Games For Halloween!

Started by TL, October 29, 2012, 14:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Minerals"Venture on the 2600 always used to scare the shit out of me for some unknown reason!

I can see that. When the monster you couldn't kill started chasing you it got pretty tense!

TrekMD

Halloween is a little over a month away and, of course, all the stores are full of Halloween stuff already.  So, what games are you going to get ready to play for Halloween?  I know one that is coming to the 2600 that would be very appropriate for a release on or before Halloween:  Project Z!  What's more appropriate than shooting zombies on Halloween?  ;)

[align=center:2ohs99oc]Project Z 2600 Teaser[/align:2ohs99oc]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Bobinator

I figure I'm going to boot this up. I've had an off and on relationship with this game ever since I was little, even if I could never beat the first 'episode'. (That's what's basically the 'demo' for these old shareware games.)

Monster Bash · PC MS-DOS Platform Game

Now here's a game. Huge sprites! Great music and digitized sound effects! Surprising amounts of gore! ...Rather frustrating level design.

...Oh, Monster Bash, I forgive you. This time.

TrekMD

Minerals

Perhaps an obvious one, but a good'en from back in the days when Namco made something other than Tekken and Ridge Racer.

Splatter House arcade 1/2

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "Mire Mare"Chiller on the c64.  Loosely, well all right, completely based on Michael Jackson's Thriller.  Fun, challenging and playable.  For a short time anyway.

Good call. I had that game on my Speccy all those years ago. As you say, fun for a short time at least.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Shadowrunner

[align=center:hmnfqa6n]Bram Stoker's Dracula Sega CD Gameplay[/align:hmnfqa6n]

I bought a a Sega CD (again) a while ago and spent a couple hours playing it today.
This was one of the games I played and perfect for Halloween. As far as games based on movies go it's not bad. It looks good and has great atmospheric music, really hard though!

TrekMD

Oh that is most certainly an appropriate game for Halloween!  :)  By the way, fixed your link so the video is embedded.  Mobile links don't work. 

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "TrekMD"Oh that is most certainly an appropriate game for Halloween!  :)

TrekMD

There are two Intellivision games that are appropriate for Halloween. 

[align=center:350ewyu7]Dracula
DRACULA - 01

Scooby Doo's Maze Chase
Scooby Doo's Maze Chase Intellivision ECS (Retro) Gameplay[/align:350ewyu7]

guest4826

Quote from: "Minerals"Perhaps an obvious one, but a good'en from back in the days when Namco made something other than Tekken and Ridge Racer.

Splatter House arcade 1/2

This is one of my all time favorites and I feel blessed to still have the game, to be honest as it's getting harder and harder to find these days.

For me on this though, two 3DO goodies, one being Escape from Monster Manor and also Killing Time. Both are FPS games and are spooky in their own way. Also, just to throw it in there, Alien Trilogy for the Playstation and Saturn can get you pumping too. Claustrophobic and spooky! Oh, and where's the love for Alone in the Dark?

davyk

Typing of the Dead - no competition.

TL

This was a real favourite of mine when I was a nipper:

Friday The 13th (ZX Spectrum)

TrekMD

The title screen looks very nice with a good try for a real scream too. :)  Certainly appropriate for Halloween!

davyk

I just mentioned Typing of the Dead above but I really have to expand on it. That game is typical Sega genius - no other dev house would have the way out thinking that produced that game.

It shouldn't work of course - but it does. To the uninitiated - it is a remake of House of the Dead 2 except instead of using a light gun to shoot zombies you use the keyboard to type words - a word or phrase is displayed beside each enemy and you have to type each out to kill off each enemy - take too long and you get hit by the enemy - just like in the original HOTD2.

The word list is inspired - ripe for double entrendre and is a hoot when playing in a group. The 2 player versus mode is not just a tacked on thing - but instead is really well designed - players race to complete words - finish a word first and your opponent scores nothing and you get the credit for it and score - such a simple mechanic makes it a highly competitive game and it is really well designed. Often there are multiple words on screen so you can play aggressively - trying to out type your opponent directly - or you can try and guess which word he/she won't go for and get that one instead - picking up easy points. It's a great mix of a small bit of luck and pure typing skills.

I have the Dreamcast version but it came out for PC as well and there was an arcade cabinet which boggles the mind, It didn't get a DC PAL release sadly but the US version is easy to import and works with the usual boot discs. The DC keyboards are easy to find too -  really worth tracking down.