Atari 7800 eXpansion Module (XM)

Started by TrekMD, October 05, 2012, 22:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Great news! I was worried with all the drama surrounding this that he would only produce enough for the pre-orders and be done with it. Very cool there will be more available to buy, definitely grabbing one :113:

TrekMD

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"Great news! I was worried with all the drama surrounding this that he would only produce enough for the pre-orders and be done with it. Very cool there will be more available to buy, definitely grabbing one :113:

Yep, that's great news.  It was originally planned that way so it is good to see it will be happening just as planned.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TrekMD

Here is the latest update:

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give everyone an update.

1.  The source for the SIO connectors can no longer provide them.  I put out a request for help on Facebook and have some avenue's I'm looking at.   Need to buy them at no more than $1 each, so that makes it a bit tough, but I'm working on things.

2. Mark has been extremely busy and hasn't had a chance to review over things with me recently.   Work and paying the bills can sometimes get in the way of our hobby.  So I'm sitting tight waiting for him to free up some time.

3.  We had a discussion a while ago about perhaps including a built in game into the XM so that when no cartridge is present, instead of just the test/configuration program coming up from the XM, we'd perhaps have a selection to play a built in game that would use many of the XM features.    If anyone is interested in submitting a built in game, please email me mailto:7800xm@gmail.com">7800xm@gmail.com and let's discuss.

Thanks,

Curt

TrekMD

An updated has been posted today by Curt:

"Two XM modules have arrived at Albert of Atariage's home for the upcoming show.

I'd also like to welcome Perry Thuente to the XM Team, he will be assisting with the completion of the XM BIOS. I am extremely happy to have such an amazingly talented coder such as him join the team and volunteer his skills in making the XM the best product possible."

Papa

This project has had a LOT of ups and downs.  I wonder if 7800 BASIC will allow for use of the extra chips in the expansion!?
And all the Who's down in Whoville will cry
"OH $#IT!"

TrekMD

Sadly, that is true.  Le'ts just hope it finally get the push it needs to see release.  I think Perry is a great addition to the team.  :)

TrekMD

Here is an update posted today by Curt...

Update -

Team is back together and back to work.

Rev 3.5.1 board released to team late last night.

84 Pin CPLD code completed

BIOS being completed.

New XM "Killer app" games in the work.

Gerber files going to manufacturing for latest test run.

All features have been retained, nothing removed or excluded.

Curt

zapiy

Awesome news for the community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Shadowrunner

Nice to see it's still being worked on.

TrekMD

Indeed!  Can't wait to get mine!  :)

TrekMD

It's been a while but a new update has been posted by Curt today.  He, unfortunately, needed to have more cardiac surgery.  Thankfully, he is doing well...

QuoteHi,

Just wanted to come on and say hi to everyone.   I escaped the jaws of death again, 7th times a charm, right?   If I have 9 lives, I'm running out.    I am doing very well after yet another heart surgery.   People keep asking me why I keep having all of these operations... the answer is simple:  I love that hospital food :-)

Well, I've spoken with the XM team, been exchanging files, schematics and board design updates.   Trying to get myself back up to speed and making sure we are all working off the same revision of hardware and the latest BIOS done.

So looks like everything is back in sync and looking good, I'm running off 4 sample boards tomorrow, should have them by next week.  Then I will be placing all of the sockets on the test boards, then adding components one by one, checking things and building them out.   I have boards going out to 3 specific people for testing and review and once thats done I need to send another to Mitch so he can test on every version 7800 type that exists to see about any compatibility issues, hopefully there wont be any.

Will be about a month to give everyone a chance to fully test out.  Some people may post messages on their findings of post videos, that's up to them and I encourage it.   I'm just happy to be back to work on things and it feels good to be getting these test boards built out to send to people.

Curt

TrekMD

Looks like Curt posted an update today and these will be starting to ship! 

Shadowrunner

Great news. Nice to see it's finally done!

TrekMD

Well, it seems that these may be test units but it is still progress in the right direction.

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC