Let's Compare - Joust

Started by TL, September 26, 2012, 23:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Joust is an arcade game developed by Williams Electronics and released in 1982. It popularized the concept of two-player cooperative gameplay by being more successful at it than its predecessors. The player uses a button and joystick to control a knight riding a flying ostrich. The objective is to progress through levels by defeating waves of enemy knights riding buzzards.

John Newcomer led the development team, which included Bill Pfutzenreuter, Janice Woldenberg-Miller (former surname: Hendricks), Python Anghelo, Tim Murphy, and John Kotlarik. Newcomer aimed to create a flying game with cooperative two-player gameplay, while avoiding the popular space theme.

The game was well received in arcades and by critics, who praised the gameplay, the mechanics of which influenced other developers. Joust was followed by a sequel four years later, and was ported to numerous home and portable platforms.

Source:  Wikipedia

TrekMD

I didn't realize there were so many ports of this game!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"I didn't realize there were so many ports of this game!

I have often thought this must be one of the most converted games ever. If the Jag version had come out it would have had a port on every single Atari system.

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "TrekMD"I didn't realize there were so many ports of this game!

I have often thought this must be one of the most converted games ever. If the Jag version had come out it would have had a port on every single Atari system.

That would have been cool!  There was also work being done on a Vectrex version but I think it has been stopped.

onthinice

ZX Spectrum (Winged Warlords) looks like a good variation game.

TL

Here is that famous 11 second clip of Dactyl Joust (previously known as Joust 2000) on the Jaguar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG904E964Ts

TrekMD

TL

Another very impressive Joust clone is Buzzard Bait for the Dragon 32 and Tandy CoCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7vLnXfEuQo

DZ-Jay

I think the last ones in the video were not "ports" but the original ROM running in emulation.  That's what the "William's Greatest Hits" is.

davyk

yeah - I had forgot about the 16bit emu packs - I have the snes version and the real thing doesn't have the sound issues that are present in the video here.

The 7800 version is a very good effort.

I also have the Williams pack for Saturn and Dreamcast for some reason!!

DZ-Jay

Quote from: "davyK"yeah - I had forgot about the 16bit emu packs - I have the snes version and the real thing doesn't have the sound issues that are present in the video here.

The 7800 version is a very good effort.

I also have the Williams pack for Saturn and Dreamcast for some reason!!

I was most impressed by the 7800 and GameBoy Color ones.

dZ.

Rogue Trooper

GBC Joust (along with defender as they are both part of the arcade Hits release), scored 4/5 in Arcade, Robin Alway describing Joust as '...a work of absolute genius'.

TrekMD

Updated the video in the first post with a new edit. The original video had been removed from YouTube.

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Updated the video in the first post with a new edit. The original video had been removed from YouTube.

That's weird  :o

TrekMD

I think once they update the videos, they remove the old ones.  Or, at least, that appears to be the case with this video.