Moments Of Pure Amazement . . . .

Started by TL, October 09, 2012, 16:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Speaking of arcade games another one for me would be the first time I saw Virtua Fighter. The animation blew me away! Couldn't believe it was a video game.

Rogue Trooper

Dune (MCD) superb, metallic looking FMV rather than the grainy dross i'd grown used to on the format.

TL

One from the later days of the ST, Robocop 3 was a seriously impressive game for the ageing computer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opr93tF2nkk

Cryptic33

For me it was the first time I played Lucasfilm's Rescue on Fractalus on my 800XL. I knew what was coming but still jumped a little when the alien pops up in front of the ship's view screen and thumps the glass.

Also, and perhaps a little obvious, A v P on the Jaguar. Late at night in a darkened and quiet room. Nearly shit myself when the Aliens come at you. I stopped playing that game so late in the evening because I was having nightmares lol
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

guest5156

What always sticks in my mind was the first time i came across the T-Rex in Tomb Raider.....damn near wet myself!
Also the sense of scale like standing at the top of the head of the sphinx and looking down.... or swan diving off the top of the waterfall ...or standing at the top of St Francis's folly and looking down, thinking 'no way i can get down there'....or standing on the hand of the statue of King Midas and turning to gold....

So Tomb Raider then. :4:

TrekMD

I have to admit that the first time I played Namco Museum on my PSP I was totally amazed by it.  The "Arrangements" were just great updates to the classics that managed to keep the original formula for the games while bringing something fresh to them.  Never mind the fact that you have the original arcade versions included as well.

[align=center:3pdz20tw][PSP Gameplay] Namco Museum Battle Collection[/align:3pdz20tw]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

guest5137

I remember the first time I ever played a Sonic game.  Dad bought us a Master System II for Christmas and Sonic 2 was one of the games that came with it.  Couldn't put the controller down, great times.

zapiy

Quote from: "2grundies"What always sticks in my mind was the first time i came across the T-Rex in Tomb Raider.....damn near wet myself!
Also the sense of scale like standing at the top of the head of the sphinx and looking down.... or swan diving off the top of the waterfall ...or standing at the top of St Francis's folly and looking down, thinking 'no way i can get down there'....or standing on the hand of the statue of King Midas and turning to gold....

Yeah i do see where your coming from on that one pal.

Quote from: "thatguyad"I remember the first time I ever played a Sonic game.  Dad bought us a Master System II for Christmas and Sonic 2 was one of the games that came with it.  Couldn't put the controller down, great times.

Wish we could have those good times back..(sometimes lol)

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

guest5156

Quote from: "zapiy"
Quote from: "2grundies"What always sticks in my mind was the first time i came across the T-Rex in Tomb Raider.....damn near wet myself!

Yeah i do see where your coming from on that one pal.

It was just astonishing to me that a game like that could run on a PS1. It also helps that the subject matter and (ahem) the female lead were of huge interest. TBH, my Lara fetish remains largely undiminished. I have lots of TR games but the first one will always remain my favourite.

dubchaser

Sticking Tempest 2000 into my Atari Jaguar not knowing what to expect (I'd never played the original Tempest), and hearing that music. I couldn't believe it was coming out of a cartridge game. My ears were hearing a CD when my eyes where seeing  cart. Unbelievable. And then there was the game. Just amazing.  :77:

TrekMD

Quote from: "dubchaser"Sticking Tempest 2000 into my Atari Jaguar not knowing what to expect (I'd never played the original Tempest), and hearing that music. I couldn't believe it was coming out of a cartridge game. My ears were hearing a CD when my eyes where seeing  cart. Unbelievable. And then there was the game. Just amazing.  ;)

TL

The first time I saw a demo of this game running on an Atari XEGS at Jagfest UK in 2005 it just made my jaw drop to the floor and still does to this day. I still can't believe that a 1979 8-bit computer is pulling this off, truly stunning!

[align=center:ciw884n6]Space Harrier - port para Atari XL/XE - compilación de niveles 1 al 7[/align:ciw884n6]

TrekMD

You know, S.T.U.N. Runner on the Lynx was just pure amazement when I first saw it.  I had see the game in the arcade but had never played it.  Seeing it on the Lynx was just something else.  You'll have to excuse the sound on the video, though, as that's an issue with emulation.

[align=center:c14lngw0]S.T.U.N. Runner (Atari Lynx)[/align:c14lngw0]

TL

Totally agree, that is why I mentioned it on the first page :3:

Still THE most impressive game I have ever seen on any platform.

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"Totally agree, that is why I mentioned it on the first page :21: