Author Topic: Atari 7800 Must Have Games  (Read 1852 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile
Atari 7800 Must Have Games
« on: February 12, 2012, 14:49:08 PM »
When trying to write this top 10 list I actually found it much harder than I thought I would, I kind of forgot how many good games there were for the 7800. Eventually I came up with this but easily could have added more, especially the great arcade conversions. I am sure others will mention these when they add their own!

Ninja Golf - I think pretty much every console has that one game that has become iconic and is the first one everyone thinks of when the machine is mentioned. This game is it for the 7800, a wonderfully crazy mix of a scrolling beat 'em up and golf! If you own this system then you simply must have this game!

Ballblazer - Released by Lucasarts (of Star Wars fame) this is one of the games that really shows what the 7800 can do. It's a futuristic sports game where you use a ship to blast a ball across a playfield into the opponents goal. Stunning 3D graphics, great gameplay and even a POKEY chip in the cart for better sound!

Centipede - I have always been a massive fan of this frentic shooter and there is no denying that this 7800 conversion is by far the best. Not only does it include everything from the arcade original it also adds an absolutely superb simultaneous 2-player mode which isn't found in any other version!

Beef Drop - This quite brilliant homebrew game for the 7800 is actually a conversion of Data East's highly popular arcade game Burger Time. It's pretty much a perfect translation as you run around the screen trying to build those burgers. This game is also available as a POKEY version too with even better sound!

Food Fight - It's criminal that this very under rated arcade game wasn't converted to more home consoles. Thankfully this 7800 version is so good that you won't care! What is not to love about a game where you run around the screen throwing different types of food at fat little chefs?

Pacman Collection - Another great homebrew release, in fact probably the best after market release for the system. This cartridge has multiple versions of both Pacman and Ms. Pacman, adding loads of options too so you can configure each game pretty much anyway you like. Also available in POKEY flavour too!

Galaga - Namco's sequel to the equally classic Galaxian has always been a big favourite of mine and remains one of the best old school shooters about. This 7800 version is bloody excellent with difficulty modes, loads of levels and absolutely no flicker or slowdown (unlike the NES version).

Klax - In the early 90's Atari's classic puzzler Klax was converted to just about every system from the Gameboy to the Amstrad GX4000! Wierdly this 7800 version was actually never released but has thankfully been made available many years later. Without doubt the best puzzle game on the machine.

Mean 18 Golf - Sports games are not this systems strong point so you will be surprised when you see just how good this golf game is. Very similar in many ways to the classic Leaderboard series it has 18 holes of realistic golf with all the hazards and a surprisingly fast screen update. Even better in 2-player mode.

Desert Falcon - This Zaxxon clone is a real showcase game for the system that features some really stunning graphics, the massive sphinx will blow you away. It also has a very unique power-up system, a rather nice soundtrack and the Egyptian theme suits the game really well indeed.

Offline dot.fyre

• View Profile
Re: Atari 7800 Must Have Games
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 13:31:11 PM »
It does have some great games.
Unfortunately, I don't have any homebrew stuff so my top 10 is more conventional.

Centipede
Galaga
Food Fight
Dig Dug
Donkey Kong
Commando
Donkey Kong Jnr
Joust Mario Bros.
Ms Pacman
Xevious

It's just like having an arcade machine in your home! :)

Well, it used to be.............................

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 13:40:31 PM »
isn't the 7800 an A8 machine in a console form, I have I think a 5200 up in my attic , must get it down, I think I have about 12 games for it..but without boxes..would these count here?

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 15:43:14 PM »
Quote from: "Greyfox"
isn't the 7800 an A8 machine in a console form, I have I think a 5200 up in my attic , must get it down, I think I have about 12 games for it..but without boxes..would these count here?

No thats the 5200. The 7800 is backwards compatible with the 2600 and has the super powerful Maria graphics chip. See the reviews section here.

Online TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:09:42 AM »
That is a nice list, Laird.  Unfortunately, Klax is the only one I have not been able to play on the 7800.  It refuses to work on my 7800. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 22:29:35 PM »
PAL owners get an absolutely cracking game built into the console and one of the best in its library. Asteroids is one of my top 5 games ever - its non linear and rewards practice with a very satisfying experience.

My top games for 7800 are :

Asteroids. I honestly believe its the best home port you can get - and it has 2 player simultaneous versus and co-op modes - what's not to like?
Food Fight. I may be wrong but this is probably a 7800 exclusive? I don't recall seeing it anywhere else except for the arcade and this is a great port.
Centipede - another cracking port which similar features that Asteroids has re multi-player
Joust - wonderful game and this is a spot on port - again multi-player - only this time the gameplay swings from co-op to versus from minute to minute - genius. A criminally underused genre.
Pacman Collection - definitive - every version you could wish for.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 23:24:37 PM »
Quote from: "davyK"

PAL owners get an absolutely cracking game built into the console and one of the best in its library. Asteroids is one of my top 5 games ever - its non linear and rewards practice with a very satisfying experience.

My top games for 7800 are :

Asteroids. I honestly believe its the best home port you can get - and it has 2 player simultaneous versus and co-op modes - what's not to like?
Food Fight. I may be wrong but this is probably a 7800 exclusive? I don't recall seeing it anywhere else except for the arcade and this is a great port.
Centipede - another cracking port which similar features that Asteroids has re multi-player
Joust - wonderful game and this is a spot on port - again multi-player - only this time the gameplay swings from co-op to versus from minute to minute - genius. A criminally underused genre.
Pacman Collection - definitive - every version you could wish for.

There is an Atari XE version of Food Fight too, I have reviewed it on here actually. It is very similar to the 7800 version but has slightly worse visuals that are compensated by slightly better sound.