Let's compare Marble Madness

Started by TrekMD, October 07, 2012, 02:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

There area actually 2 versions of this game for the Mega Drive / Genesis - one by Electronic Arts, which is the one I have, and another by Tengen. Atari's own version only came out in Japan and is supposedly much better than the EA one!

TrekMD

And there is an unfinished prototype for the Lynx as well.

dougtitchmarsh

Pretty interesting find TrekMD, I found that some of the ones I thought would be poor were actually quite good, and the ones I thought should be good were bad. Some were exactly as I'd expected though, but it was interesting to see how they all compared like that.  8)
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"And there is an unfinished prototype for the Lynx as well.

Same with the Jaguar

TrekMD

Is there a ROM for the Jaguar?  I know there is one for the Lynx as I have a cart of it.  :)

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Is there a ROM for the Jaguar?  I know there is one for the Lynx as I have a cart of it.  :)

Yes, and it plays from CD - I even did a cover for it!

I can email you the file if you want?

TrekMD

Oh, that would be awesome Laird!  Thanks!

tomwaits

Never heard of the Jaguar version before... Does it have populated levels, or just rolling the marble through the courses? Is this a work in progress or an old abandoned homebrew project?

EDIT: Looks like this is the 'Jagmarble' demo that Matthias wrote in 1999?

TL

Quote from: "tomwaits"Never heard of the Jaguar version before... Does it have populated levels, or just rolling the marble through the courses? Is this a work in progress or an old abandoned homebrew project?

It's a very unfinished hombrew by Matthias Domin, there are just 2 levels and no enemies. Hopefully he will go back to it at some point as it would make a great game to own on the Jag.

There is a review of it by me on the Jaguar CD reviews guide here and I posted the DVD cover to download here too. Just shows how much attention you all pay to my reviews and posts :P

tomwaits

Quote from: "The Laird"There is a review of it by me on the Jaguar CD reviews guide here and I posted the DVD cover to download here too. Just shows how much attention you all pay to my reviews and posts :D If it's just a marble rolling through two empty levels I won't bother with it.

TL

Here is a video of Marble Madness II: Marble Man and unreleased arcade sequel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cMKeOG2EBY

Rogue Trooper

Gamezone review of the GB version saw it getting 67%

Zzap 64 review of the C64 version saw it get 40%

with Presentation 395-Lacked gloss, more time spent loading than playing.

Graphics 70%
Sound 39%
Hookability 76%
Lastability 38%
Value 33%

Rogue Trooper

C+VG review of NES version (Tim Boone+Paul Rand reviewing):

Graphics 81%
Sound 70%
Playability 88%
Lastability 84%
Overall 85%