Attack Of The Clones: Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by TL, October 10, 2012, 22:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

[align=center:1g7b0bfx][size=140]Sonic might have been a Sega game but it didn't stop dodgy pirates ripping the game off and making their own versions for other machines.

So let's take a look at the best (or should that be worst) ones out there:[/size]

Pirated Game Oddities: Sonic 3D Blast 5 (NES)
Sonic 3D Blast 5 (NES)

Pirated Game Oddities: Sonic 3D Blast 5 (Game Boy)
Sonic 3D Blast 5 (Gameboy)

Sonic The Hedgehog NES Playthrough Part 1 - The Horror Begins
Sonic The Hedgehog (NES)

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (SNES) - Longplay
Sonic The Hedgehog (SNES)[/align:1g7b0bfx]

Shadowrunner

I was wondering where you got the NES and SNES versions for the battle of the bands.
Now I know.

TL

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"I was wondering where you got the NES and SNES versions for the battle of the bands.
Now I know.

Yeah doing that thread inspired this one as a spin-off!

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Bobinator

Funny thing about the SNES Sonic: It's not an original game, it's actually a hack of the Speedy Gonzales game on the SNES. The original isn't really a bad game, for a Sonic clone. A lot better than what we got out of it, anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRPuG5x2xFQ

...Unless everybody already knows that, in which case I'll shut up now.

Bobinator

Has to be the Genesis version for me, too. I'm pretty sure that the SNES version, by the way, is just some guy on Youtube uploading a recording of what he think it would sound like on a Genesis.

As for the Game Boy Advance version of Sonic 1, never, ever play it. It's an absolutely horrendous port for so many reasons. And what's really sad is that one bedroom coder not only went out and made a perfect port (it only includes Green Hill, but still), but added Tails and Knuckles, too.

TL

TrekMD

Boy, this must be one of the most cloned franchises!

dougtitchmarsh

Amiga version (at least what's shown in the video) looks half way decent. I've played the SNES version and it isn't great.
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

Rogue Trooper

Slight off topic moment, but i'm gonna run with it (then duck and cover...)

Anyone recal when US GOLD annouced they had conversion rights for MD Sonic for ST/Amiga etc?.What ever happened with that-Auctual deal or just all talk?.

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Slight off topic moment, but i'm gonna run with it (then duck and cover...)

Anyone recal when US GOLD annouced they had conversion rights for MD Sonic for ST/Amiga etc?.What ever happened with that-Auctual deal or just all talk?.

Yeah I remember that being announced too!

No idea what happened there.

Rogue Trooper

Glad someone else remembers it.1 moment it was a big fanfare annoucement, then, as quickly as news was annouced it just dissapeared.Gulp.

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Glad someone else remembers it.1 moment it was a big fanfare annoucement, then, as quickly as news was annouced it just dissapeared.Gulp.

US Gold probably would have got Tiertex to do it anyway and so it would have been horrendous.

Bobinator

It's interesting they were so interested in getting Sonic on home computers for that long, though, even back when the first game came out. To be honest, the first time I ever played a Sonic game was on the PC ports they did in the mid-90's.

Also, fun fact: Tiertex actually tried to make a Sonic game once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J3H4tzbdWU

It wasn't very good.

TrekMD

I can't believe I hadn't posted this on this thread.  What better clone of Sonic The Hedgehog than this 2600 game in development, Zippy The Porcupine...

[align=center:3hby0eqg]Zippy the Porcupine (Sonic the Hedgehog) Atari 2600 4 Level Demo[/align:3hby0eqg]