monsterland: Great mix between platforming and RPG
  • Golden Axe Warrior: Blatant Zelda-clone, but a really good one.
  • R-Type: Impressive port of a great shooter
  • Ultima IV: Great port of Lord British's classic RPG; including the original primitive graphics.
  • Land of Illusion: Late, great platformer
  • Ghostbusters: Enhanced port of David Crane's classic. Only flaw is that for some reason the proton beams no go up vertically instead of diagonal, which is silly. But it has some extra sections not available in any other version
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

onthinice

Two of the SMS games I play most:

Choplifter
Rampage

Console Compulsive

My favorites are exactly the same as 108stars list but i have a few more which I would add on.

1) Alex Kid series - All play slightly different but absolutely loved Alex kid in Hi Tec World
2) Aztec Adventure - walk around cutesy hack and bash where you pay peasant animals to die for you
3) Kenseiden - Beautiful Japanese Samirai demon killer platformer.
4) Ys the Vanished Omens - An action RPG with a collision based attack system.
5) Dragon Crystal - Master system port of Fatal Labyrinth
6) Golvelluis:Valley of doom - Zelda like RPG
7) Fantasy Zone - Bright, colourful, twee shoot 'em up
8 ) Zillion - Fantastic Puzzle maze shooter
9) Spellcaster - A great little action RPG
10) Psycho Fox - Brilliant platformer which i'm pretty sure was the fore runner to Decap Attack on the Megadrive.

Crusto

Don't forget the fantastic versions of paperboy and gauntlet, the latter being second only to the MD version in my humble but right opinion!

Y's was the first RPG I played, brilliant. Rastas wasn't too shabby on the MS either and California games was brilliant.
Bitches leave

Tachi

For me the only games I really play these days are:
Ghostbusters
Rastan
Heroes of the Lance
Ultima 4
Gauntlet

Not a lot else really speaks to me anymore :)
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."
? H.P. Lovecraft

TL

I somehow forgot to mention it in my original post but the Master System has the best version of Choplifter out there. It's a conversion of the arcade game rather than the Apple II original and it's fantastic.

Another game worth mentioning is Master Of Darkness, I just recently read about this game in Retro Gamer and then got to play it at Video Game Carnival. It's a blatant Castlevania clone but an incredibly good one with some fantastic graphics and brilliant gameplay, highly recommended.

onthinice

I agree Choplifter really shines on the Master System.