Sega Megadrive Must Have Games

Started by TL, February 09, 2012, 21:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

It's pretty hard to choose on a format with such a vast library but here we go anyway, these are my top 25 games (in no order) for the Megadrive. You might notice the lack of platformers because I hate them  ;)

Streets Of Rage 2 - This game is in the right place, for me SOR2 is the finest video game ever made. It really does have no faults at all. It looks amazing, sounds even better and plays like a dream. Beat 'em up perfection that is made even more perfect by the addition of a second player.

Ultimate Qix - Also known as Volfied in Japan this is a great sequel to Taito's classic arcade game Qix. The object is still the same, to try and gain a set percentage of the screen by drawing lines. But the Qix is now a proper enemy, the graphics are great and there are added power-ups too!

Vapor Trail - A conversion of a little known arcade game by Data East this game is very similar in many ways to the classic Raiden. For me this is the best vertically scrolling shoot 'em up on the Megadrive and features one of my favourite game soundtracks on the system too.

Speedball 2 - Brilliant on the Amiga and ST this game is every bit as good on the MD. This is futuristic sports action at its finest as you take out enemy players, collect money, sign genetic freaks and collect all the power-ups. If you like sports games then Speedball 2 is a must have.

Robocop Vs. Terminator - If there is an award for most violent game on the system then this game takes first place. You are Robocop as you walk around the many varied levels blowing the living crap out of everything in site. Pure mindless violence at its finest!

Mercs - Way ahead of Streetfighter 2 as Capcom's finest moment on the machine for me, Mercs, is a wonderful sequel to the classic Commando. What makes this MD version even more spanky is that as well as the arcade game you get a brand new exclusive MD mode!!!

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - For me this game is well ahead of Columns as the MD's best puzzle games. It was known as Puyo Puyo in Japan but was brilliantly re-done with a Sonic theme for the western market and is an incredibly addictive affair only made better by the addition of a friend!

Outrun - While the MD version might not be the best one out there this game is still Outrun! For me the finest driving game ever made with the most iconic video game soundtrack ever produced. The MD version crams in everything needed to make this a very faithful conversion.

Golden Axe - Another truely great scrolling beat 'em up on a machine that has more than it's fair share the MD version of Golden Axe goes one better than its arcade daddy by adding an extra level to the action. One of the first games to show what the machine could do its every bit as great to this very day.

Revenge Of Shinobi - No MD list would be complete without this game, it's highly rated for a reason! This wonderful action game is certainly not easy but it has a great lerning curve and you will want to get further just to see more of its beautiful graphics and hear more of its brilliant music.

Gynoug - There are so many horizontal shoot 'em ups for the MD but this game is one of the very best. Using a fantasy theme it has you flying through various worlds as a winged warrior shooting down all sorts of mythical beasts and monsters. Some of the graphical effects in this game are also very impressive too.

Side Pocket - I have lost count of the number of hours me and my brother have spent playing this game over the years. Pool games are not the easiest to find on consoles, especially ones that look and sound this great with its wonderfully cheesy take on the classic film The Color Of Money.

Dragon's Fury - I am a real sucker for pinball games and this fantasy take on the genre is simply incredible. The best game in a series that started life on the PC Engine, Dragon's Fury, features super realistic ball movement, amazing visuals, great sound and some brilliant sub-games.

Sensible Soccer - While I have to say the Mega CD version of this game is better this is still the best football game on every machine it has appeared on and the MD is no exception. You won't see any fancy graphics or sound here but you will experience some of the best gameplay known to man.

Mega Bomberman - There is no doubting that the Bomberman games are the best multi-player party games ever made but what I especially like about this "mega" version is that it also adds a really good 1-player mode that you can get your teeth into!

Virtua Racing - By adding a special chip called the SVP Sega managed to pull off this highly unlikely conversion to the Megadrive. The 3D graphics are really impressive and you won't quite a believe the system is pulling it off. Fans of the arcade game will really lap this great racer up.

Pit-Fighter - This game seems to get a lot of unfair hate but for me its one of my favourite games ever made. A conversion of the Atari arcade game its a fighter that uses digitised graphics and sound to portray the action and follows the classic film Kickboxer very closely indeed in its style.

Road Rash II - Electronic Arts greatest moment it's a shame they can't make games like this anymore instead of the endless shitty versions of FIFA they churn out. One or 2 players can jump on a bike and race down roads smacking the crap out of everyone else on the road including police!

Thunderforce II - This series is always talked about as the best shoot 'em up franchise ever but you never hear this game mentioned as its finest moment. Well for me it is as I think the top down view and multi-directional scrolling is brilliant and adds something really different to the genre.

Gauntlet IV – This series of games is brilliant on every format that it has appeared on and this MD version is, for me, the best of the lot. As well as featuring a traditional arcade style game for up to 4 players it also has a totally new quest mode to the equation that great in 1-player!

Gain Ground – One of the most under rated games for the system this is a big favourite among the hardcore fans and its easy to see why. Combining elements of adventure games, RPG's and strategy war games what you have here is a wonderfully original must have title for the 16-bit Sega.

Granada – It's a crying shame this brilliant shooter from Renovation never got a release in the UK because its an incredibly impressive. Featuring scaling and rotation effects this game really shows that the MD can match anything the SNES can put out.

Toe Jam & Earl – Possibly one of the most original games ever made this is without doubt one of the funniest. Good in one player this game is outstanding in two player as you and a friend go exploring crazy alien worlds in search of the parts for your missing spaceship.

Zero Tolerance – Nobody thought a FPS on the humble Megadrive would have been possible but this game proves everyone wrong! The game window might be small but it packs a big punch as you run around the levels blowing away the bad guys. It also features link-up play too!

Sonic The Hedgehog – It might not be the best game in the series but I feel like I can't finish this top 25 without mentioning the game that put the Megadrive on the map and made kids reject the fat immigrant plumber in favour of an ultra cool blue hedgehog!

dubchaser

I love Mega Drive.  It's got so many great titles.  I'm currently collecting the complete PAL library.  I'm up to exactly 50%.

Edit: deleted by mistake!

TL

Wow! Thats pretty incredible mate!  :o

I think I have around 200 games now but about 50 of them are imports. The MD is my favourite home console but because the library is so huge I tend to only buy games that I am interested in.

What are your personal favourites?

dubchaser

Quote from: "The Laird"Wow! Thats pretty incredible mate!  :o

I think I have around 200 games now but about 50 of them are imports. The MD is my favourite home console but because the library is so huge I tend to only buy games that I am interested in.

What are your personal favourites?
Thanks.  Some of my faves are:

Dragons Fury
Road Rash II
Toe Jam & Earl
Alisia Dragoon
Streets of Rage 2
Psycho Pinball
Desert Strike
Vectorman
Gods
Earthworm Jim
Ecco The Dolphin
Cool Spot

DEADDOLL666

You've picked some of my favorites.
I loved the christmas i got my megadrive when i was a kid.
Favorite games were

Streets of rage 1,2
Sonic 1,2
Shinobi
Road rash 1,2,3
speedball 2
toe jam and earl
toe jam and earl planet funkatron
earthworm jim
Desert strike
Golden axe
pit fighter
And many others
I spent ages playing populas when that was released on the MD

CeefaxOfDelphi

haven't counted them,but maybe got 50 titles for my MD.  Rocket Knight Adventure is by far my favourite game. Also very fond of the Disney games for MD - those hand drawn sprites were very pretty.  Quite like a bit of Zombies too.

dot.fyre

CeefaxOfDelphi

is that beast in Story of Thor animated!  never seen anything that big move on the MD before

TL

Quote from: "CeefaxOfDelphi"is that beast in Story of Thor animated!  never seen anything that big move on the MD before

Just the head and neck I believe.

Greyfox

The is a few , not mention here like Splatter house series, the ooze was a cracking little game, as was Predator 2, moonwalker , probotector, these are of my favs, along with what has been listed already above.

dot.fyre

Quote from: "CeefaxOfDelphi"is that beast in Story of Thor animated!  never seen anything that big move on the MD before

Never got that far!  :'(

CeefaxOfDelphi

i actually had a re-count and my collection is closer to 100 titles - though a fair few are tosh.

Chiki Chiki boys is a game I like - not to everyone's tastes.

Decap Attack also made me laugh - but haven't played that in years - need to remedy that

dcultrapro

I've got about 50 games on the MD and I'd have to say that, in no particular order, these are the 10 I'd recommend;

Phantasy Star IV
Spiderman and Venom: Maximum Carnage
Xmen 2 Clone Wars
Ranger X
Cool Spot
Cannon Fodder
Earthworm Jim
Chakan the Forever Man
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic And Knuckles

I absolutely adore Xmen 2 and Maximum Carnage, the vibrant colours, excellent platforming action and my favourite characters! Ranger X is pretty phenomenol, the graphics are great and the controls are brilliant. Cannon Fodder, Earthworm Jim and Cool Spot are just plain classics
Ultrapro on xbox live

Console Compulsive

So many great games to choose from so i'll just stick to ten of my absolute favorites.

Buck Rogers: Countdown to doomsday
Ghostbusters
Sword of Vermillion
Arrow Flash
Road Rash 3
Two Crude Dudes
Eswat
Spiderman
Strider
Herzog Zwei

dcultrapro

how the HELL do you play Herzog by the way? I have access to a copy and can't work it out for the life of me!!
Ultrapro on xbox live