Let's Compare Donkey Kong!

Started by TrekMD, September 12, 2012, 18:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Just watched this comparison video that organizes it in "order of greatness."  What do you think? 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Vadergb

I'm glad i've read this thread. I'm a big fan of DK and interesting to see the various Youtube videos. What muddies the ground are the later remakes versus the originals - people often get misled what garbage some of the early versions were.

As original's conversions go I still think the Colecovision and the NES ones are my favorite. The Atari remake for the 2600 is stunning too and my favorite remake by a mile.

I'd seen most of them running in the past but the Amstrad version looked good. I'd like to try that version for real.

TrekMD

Yes, I think the homebrew versions for the 2600, 7800 and Intellivision are very impressive and really bring the game a new level.  The 7800 XM version has to be most arcade accurate version out there.

TrekMD

This thread has had any action in a long time but while I was writing an article for Old School Gamer I noticed something interesting.  The 7800 and NES versions of this game look surprisingly similar.  The 7800 does widen the screen more and the colors are different but the overall look of the levels is quite similar.  The scores are done in a similiar style, the hammers are on the same positions, Pauline is on a platform that is lower, etc.  I have to wonder if this had to do with Nintendo's license to Atari for creating the port.

Atari 7800                                                                         NES                                                       

TrekMD

Here's a new video that looks at the various Atari versions of Donkey Kong...

TrekMD

Well, more Donkey Kong.  I discovered this channel today.  This specific video is about the defeat of Donkey Kong in various versions...

TrekMD

And now the DEATH of Mario in ever version!