Atari 7800 eXpansion Module (XM)

Started by TrekMD, October 05, 2012, 22:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

So, I have mentioned the XM several times and Shadowrunner was asking what it is. I thought it would be a good idea to start a separate thread for it, so here it is. Full details and progress about the project can be found here. Essentially it is a module that is attached to the cartridge port of any 7800 console and which includes a POKEY chip, a Yamaha chip, additional RAM, and ports for a keyboard. This allows for enhanced games to be made for the system. The specs are based on the original module Atari intended to release for the system. If you are wondering why this is being done it is because certain 7800 games had additional hardware in the carts (extra RAM or a POKEY chip, for example) which added to the cost of the games. By having this module, the need for having carts with additional hardware is negated as all the extra hardware is in the eXpansion Module itself. Game developers just need to access it through the XM to make exhanced games. Several games are in development already and I started a thread about Donkey Kong POKEY as an example.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Wow, very impressive and professional looking.
Thanks for the info Trek.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"Wow, very impressive and professional looking.
Thanks for the info Trek.

Absolutely!  It was overdue having something posted about it here.  :)

zapiy

This is fantastic to see. So much development out there for the retro scene.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

Once I have the money I will be getting one of these!  8)

onthinice

Good to see this is getting closer to completion.

TL

[align=center:30foctak]Here is a look at a few of the XM games being developed:

Apple Snaffle

Dungeon

Frenzy

Fruitarian

Outpost 23

Halloween

Pokey Kong[/align:30foctak]

Alberto 2K

Some of those pics are very nice!

Halloween looks like an Atic Atac kind of game, I loved it when I was a kid.

I thought the XM was already finished and released.. The wait must be hard seeing promising games like these!
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

TrekMD

Not released yet.  I'm hoping it is out before X-mas!

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Not released yet.  I'm hoping it is out before X-mas!

Should that not be XM-as  ;D

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "TrekMD"Not released yet.  I'm hoping it is out before X-mas!

Should that not be XM-as  ;D

LOL  No, that will make X-mas into XM-as if it does make it by then! 

Alberto 2K

At least there is a bunch of games in development that looks nice, I think the XM is going to be a great upgrade for the 7800.
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

TrekMD

An updated was posted yesterday regarding the XM:

NOV 29th - Design is locked down.   No further changes, or modifications whatsoever.   With the holidays coming, I will begin to order in the new boards.   Mark and I will implement the firmware and after the New Year I will prepare the workshop for assembly, and begin to build out the XM's to begin shipping January 30th.  So this is it, no more changes, no more attempts at further compatibility with any further games, the design is locked down and now its time to get past the holiday madness and focus on preparing to build XM's.   I should be able to do 5-6 daily and get them out to first ordered first and go through the list.  I will email people in batches to verify addresses, if I don't get a reply back, they get bumped to the next batch and if I still don't hear I'll keep bumping them until I'm at the end of the list and if I have to start making phone calls or posting on Atariage asking if anyone has heard from such and such a person, I will but I'm not holding anything up any further, time to move forward, everyone has waited long enough and too much time has been invested into this project.

So, now we have a shipping date!  Looking forward to it!

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Quote from: "zapiy"Are you getting one fella?

Sure thing!  I'm hoping to be in that first batch that ships in January!  :)