Let's Compare Double Dragon

Started by TrekMD, September 14, 2012, 22:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

There are so many versions of Double Dragon, that this needs two separate videos! The first one has 7 different versions and the second has another 7.  The 7800 version could have benefited from a POKEY chip!  I'm impressed at how well the Lynx version holds up too.  Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBcBDuItqtM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfQ80UMlFTo

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Most people know I am a HUGE Double Dragon game, I played the arcade game so much back in the day. Sadly most of the home conversions are terrible, especially the home computer versions. In that video he missed out the horendous Spectrum conversion and the incredibly poor ST version, although it's identical to the Amiga (or Amega as he mis-spells it in that video). I still think it's criminal that those versions had no music too.

It's a bit silly including the Game Gear and SNES titles as they are completely different games and not conversions of the arcade game. The NES version is different to the arcade too but does have some similarities while the GBA version is like an update so is also a bit different.

I still the 2600 version is great for what it is, some of the backgrounds look amazing in it and the music is the best on the machine IMO. The 7800 is pretty decent but like you say it could have done with a POKEY chip. The Megadrive / Genesis version is probably the most arcade perfect, although some of the music sounds a bit weird. The Lynx version is the best for me though, the zoomed in look works really well. Shame the music all sounds off on emulation though (as you can hear in that video) here is what the excellent music should sound like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6wlQIaYQE4

TrekMD

The 2600 version is quite impressive.  It is amazing that it was even done for the system.  Have you seen the hacks that have been done of it?  They look pretty amazing and bring the game to a new level.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"The 2600 version is quite impressive.  It is amazing that it was even done for the system.  Have you seen the hacks that have been done of it?  They look pretty amazing and bring the game to a new level.

I saw them the other day, very nice indeed. A homebrew team are actually doing a remake of the Spectrum version for 128k machines which looks like its going to be amazing, I am particularly impressed with the music:

First of all here that shameful original version I talked about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OszbHJZrb0w

And here is the new version that is coming out soon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3oaobLzzM

They really did nail that music perfectly.

Rogue Trooper

Thread bump!

Been 'mentioning' GAMEStm's Conversion Catastrophe' over last few days, latest i'm bringing to the table, Atari 2600 Double Dragon.

Whilst they admit the 2 pieces of hardware are worlds apart graphically (coin-op+2600), and they wonder why anyone thought the 2 would be a good match, they moan about

'The music is just a few monotonus tones that endlessly loop, and the gameplay is abysmal.You'll get past the 1st screen by spamming the same 2 attacks, but the enemies learn to do the same and trap you in an endless fly-kick combo until your out of life'.

'There's nothing to pick up and interactive with (i.e cannot pick up any weapons).'

'Atari's single button controller makes combat difficult...a chore compared to the arcade....proves 2600 just was'nt suited to some types of game'

They do praise the backgrounds, particularly on the later screens, saying Activision has done a great job of simulating a city skyline.

TL

Yet more nonsense from GamesTM!

• The game actually has all the music from the arcade original and it sounds fantastic considering the hardware. It even has the separate music for when you get to fight Abobo!
  • Yes you can spam certain attacks but the same can be said for most beat 'em ups if you are honest. The enemies only trap you if you are rubbish at the game.
  • There are weapons you can grab and use so that also shows they barely played it.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"Yet more nonsense from GamesTM!

• The game actually has all the music from the arcade original and it sounds fantastic considering the hardware. It even has the separate music for when you get to fight Abobo!
  • Yes you can spam certain attacks but the same can be said for most beat 'em ups if you are honest. The enemies only trap you if you are rubbish at the game.
  • There are weapons you can grab and use so that also shows they barely played it.

Good work that man.

I'm going to keep the spotlight on media claims and piece by piece, break down the false claims that are being passed off as FACT.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "The Laird"Yet more nonsense from GamesTM!

I should add, copule other nominations i've uncovered in this area in GAMEStm have been:

Street Fighter 2 on 64 and Cisco Heat on the Amiga, 1st i'd say was very fair, but never played 2nd on Amiga, tried Demo.on ST, but so long ago i honestly cannot recal anything about it.

guest4277

I played it on the Nes, Spectrum, Amiga and Arcade, my favourite being the NES. There's just something about that version that works for me and recent play through all those version again confirmed it again.

I am particularly fond of the helicopter section.

TL

Quote from: "MondoWray"I played it on the Nes, Spectrum, Amiga and Arcade, my favourite being the NES. There's just something about that version that works for me and recent play through all those version again confirmed it again.

I have always thought the NES version was bloody awful, the only good thing about it is the music.

Crusto

There's some vile stinkers in with that lot. Seems like the MD version is the one to go for, but the sound is weird. I'm sure they could have made it sound more accurate than that. The characters sound like they are puking up when you kill them in the god awful Amiga version.
Bitches leave

TL

Quote from: "Crusto"There's some vile stinkers in with that lot. Seems like the MD version is the one to go for, but the sound is weird. I'm sure they could have made it sound more accurate than that. The characters sound like they are puking up when you kill them in the god awful Amiga version.

Yeah that is the one thing that lets the MD version down, the music is just a bit weird. But the MD and Lynx versions are without doubt the most accurate and the best versions.

nakamura

Quote from: "MondoWray"I played it on the Nes, Spectrum, Amiga and Arcade, my favourite being the NES. There's just something about that version that works for me and recent play through all those version again confirmed it again.

Loooove the NES game. It worked for me too.

Just ordered Super Double Dragon on SNES too. :)

Rogue Trooper

Few ACE scores for you:

ST ACE Rating 275 (they completed it on 1st attempt).

AMIGA ACE Rating 298 (slightly harder, faster gameplay and smoother scrolling).

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Few ACE scores for you:

ST ACE Rating 275 (they completed it on 1st attempt).

AMIGA ACE Rating 298 (slightly harder, faster gameplay and smoother scrolling).

Both versions are definitely horrible