Author Topic: Atari Jaguar Must Have Games  (Read 1506 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile
Atari Jaguar Must Have Games
« on: February 08, 2012, 21:07:45 PM »
Here is my top 10 games that are cheap and easy to get hold of:

Ultra Vortek - The best fighting game on the Jaguar by a distance this is pretty much a straight MK rip-off but has really nice graphics and sound, loads of great death moves, plays really fast and has a few secrets to find too!

Iron Soldier - Around the time the Jag came out these mech games were all the rage and this game is one of the best. Walk around a 3D world in a giant mech and blow sh!t up, what's not to like about that?

Doom - Yeah ok its on loads of other systems but the Jag version is the best of its generation and still the only console version of Doom to be programmed by teh creator of the game John Carmack himself!

Super Burnout - This game for me is the Jaguar's Outrun. One of the best racers on any console of its generation it has some amazing fast gameplay, great graphics, stunning music and even a 2-player mode!

Ruiner Pinball - If you like the Dragon's Fury games on the Megadrive and PC Engine then you will know what to expect here. 2 massive tables of fantasy styled pinball madness and it saves your high scores to the cart.

Raiden - For me this is the definative conversion of this game. Some rag on the big side bar but its there to keep the original arcade game's perspective correct. Great in 1 player this game is even better in 2.

Power Drive Rally - Despite having the same name this is more of a sequel to the Megadrive/SNES/PC game. Top down racing at its finest with tons of courses, great graphics and the ability to save your progress.

Tempest 2000 - I am sure I don't really need to say much about this game. Jeff Minter's classic is widely regarded as one of the best games ever and the Jag version is the original and definative version of these.

Missile Command 3D - The only released game that works with the abandoned VR helmet the 3D effect in VR mode is simply incredible even without it. My favourite Jag game and one that really shows what the system can do.

I-War - A bit like Cybermorph but in a tank this is probably the most under rated game on the system. Undoubtably influenced by the Tron films it has some lovely shaded 3D graphics and a techno sountrack.

Offline TL

• View Profile
Re: Atari Jaguar Must Have Games
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 21:08:15 PM »
And here are the 10 more expensive / rare games that are worth getting:

Zero 5 - Incredibly hard game that looks bloody incredible its mixes STUN Runner like sequences with 3D space shooting and works really well. If you like a challenge then this is the right game for you!

Skyhammer - Programmed by the same team as AVP this is another game that really shows what the Jag can do. Very reminicent of Blade Runner with its dark fully textured 3D worlds and futuristic theme.

Iron Soldier 2 - While the CD version is better and cheaper it is also available on cart and makes many improvements over the excellent original including better graphics and more varied missions too.

Protector: Special Edition - This Defender clone is not just better than the original its one of the best games on the Jag full stop. A real must have game that was most interesting programmed by Bethesda Softworks!

Worms - Another one of those games that seemed to appear on just about everything the Jag version seems to have more colours on screen than other versions and also lacks the annoying bugs that were in the PS1/Saturn game.

Total Carnage - A 100% arcade perfect conversion of the fantastic Midway arcade game that was released a few years back now by Songbird and still available on their website. You must have a pro-controller though in order to play the game properly, its nar impossible to play on the standard controller.

International Sensible Soccer - It might have appeared on just about every other console but the Jag version is more faithful to the ST/Amiga original (ie not stupidly easy!) and has the best computer AI of any version.

Atari Karts - If you love the Mario Kart games then this is a title you should own. A blatant rip-off that stars one Bentley Bear who was last seen in the old Atari arcade game Crystal Castles! Brilliant 2-player game too.

Alien Vs. Predator - One of the few Jag games that everyone seems to know everything about. Still the best game in the AVP series in my opinion it stands the test of time as one of few genuinely scary games out there.

Rayman - It may have also appeared on the PS1 and on the Saturn but the Jag version is the orginal one and also the best one. It features over twice as many colours on screen as both the other versions and a few gameplay differences.

Offline dubchaser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 18:47:11 PM »
If we are talking must haves, I'd go for:

Alien vs. Predator
Cybermorph
Doom
Iron Soldier
Missle Command 3D
Protector
Tempest 2000

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 18:50:06 PM »
I only have 4 games forĀ  my Jag so i will go with the below and in that order. AVP is awesome.

Alien vs. Predator
Cybermorph
Doom
Tempest 2000
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline 108 Stars

• View Profile
    • http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 21:01:31 PM »
Short list from me as I'm not much of a Jaguar player. HAven't played that many games on it.

• Doom: Great port of the game. The missing sound is a shame, but at least the game runs smooth and playability is great.
  • Iron Soldier: Very impressive game. The slow mech action was not perfect to set the American gamers on fire I guess, but if you can live with it's slowness you will find it awesome to move around so freely in a 3D envitoment being able to destroy everything around you.
  • Rayman: Haven't played the Jaguar version, but based on the PS1 version I think I can safely put the game here. Great 2D visuals, very solid gameplay. A bit too tough for me though
  • Wolfenstein 3D: It's Doom Light. Nice enough.
  • Alien versus Predator: Some great atmosphere and detailed greaphics; also good replay value. Sadly it is choppier than Doom (not because of the framerate, it seems to be a tech thing) and the hit detection is not very exact; your shots tend to hit walls when they are clearly passing beside the walls for example. These issues were known and meant to be fixed for the CD-version, but it never came to that. I really wish the game would save maps though, whenever I change a floor all map data is lost.
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

Offline Jag_Slave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 14:06:18 PM »
Ultra vortek

Zero 5

Tempest 2k

AVP

Doom

Defender 2k

Val Skiing

NBA Jam