Let's Compare: Crystal Castles

Started by TL, October 19, 2012, 17:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

After just watching the new video of Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest I thought it would be nice to look at his very first video game outing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62eGPdGa ... re=related

TrekMD

I can't believe that I forgot to add this video!  I have always really liked this game and I was quite impressed with what Atari accomplished on the 2600! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

The ST version is really nice but the main sprite looks nothing like Bentley!  :-

Rogue Trooper

This takes me back a good few years.Not seen since i had on the 2600, used to love it, though at that age had no idea it was an arcade conversion.

CPC versions sound FX are awful!.Sounds like somethings interfering with TV channel.

TL

I played the Nintendo DS version yesterday, really good. I loved the way you can use the joypad or turn the touch screen into a virtual trackball. The Atari 2600 version of the game is on the same compilation too.  8)

Rogue Trooper

ACE Budget review gave the CPC,C64+Speccy versions a full '5 pints' (Tennants Extra' ) review score.

:-)

onthinice

The Classics just seem to hold up no matter how much time goes by 8)

Rogue Trooper

Zzap gave the C64 budget/Kixx re-release Overall 65% 'simple, uncomplicated fun, which is well worth buying on budget', so i thought score was tad harsh.

TL

I just came across this so thought it was well worth posting, a Crystal Castles clone for the Dragon 32:

[align=center:2gh84nbg]Ice Castles on Dragon 32[/align:2gh84nbg]

TrekMD

That does look like a rather impressive version for the system!

dra600n

Man, I used to play the crap out of this game back when I was 3 or 4 years old. I think I had an attraction to it because of the whole bear thing. Ya know, being a kid + teddy bears just kind of goes hand in hand :P

I remember it being a really fun game. I should probably pick this up one of these days

TrekMD

You were 3 or 4 when you played Crystal Castles?  I feel ancient.  LOL 

dra600n

Quote from: "TrekMD"You were 3 or 4 when you played Crystal Castles?  I feel ancient.  LOL

Haha yup! I remember going to the dollar store and seeing it in the bin for $1, so I asked my mom for it and she got it for me (as well as Pitfall, Pac Man, and ET). This would've been late 1985 to 1986, though it could've been a little earlier, but as that was around 27 years ago, I could be off a little bit on the date range :)

TrekMD

Quote from: "dra600n"
Quote from: "TrekMD"You were 3 or 4 when you played Crystal Castles?  I feel ancient.  LOL

Haha yup! I remember going to the dollar store and seeing it in the bin for $1, so I asked my mom for it and she got it for me (as well as Pitfall, Pac Man, and ET). This would've been late 1985 to 1986, though it could've been a little earlier, but as that was around 27 years ago, I could be off a little bit on the date range :21:

TL

I added a review for the ST version today  :16: