Author Topic: Let's name some good point and click adventure games!  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
Let's name some good point and click adventure games!
« on: November 01, 2012, 20:17:35 PM »
Ah, the point and click adventure game. The game of choice for those of us too busy to deal with a silly parser. Collect things! Use them on other things! Talk to people! Die a lot! (Unless you're playing a Lucasarts game, of course.)

So, here's some I thought were pretty good. Sure, I could name Monkey Island and what have you, but you should know me better to go for the obvious choices first.

Blazing Dragons

What's unusual about this game is that it never got a PC release, just the PS1 and Sega Saturn. I remember reading a review of this game in this one British magazine, 'Official Sega Saturn Magazine'. They trashed it because it was 2D and it was 'too American'. Even though it was based on a cartoon produced by Terry Jones. You know. The Monty Python guy. The British guy.

...But enough about that! Basically, you play as Flicker, an inventor dragon tasked to uncover the evil humans' plot to conquer the kingdom of Camelhot. (See what they did there? You might have to think about it, it's subtle.) It's a very Lucasarts style game, so there's no death and no way to get stuck. You also have some great hand-drawn artwork, a lot of goofy dialogue, and an item that makes an annoying clicking noise, which every character in the game will comment on.

King's Quest 2 VGA

I know I said I wouldn't be saying any 'obvious' games, but not everybody might know about this one. Basically, the original King's Quest, released in 1985, was a very simple 'treasure hunt/save the princess' game where different fairy tare characters were plastered all over the map. The remake keeps the basic story (You have to save a woman from a tower), but it overhauls everything else completely. The characters are more fleshed out, there's new locations to visit, and the puzzles have been redone.

There's some pretty high production values in this, with 256-color graphics and full voice acting. It even has the original voice actor for King Graham return to reprise the role. Just keep in mind, however, this IS in the spirit of Sierra, and the game will NOT hesitate to kill you if it thinks you've messed up.

(Sorry, this Let's Play is the best video I could find.) If the game interests you, you can grab it here, along with their other games, all of which are about the same level of quality. They've done remakes for King's Quest 1-3, Quest for Glory 2, along with an original game you can buy called Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine. I'd hesitate on buying that one, not because it's a bad game, but because the main character has the worst voice you could imagine.

Offline DZ-Jay

• View Profile
    • http://www.CarolVsGhost.com
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 22:07:31 PM »
Oh, boy! One of my favorite genres!

I'd have to say, Space Quest--all of them.  I love those games!

dZ.

Offline dcultrapro

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Antonyv1982?feature=mhee
Re: Let's name some good point and click adventure games!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »
I know its not all that retro but I like Broken Sword; Shadow Of The Templars that was on Playstation

Ultrapro on xbox live

Offline Vyothric

• View Profile
    • http://www.diffusedion.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 12:29:34 PM »
Obvious or not:

Day of the Tentacle
Full Throttle
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Monkey Island 1-3
Simon the Sorcerer 1&2
The Legend of Kyrandia

Non-retro:

Machinarium
The Immortals of Terra: A Perry Rhodan Adventure

Tried Sam & Max but couldn't get into it. Likewise with Discworld. I quite liked Beneath a Steel Sky, but got stuck and never finished it.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 19:07:10 PM »
I have never been a massive fan of the genre but 2 games I have enjoyed over the years are:

Discworld - Sega Saturn

I have to admit to never having read any of the books but I had heard lots about them. This game has great voice overs, loads of humour and uncomplicated gameplay. I never completed it but I found it much more straight forward than other point & click adventures I have played and will probably go back to it again someday.

Myst - Atari Jaguar CD

This game is on other systems too but I always found the Jaguar version to be the best, this is because it seems to have much quicker load times and richer graphics too. The puzzles are very off the wall but the game is just so beautiful it draws you in. I have completed it but I did have to use a walkthrough guide in order to do so.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 21:47:19 PM »
Prisoner Of Ice on PC CD.Superbly atmospheric point n click affair.

guest4451

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 06:19:17 AM »
Beneath a Steel Sky is my personal favourite - immersive atmosphere, great humour and an engaging story. It also yields some excellent music and voice acting - make sure you play the full talkie version!

Offline DZ-Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 16:10:50 PM »
Quote from: "Vyothric"
Obvious or not:

Day of the Tentacle
Full Throttle
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Monkey Island 1-3
Simon the Sorcerer 1&2
The Legend of Kyrandia

Non-retro:

Machinarium
The Immortals of Terra: A Perry Rhodan Adventure

Tried Sam & Max but couldn't get into it. Likewise with Discworld. I quite liked Beneath a Steel Sky, but got stuck and never finished it.

Oh!  Day of the Tentacle!!! Yes! Thank you for jogging memory.

I love that game.  I played it just last year, in Dosbox on my Mac.

dZ.

--
Sent from my iPhone, so igmore teh typpos...

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 17:22:46 PM »
What about the Leisure Suit Larry games?

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 19:33:09 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"

If we're going by that, I'd say that most of the games are honestly worth skipping over. The first game is good, even if it's got some really archaic design, by today's standards.

LSL6 is the one I'd personally say is my favorite. They ditched Passionate Patty from 3 & 5, which means it goes back to the standard 'get women to have sex with you' format. There's a lot of interaction and funny messages you can get by messing around with things, which is a big plus for me, and best of all, if you die, you can just respawn at whatever killed you.

Offline DZ-Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 14:09:15 PM »
Quote from: "Bobinator"
Quote from: "The Laird"

If we're going by that, I'd say that most of the games are honestly worth skipping over. The first game is good, even if it's got some really archaic design, by today's standards.

LSL6 is the one I'd personally say is my favorite. They ditched Passionate Patty from 3 & 5, which means it goes back to the standard 'get women to have sex with you' format. There's a lot of interaction and funny messages you can get by messing around with things, which is a big plus for me, and best of all, if you die, you can just respawn at whatever killed you.

I personally like all of them. I have one of those box-sets with all the games, and I played them every other year or so. :-)

Offline Alberto 2K

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 12:18:37 PM »
I loved playing Indiana Jones and the last crusade on my sister's 8088 when I was a kid. Never played another point & click adventure game since then but it's an interesting genre that I would like to explore.
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 22:06:24 PM »
I recently got Elansar for the Jaguar, it certainly doesn't fit into the "good" category though:

Atari Jaguar in HD - Post Release - Elansar (Full Game)

Offline Vyothric

• View Profile
    • http://www.diffusedion.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 03:16:44 AM »
One of the most interesting games I played last year was a game called "The Dig" on the PC. Playable via ScummVM. If you like point & click games you should try it out.

I'm thinking about finally getting round to playing the Broken Sword games.

guest5102

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 19:27:01 PM »
Simon the Sorceror has already been mentioned, and I also thought the Gobliiins games were entertaining and imaginative.