The 3DO Topic

Started by onthinice, September 10, 2012, 19:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobinator

Quote from: "64bitRuss"Not impressed with either of those games. Is there only one weapon in Monster Manor? If so that is pathetic, I couldn't play that one at all.

From what I played, you're pretty much right. I mean, the monsters look pretty good, but there's pretty much NO variety to it at all. Even Wolfenstien 3D had more content than Monster Manor did, especially when you consider that the 3DO had like THE best version of Wolfenstien.

PO'd is a lot more impressive, if you don't feel like getting its PS1 port instead. It's a little more on the scale of something like Doom. Either that, or Killing Time, which is 'flat' like Wolfenstien. I haven't tried either of those much, but I should get around to giving them a shot.

TL

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Optimouse

So, this must be the first demoscene demo for the 3DO.
I am one of the programmers and I am happy to announce, after working secretly for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UhHLPjJCWs
ISO here

I am new to the 3DO and I am also looking for more resources. I might either do more demos but thinking seriously about homebrew gamedev. I am really curious right now to see how much the hardware can be pushed, I identified many bottlenecks and faster ways to do things, burning many CDs on the real hardware (because the emulators do not emulate at all the bottlenecks of the GPU). There are still many things I don't understand, and I was thinking to join some of the forums and discuss about programming. I joined the 3DO Zone forum but I still wait for activation. Also the Freedo forum the same thing and I can't even read the messages there. So, anyone responsible for these forums that can do something about it?

WiggyDiggyPoo

I like the 3do, its an interesting console and has an approach that was (shared architecture) I think ahead of its time - Steambox is going down the shared architecture route for instance.

Nice sampler, I'm looking forward to the full one when ready  :113:

Shadowrunner

I'm a big 3DO fan, but it's homebrew scene is definitely lacking! Nice to see someone trying to change that, great demo and looking forward to seeing more :113:

ArcadeAction

My random 3DO post...

I bought the system specifically for Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and built a home arcade cabinet using a 3DO just for that game. I took apart controllers and wired them into arcade controls.

Some of my favorite times on the system included:

-Alone in the Dark (great music, and I just thought it was fun. In hand to hand combat you could cancel a kick and punch into each other for a 3 hit combo). This game was like a cross between the Kings Quest games and Tombraider.
-Star Control II (two player melee battle was a lot of fun, pick this up and play against a friend if you haven't)
-Return Fire
-Doom (yes it had a low framerate, but the music is spectacular, just far better than any other version. PS1 Doom is really great however, but different, and I enjoy both versions) Doom was simply so much fun on all the platforms.
-Battlesport (playing with friends)
-I had fun with the pack in games Crash 'n Burn, and Total Eclipse.
-Need for Speed was fun
-Playing music CDs on it and watching the visualizer play.
-Having a headphone jack on the control was a great idea I thought.

And the game that was SUPPOSED to come out, but never did, The 11th Hour... I really wanted to play that game.

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "arcadeaction"My random 3DO post...

I bought the system specifically for Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and built a home arcade cabinet using a 3DO just for that game. I took apart controllers and wired them into arcade controls.

-Alone in the Dark (great music, and I just thought it was fun. In hand to hand combat you could cancel a kick and punch into each other for a 3 hit combo). This game was like a cross between the Kings Quest games and Tombraider.
-Star Control II (two player melee battle was a lot of fun, pick this up and play against a friend if you haven't)
-Return Fire
-Doom (yes it had a low framerate, but the music is spectacular, just far better than any other version. PS1 Doom is really great however, but different, and I enjoy both versions) Doom was simply so much fun on all the platforms.
-Need for Speed was fun

And the game that was SUPPOSED to come out, but never did, The 11th Hour... I really wanted to play that game.

Nice summary, I had a lot of the same experiences :) I wasn't hardcore enough to make an arcade cabinet for it, but Star Control II, Crash 'n Burn, and Total Eclipse were some of my favourite games for the system. It was also my main CD player at the time so the visualizer got a lot of use and the headphone jack was definitely a great idea!

zapiy

Quote from: "Optimouse"So, this must be the first demoscene demo for the 3DO.
I am one of the programmers and I am happy to announce, after working secretly for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UhHLPjJCWs
ISO here

I am new to the 3DO and I am also looking for more resources. I might either do more demos but thinking seriously about homebrew gamedev. I am really curious right now to see how much the hardware can be pushed, I identified many bottlenecks and faster ways to do things, burning many CDs on the real hardware (because the emulators do not emulate at all the bottlenecks of the GPU). There are still many things I don't understand, and I was thinking to join some of the forums and discuss about programming. I joined the 3DO Zone forum but I still wait for activation. Also the Freedo forum the same thing and I can't even read the messages there. So, anyone responsible for these forums that can do something about it?

Sadly the video appears to have been deleted?

Quote from: "arcadeaction"My random 3DO post...

-Return Fire
-Need for Speed was fun

Nice input fella..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Shadowrunner

Just read a great interview with the guy who created Return Fire for the 3DO. He talks a lot about the game but also about the video game industry in the early 90's and there's a ton of info about the 3DO in general.

http://www.funstock.co.uk/news/an-inter ... -industry/

Greyfox

Excellent stuff, possible a story line that hasn't really been touched on in true deep capacity as regards to some of the great companies who produce some great games, this been one of them on the 3do. Would make a great collective feature I would most definitely read.

But for now, this piece of excellence will have to do. Cheers Shadowrunner for revealing it. :113:

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Greyfox"Excellent stuff, possible a story line that hasn't really been touched on in true deep capacity as regards to some of the great companies who produce some great games, this been one of them on the 3do. Would make a great collective feature I would most definitely read.

But for now the piece of excellence will have to do. Cheers Shadowrunner for revealing it. :113:

TrekMD

This thread has not seen activity in a long while but I thought this video by John Hancock was worth sharing.  On this video, John takes a look at some iconic 3DO game releases that you check out.   

Going to the final frontier, gaming...