Atari 7800 Donkey Kong XM

Started by TrekMD, October 05, 2012, 21:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

One of the homebrew guys (TEP392) over in AA is working on a hack of Donkey Kong for the Atari 7800 that will, hopefully, see release for the XM unit.  Sound has already been added to the game but he is making other additions.  Most notably this one:

[align=center:2dv9tggm][/align:2dv9tggm]

Some of his other additions:
- 'How High Can You Get' screen
- Alternating music after rescuing Pauline
- Kong climbing ladder at the end of girder and elevator levels
- Intro with Kong climbing ladder and hopping across top

Once he is done, this will be become another top notch version of DK for a retro console.  :)  Looking forward to the final product!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

What exactly is this XM unit I keep hearing about?
Enlighten me Trek. :)

TL

This looks and sounds awesome!!!!!  8)

The XM is the 7800 eXpansion Module, it plugs into the catridge slot on the 7800 and gives it better sound, more ram and has high score cartridge support built in. It will also allow to attach a keyboard to the 7800 for more advanced features.

This has been made to match the specifications of the one Atari planned to release for the 7800 back in the day that was scrapped due to the take over of Atari by the Tramiels.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"What exactly is this XM unit I keep hearing about?
Enlighten me Trek. :)

I will.  I'll create a separate thread about it.  But the short version, it is an expansion unit that is being developed that includes POKEY, Yamaha sound, extra memory, etc.  These are things that some carts had added (for example, Commando) to enhance system capabilities and provide better games.  The XM allows that by eliminating the need for additional hardware in carts. 

onthinice

TrekMD

There has been an update to this game that has made further improvements to the graphics, specifically, the scores, the timer, lives left, and Pauline's location.  Take a look...

[align=center:1n9dcud8]

[/align:1n9dcud8]

TL

DZ-Jay

TL

Quote from: "DZ-Jay"What's a POKEY?

(Looks fantastic)

The sound chip that is used in the Atari 8-bit computers, 5200 and in some 7800 games. It will also be in the new 7800 Expansion Module.

DZ-Jay

onthinice

TrekMD

Progress on this port has continued moving along and the game is as close to the arcade as it can be.  Here is an update that Tep posted today in Atari Age:

I've made some nice updates to the game which I hope to upload later today.
- The smashed object graphic is correctly animated and multicolored.
- The elevator bouncer uses correct colors.
- Added "help!" graphic to Paulines animation.
- Hammer duration matches arcade and color changes at 50% time left.
- Fixed bug so Pauline is erased when DK grabs here.
- Adjusted bouncer position and collision boundry.  Might be a little too forgiving now. I'll look for feedback.

onthinice

TrekMD

The final version of DK XM demo file has been posted.  For those who want to give it a try using emulation, I'm attaching the file.

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"The final version of DK XM demo file has been posted.  For those who want to give it a try using emulation, I'm attaching the file.

Nice one Trek thanks!  :113: