Your biggest mistake?

Started by TL, September 17, 2012, 16:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

108 Stars

One day I walked a flea market (do you use that term in English? A street market for used stuff?) without any money. Didn't expect to find anything spectaular. Big, BIG mistake.

In a cardboard box, together with old VCRs and toasters there was lying a Sega SG-1000. A freakin' SG-1000, right here in Germany! The seller had no idea what it was, and it may have been defective since it didn't look like it had been taken care for much, but even then... for 5 Euros I could have gotten it. And even a broken SG-1000 is a nice item for a Sega fan, especially since it was never released here and is not easy to come by.

I'll still be telling my grandchildren of that dreadful day.
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

TL

Yes, we say flea market too  :)

Wow that is a real bummer! SG1000's are certainly pretty rare these days!

Bobinator

Buying a 3DO to play Way of the Warrior. I was a lot younger back then, to be fair. That, and it only cost me $40 over eBay.

To clarify, it's more playing Way of the Warrior I regret, not buying the 3DO. I kind of like the thing, honestly, and if I had the cash and the space, I'd probably buy another one.

nakamura

Selling my US SNES back in 2005 or so to buy car parts. The car is long gone now due to being a father and the SNES has cost me a fair bit to replace. I do think I have a mostly better collection than before though.

Anonymous

I parted with some perfectly good money for a barcode battler. What a complete and utter waste of cash.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

TL

I remember those dumb things.

My beans beat your can of coke  :-

Rogue Trooper

Buying a launch MCD for £270 when i was on low wages and having to wait ages for the games that really used the hardware to arrive (Batman Returns, Terminator S.E, Final Fight S.E, Thunderhawk etc).

Selling SOR 3 MD+Snatcher MCD for £5 each!.

Selling my Jaguar, along with signed copy of Tempest 2000.

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Selling SOR 3 MD+Snatcher MCD for £5 each!.

OUCH!!!!  :-X

TrekMD

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Buying a launch MCD for £270 when i was on low wages and having to wait ages for the games that really used the hardware to arrive (Batman Returns, Terminator S.E, Final Fight S.E, Thunderhawk etc).

Selling SOR 3 MD+Snatcher MCD for £5 each!.

Selling my Jaguar, along with signed copy of Tempest 2000.

Those were some really painful mistakes!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Rogue Trooper

The MCD? blame the hype.....Video preview (VHS tape) given away with Mean Machines had it sold to me.

Selling of SOR 3-hated it, big let down after SOR 2, as for Snatcher? never saw what the fuss was about, played it again recently and....nope, still don't 'get it'.

I'll also add:Passing up chance to buy MINT copies of Saturn Deep Fear £50 and P.D.Saga £75 many years back, as i thought i'd wait until they dropped in price...

dcultrapro

a big mistake for me recently is that I should've bought Castlevania SOTN cheap when it was out and went into bargain buckets at the time. Now people are asking for stupid amounts.

I also really regret mission out on Atari Karts for the Jag, I never knew about it when I was younger and avoided buying it because of bad reviews but played it at RV2012.5 this year and thought it was great fun
Ultrapro on xbox live

CeefaxOfDelphi

this gen: buying a Wii (even if only for the kids)

retro: trusting the fly-by-night seller of a Mega-CD that it worked and paying £60 for essentially a plastic box. 

TL

Quote from: "CeefaxOfDelphi"this gen: buying a Wii (even if only for the kids)

retro: trusting the fly-by-night seller of a Mega-CD that it worked and paying £60 for essentially a plastic box.

Damn! You are going to hate me but I picked up my Mega Drive & Mega CD 1 for £35 including 5 games, oh and it was all boxed  :P

dougtitchmarsh

Letting my brother sell his Colecovision and a couple of games and not keeping it when I had the chance. Also selling a working NES, a lot of games and a nice games box a couple of years ago along with a boxed C64 because we needed some money.
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

Flukesy

Letting my missus clear out an old cupboard and never realised there were a couple of collectible SNES titles in there.
I won't list because I may cry